Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
is awesome
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay I need new front tires (I already have fresh, 3 week old 235-60-14's on the back).

I need new front Tires, the local Pep Boys has another pair of Futura GLS 235-60-14s in stock, however I don't really like them due to their soft sidewall. Fine for the wife or random DD person, but I have a 7M-GTE and drive very spirited.

Should I ....

A) Get the 235's which are about $90 each for about $240 all said and done.

B) Order 215-60-14's (slightly shorter sidewall height, but about 3/4" skinnier) which are $50 each, for about $140 all said and done.

C) Order 2 new rims (16x8 0 offset XXR 522's), $250, hubcentric Rings $40, AND two new tires $70 each, about $180, coming to $470.

I'm predisposed to either get the 235's (to potentially later on put on the wife's car) OR get the 215's. Too much to hassle with ordering with option 3 (when I'm getting laid off shortly).

·
is awesome
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, if I was going to still have a job for while longer I'd have ordered the wheels already. Looks like that'll be the next order of business after I get another job. Seriously considering getting welding certification and do that while going to school for mechanical engineering. I have decided to get jobs doing what I truly love doing despite what others have said. (That you'll tire of it and lose the passion.) I just don't see me ever getting tired of welding, cutting, fabricating, and I love engineering.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Sorry but I don't know crap about tires/wheels. But the statement you made about your next profession, of getting tired of it (what ever job) and losing the passion made me laugh, because what is the other side of that coin?? Get a job and hope the passion starts?

BTW go to NTB.com and check it out, I got a "secret" special for the one price tire sale any size, all season Cooper Lifeliner GLS 60,000 mile tire for $69.99, you have to print the coupon. Offer ends 2-28-10.
Good luck

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
If you're going for the 215/60 14's, you can find them with an "H" rating (stiffer sidewall). I've been running some cheap 215's on the front of my DD Supra in the summer, and they really don't slip under hard steering. Mine are also the cheap "S" rating, so I'm sure an H rated tire would do even better. I was also running matching brand 235's in the rear, and the rear would break free before the front. You could also move the 215's to the front of your wife's car when you no longer need them. The front of the car really needs to be adjustable (lowered) for them to look right, though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts