Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 162 Posts

·
is awesome
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A common recurring question amongst new patrons to CelicaSupra.com is where to get replacements for the stock 225/60-14 tires. Assuming you're rocking the stock 14x7 P-Type rim (that seems to be the most common) you'll need to look around, availability keeps getting slimmer.

Quick Facts:

• 82 - 86 P-Type is 14x7 +8 offset.
  • 82 - 84 L-Type is 14x5.5 +27mm offset.
  • 85 Only L-Type is 15x6 +20mm offset.
How to Read your Tire Size

Tires are rated with a series of numbers (most tires other than tractor, off-road/truck, and atv/bicycle tires) that read something like this 225/60-R14

The first number 225 is the actual width of the tread of the tire in Millimeters. This means the contact area of the tire is 225mm wide (or about 8.9")

The second number 60 is a RATIO, like a fraction. It is a ratio of how tall the tire sits off of the ground from the edge of the rim to the ground. This is called the Sidewall Profile In this case the 60 means that the height of the tire is 60% of the 225mm width. You can figure this out easily by multiplying 225*.6 (60%) which gives you a sidewall height of 135mm or about 5.3". The lower this number means the less rubber there is between the rim and the road. The benefit is increased handling performance because of less sidewall flex The downside is that you increase the chance damaging your rims from huge potholes, and the tires are much more difficult to install (yourself).

The last number R14 reads like this, the R simply means it's a Radial tire instead of a Bias tire. This is simply the modern standard method of manufacture, Bias-ply tires pretty much suck, don't ride or hold up as well for a number of reasons. If you want to know, go google it. Some tires will list the R others will not. The number we care about is the 14, this is the diameter of the tire/rim. You HAVE to match this number, otherwise the tire either won't fit, or you risk serious danger to your person and vehicle.

Use this Wheel/Tire Size Calculator for figuring out What Tire will fit what rim, and how much it will change your actual ground speed vs. indicated.

What tires Fit the Stock 14x7 Rim

Apparently the widest tire you can economically (by that I mean NOT cost $200 per tire) put on 7" wide 14" rim is a 245 tire in a 60 series.

Where to Find Tires

TireRack.com - Good Reputation
Tires-Easy.com - Huge Selection, Unknown reputation
VulcanTire.com - Specialize in Race/Auto-X tires, Falken Azenis, Yoko Avid etc.

There are others like DiscountTire.com and LesSchwab.com but they charge like 15% more.

As of Writing this

A 245/60-14 is:
  • 1" taller overall, which means the car sits 1/2" higher
  • 1" wider overall
  • Will travel 2.3mph FASTER than Indicated
245/60-14's only available @ Tires-Easy.com starting @ $76

A 235/60-14 is:
  • 1/2" taller overall, which means the car sits 1/4" higher
  • 1/2" wider overall
  • Will travel 1.2mph FASTER than Indicated
235/60-14's available @ Tires-Easy.com starting @ $62-$82
235/60-14's available @ TireRack.com starting @ $78
235/60-14's available @ VulcanTire.com starting @ $63 & $98

Stock Tire Size

225/60-14's available @ Tires-Easy.com starting @ $67-$77
225/60-14's available @ TiresRack.com starting @ $78

SMALLER THAN STOCK Tires

A 225/50-14 is:
  • 1.7" shorter overall, which means the car sits 7/8" lower
  • Same Width overall
  • Will travel 4.2mph SLOWER than Indicated
Lower Profile 225's (PERFORMANCE - Toyo, Kumho, Hoosier)
225/50-14's available @ Tires-Easy.com starting @ $147-$190
225/50-14's available @ TireRack.com starting @ $178-$201

A 215/60-14 is:
  • 7/16 shorter overall, which means the car sits about 3/16" lower
  • 7/16" narrower overall
  • Will travel 1.1mph SLOWER than Indicated
Economy --> Performance (best selction, about 20 to choose from)
215/60-14's available @ Tires-Easy.com starting @ $31-$125
215/60-14's available @ TireRack.com starting @ $67-109
215/60-14's available @ VulcanTire.com starting @ $59

A 205/60-14 is:
  • 7/8" shorter overall, which means the car sits about 7/1616" lower
  • 3/4" narrower overall
  • Will travel 2.3mph SLOWER than Indicated
Economy --> Performance
205/60-14's available @ Tires-Easy.com starting @ $43-$87
205/60-14's available @ TireRack.com starting @ $49-$191
205/60-14's available @ VulcanTire.com starting @ $49-$69

Hope that helps and happy motoring.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
A 215/60-14 tire would be ~1.1 mph slower

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
You have a ton of info that you did the research for. It is a great job and you made a little mistake. I commend you on taking the time to go through and do this since it will save a lot of people time when searching for tires for the stock rims.

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
I recently put a Michelin 215/60-14 up against a 225/60-14 cooper cobra, both on stock p wheels. Quick conclusions-215s give you straighter sidewall, thus utilizing more tread surface. Manufacturers specs vary, look closely at specs of same tire type in BOTH sizes mounted on 7 inch rim, and you will see that some 215s have similar or same tread width listed! Only drawback is if you need/want height(Speedo accuracy/Looks).

·
is awesome
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes great write up !! This tire calculator has helped me for years so maybe it can help someone here as well..:)

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

offset calculator

http://www.1010tires.com/WheelOffsetCalculator.asp
I never liked the Miata calculator because it doesn't properly update the image with the side by side comparison of overal tire height, sidewall height, and rim diameter.

Which is why I love this one over @ BigCustomWheels becuase you can play with both tire size, rim size, AND offset all at once and compare them.

·
Registered
101 Posts
KM......Thanks for the info as I am searching now for replacements. You really helped me out. I was having a helluva time searching.
PO
:woot: great thread....and very useful

·
Registered
36 Posts
I read this thread and because I did I was able to find some tires that I really needed. I had to go with a 235/60/R14. Got all 4 at Les Schwab for $450.00. And they are a T rated speed tire.
Later,
PO

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
whats the brand name on the sidewall?

·
is awesome
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I read this thread and because I did I was able to find some tires that I really needed. I had to go with a 235/60/R14. Got all 4 at Les Schwab for $450.00. And they are a T rated speed tire.
Later,
PO
Glad I could help. It's great you found the tires you needed, however it's sad that production for these sizes is dropping and along with it the prices rising. Last year I got 4 235/60/R14's from Les Schwab in San Diego for about $400 or so installed.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'm gonna render a guess, from my experience, that they are bf goodrich radial ta's or whatever.
That would be my guess - Tirerack.com has them for $81 plus shipping, if you have to pay to mount, Les Schwab is pretty much spot on...

·
Registered
486 Posts
The bf goodrich TA's are a T rated tire (112 mph). I don't plan to go over that often, but I do plan to go over it occasionally, hopefully in the quarter mile. I guess I will have to go to larger wheels, but to get the ones I want, I will have to go to 5 lugs. Wish I could find someone that just sells a 5 lug conversion.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Depending on the offset of the rims you want, there are 4 to 5 lug adapters. But I think if you do the front 5 lug swap and then take the hubs in to a machine shop to get them filled/drilled and new studs presses in, it will only be a little more expensive.

·
Registered
104 Posts
This site has 235/60/14's for really cheap, 4 shipped for $360

https://www.onlinetires.com

before i found this site i ordered two 235/60/14 from this place below for $181 shipped, looks like the place above is about the same or a hair cheeper depending on ur location.

http://stores.tirezoneusa.com/-strse-315/2356014/Detail.bok

either way i haven't been able to find any cooper 225/60/14's in about 2 years so finding the 235's is even better...i think one of the sites above even has 225's if someone is looking for them.

i've use the cooper's the yokohoma's avids and a kumo sub brand and one or 2 more and i personally think the cooper tires work the best with these cars.

A++

1 - 20 of 162 Posts