Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

21 - 40 of 164 Posts

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
I personally know someone who DOES NOT like there Cobras at ALL. Too hard and suck in the rain IIRC...
(on an 84)

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Supra Toy
They are Grand Prix Perfomance. So far even though the car sit's higher the tires seem good. I like them so far.
I just noticed this.....hope the tires are still holding grip for you since these are the re-brands of the Grand Am GT's. Same tire and everything, just that the company changed names.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks so much for this thread. I was having the hardest time finding tires for my 84, an this was the only place i was able to get real help. Thanks a lot for this thread. :)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Thanks so much for this thread. I was having the hardest time finding tires for my 84, an this was the only place i was able to get real help. Thanks a lot for this thread. :)
This site is a great resource:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Somebody know what happend if use an 15 X 7 wheel, what tire is the most recomendable.
Regards,
Carlos Mario
Whatever you can get in Ecuador!.
225/50/15 with 'H' rating or better.
Later in the alphabet is a higher speed rating.
In North America, there are several tires in the 225/50/15 size available in 'V', 'W' and 'Z' ratings. Just depends on how much you want to pay...

Ken

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
with 'H' rating or better.
Later in the alphabet is a higher speed rating.
Just to clarify, 'H' does not fit where you would think logically (S, T, and U are lower). I think it used to stop at 'T' for domestics, but some foreign cars had better performing tires that they labeled 'H' for 'High Performance'. Then along came even higher ratings with the 'V' -'Z'.

'S' is rated to 112 mph and has relatively soft sidewalls,
'T' to 118 mph and slightly stiffer sidewall than 'S',
'U' to 124 mph,
'H' to 130 mph with firm sidewall,
'V' to 149 mph,
'W' to 168 mph,
'Y' to 186 mph,
and 'Z' is anything above 186 mph.

Our cars came from the factory with 'H' rated tires and using a lesser rating is not recommended.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Cobras

I personally know someone who DOES NOT like there Cobras at ALL. Too hard and suck in the rain IIRC...
(on an 84)
Donn: was this a forum member? We get a lot of rain here in Seattle, so I would appreciate more feedback on the Coopers. Has anyone else tried the Cooper Cobras? I know that the wider the tire, the more they will hydroplane on wet pavement. So 225 is already pretty wide for our light supras, and 235 means even worse hydroplane in rain. Your opinions are appreciated, as my ex-wife has been borrowing my daily driver for months (and will probably never give it back) so the Supra has become my D.D. again, and it needs tires bad!

·
Registered
2 Posts
BFG TA's are only S-rated.

As of this month, it seems BFG's are all that are available in 225/60-14. Unless someone cares to share links to something that says otherwise...?

·
Registered
101 Posts
BFG has quit making 235/60-14.

There are still some in warehouses....

·
I like Boost
3,725 Posts
BFG has quit making 235/60-14.

There are still some in warehouses....
are you sure about that. I just bought a set with the manufacturing date the end of 2008.

as of winter 2008 they were still making them. They are also still available on their USA site.

·
Registered
59 Posts
according to what I looked up, America's Tire only carries the BFG radial T/A in a 235/60/14, and doesn't even have 225/60 available, but Wal-Mart (be careful who does your tires though, I work there and know who I can trust at my store) has 225/60, 235/60, AND 245/60 all available through special order. Best bet though, in my experience, open up the phone book, and call around. The only thing to be sure of though, many tire shops have started requiring that in order to work on your vehicle, you have to be buying tires with the same minimum load and speed ratings as originally installed on vehicle. The original speed rating was an H, which means it must either be H, V, W, Y, or Z speed rating at tire shops that have a policy like that. Most tires will meet the minimum load rating anyways, so that's not normally an issue. But when you call around, ask if they have a policy like that, because most, if not ALL tires in stock size or close to stock size will be S or T rated. I had to do my tires as a carry in at Wal-Mart, and I went there because I get 10% off

21 - 40 of 164 Posts