Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
is awesome
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since you guys love me, and I have too much time on my hands, I made this chart (mainly for myself initially) but thought I would share since it's kind of handy.

Let's say you're considering going with 16" rims instead of 17" rims. Well, a good consideration would take into account what sizes that you want to run. You don't want to get used to running a certain size only to have that one eventually become unavailable just like the 225/60-14 and the 235/60-14's rapidly are becoming.

I compiled this list from availabilities from Tires-Easy.com, because they have what seems to be the largest tire selection on the net, hands down. I've looked at VulcanTire.com, DiscountTireDirect.com, and TireDirect.com, and Tires-Easy.com (based out of Portland, OR) seems to have THE MOST.

Now, this is as of January, 2010 for the availability, I'll be updating this with a a LOW / HIGH pair of columns to the right, so that the viewer can see what the cheapest tire, and most expensive tire for that range is. There's other stuff I could do if I were doing this in a table, and I might in fact do that, and just put up a link, but it should give you a broader idea of what tires can be had for what rim/diameter.

Light Green = More than 25 selections
Dark Green = More than 100 selections
Lime Green Outilne = Almost EXACTLY the same tire dimensions as a 225/60-14 (in terms of diameter/circumference, obviously not sidewall/width, Duh...)

Enjoy, and discuss.

If I get enough people asking I'll do one up for 15" tires too.

·
is awesome
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is your turbo replaced yet?

Nice work on the charts
Yeah, got it done this evening. Absolutely MUST have had a bad turbo out of the box. From the way this one spools, and sounds... OMG It's amazing. It sounds like a banshee, or a jet engine spooling up. I limited the boost to 10psi for now/break-in and Fuuuuuck, I was spinning the tires even when I wasn't trying. Powering in smoothly @ 35mph, 3rd gear.... tire spin. Roll in a little in 4th gear.... tire spin. Of course it has been very cold, and the roads were damp in spots, but it was ridiculous. Switched back to 5w-30 full synthetic. Don't want to run the chance of Dino Oil perchance being the culprit.

Very nice work on the charts. I like.
Thanks, I think I'm going to update it with Low/High price ranges so that people can see what the price range is for a given tire size. I'll probably do that tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
While at the NEPA meet I was checking out Speedbuggy's tires which were 215/70R14's, and they seemed to be a nice fit. Checked Wal Mart when I got back to Ohio, and they are available for $70 each.

I copied a link to show what the tire looks like on his car....

[/QUOTE]

·
Supra since '86
5,472 Posts
tirerack.com lists nine street and track tyres that 245/45-16.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?width=245/&ratio=45&diameter=16&x=96&y=14

I did a quick search to see what was offered in the UK and found six street tyres offered that are all not offered by the tirerack.com,

http://www.national.co.uk/tyres-size-search.aspx?Width=225&Profile=45&Diameter=16&Rating=&LoadIndex=

Another quick search to see what was offered in Germany and found seven street tyres offered that are all not offered by the tirerack.com,

http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop.pl

I have talked to a Yokohama distributor here last year and he said he could bring in tyres even DOT certified if required. Group buy...

There are many 225/50-16 available every where.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I just ran through those links in the post just above this one, reviewing availability of 245/45/16.
Only 1 of those listed at Tirerack is a street tire. The UK link now only shows 3 and the Germany store shows 5 (including the 3 from UK). BUT when I noticed the Germany link looks just like Tires-easy.com, I decided to check there and found 2 of these plus the 1 from Tirerack listed at Tires-Easy.com.
So total of 6 brand/types of street tires, 3 of which are sold in the states.

So no need to import these (but may need to buy 17" wheels instead of 16" since the trend is towards extinction of this size, unless you are happy with 225/50 or the larger diameter 245/50).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts