Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend wants to purchase a car that he came across. Skipping the car details and everything the seller says the car was fraudulently stolen (the title not the car) and that he has all the paperwork (police and others) that you would need to prove in order to get the title. The car is definitely worth the asking price, but I said lemme find out for him before he makes the purchase and get scammed. The funny thing is he has another car about the same type with a title but runs bad for the same price. but the one without the title is the better buy.

think of it like this u have a P-type 5spd with no title (but paper work) runs perfectly or a L-type automatic that needs work about double the value in work

but anyway the question really lies with what procedures can he take in order to make sure that this is no scam or that the car isnt stolen, or what should be provided in the seller's own paperwork?

·
Registered
365 Posts
So why can't the seller apply for a replacement title, if he has all the records?

·
Registered
472 Posts
should be able to apply for a replacement title. he can go to the tag office and have one sent to his house (ga is like $8).

·
Registered
365 Posts
...and same here in FL.

I know someone who had the same situation here in FL. They went with the current owner to the DMV, and the owner showed proof and signed for, the transfer to the new title.

So per my first posting, either way the owner has to verify to the FL DMV that he was the legal owner, before transferring the title.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
...and same here in FL.

I know someone who had the same situation here in FL. They went with the current owner to the DMV, and the owner showed proof and signed for, the transfer to the new title.

So per my first posting, either way the owner has to verify to the FL DMV that he was the legal owner, before transferring the title.
The seller states that he cannot go to the DMV himself since he works 70hrs a week.

Tho can this be done without the seller being present?

·
Registered
365 Posts
The seller states that he cannot go to the DMV himself since he works 70hrs a week.

Tho can this be done without the seller being present?
Hmmmm.....

I suppose the seller could notarize their portion of the title transfer forms.
More info on FL-DMV here: http://www.flhsmv.gov/DMV/faqtitle.html
Or call them directly for specific information.

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
why he cant mail all the paperwork, or go to the dmv website , maybe he is not the owner...make a copy of the paperwork and take it to the dmv, if u buy it make a notarized bill of sale, id of that guy in case u get ...fuck!!!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here's where he might flake I asked for a VIN number to do a carfax on. I sent it kinda late but we'll see what happens tomorrow if he responds.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Im mot to sure how it works where you are but here in TN its very hard to actualy get your car titled with somthing like that going on i would not buy it until he has a title to be signed over. ive been in that situation before with my first supra and i got burned.

+1 zuprax85 i would get copies of all the paperwork and bring it to the county clerk and see what they say

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yea we gotta check and see how much he would go through with providing us info, and since he claims he cannot come to the dmv i would say we get the vin check carfax and go to the dmv and get info on the car and what would be needed. if he starts with some bs then i know its best to inform him that the car needs to be left alone.

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
is never too late when someone wants to sell a car, maybe he has a lien release (who knows) keep us update and if get the car, post some pics !!!!

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
So you do not trust the guy to help you with the DMV, but you trust him enough to hand you a VIN that could be any car that he happens to write down. Plus Carfax is a joke.

And if he claims it is easy to do the title, but works all the time, I still call BS since if he actually wanted to sell the car, he would take the hour out of one of his "busy" days and get the paperwork sorted out. I have seen many people get burned by many different cars since they fell for pretty much the same thing.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
is never too late when someone wants to sell a car, maybe he has a lien release (who knows) keep us update and if get the car, post some pics !!!!
here's the link to the guy's ad http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/cto/1376444632.html

So you do not trust the guy to help you with the DMV, but you trust him enough to hand you a VIN that could be any car that he happens to write down. Plus Carfax is a joke.

And if he claims it is easy to do the title, but works all the time, I still call BS since if he actually wanted to sell the car, he would take the hour out of one of his "busy" days and get the paperwork sorted out. I have seen many people get burned by many different cars since they fell for pretty much the same thing.
i dont trust anyone till the sale is complete. im saying sometimes its the little things that can put the person out there. u can ask for the vin and then u never hear from them again. also with the vin not only can i go with carfax but i can check with the PD and see if the car comes up as stolen or whatever, and if there is some type of police paper work involved with the car, which he states that he has.

·
Registered
8,519 Posts
fuck that.... tell him make the car saleable, meaning provide a proper clean title, otherwise the car is worth a fraction of the price. No telling what headaches lay ahead for your bud if he dsnt lay it down.

i cant tell you how much shady biz goes down in the high end and exotic used car marketplace... its mind boggling.

as a buyer, you gotta cross all your Ts and dot all your i's.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
fuck that.... tell him make the car saleable, meaning provide a proper clean title, otherwise the car is worth a fraction of the price. No telling what headaches lay ahead for your bud if he dsnt lay it down.

i cant tell you how much shady biz goes down in the high end and exotic used car marketplace... its mind boggling.

as a buyer, you gotta cross all your Ts and dot all your i's.
yea friend really wanted the car cus of its rarity and somewhat low cost

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
I like the fact that he has no time to take care of the title, but time to do a tune up. I still smell BS.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Offer him another....$50 to go to the DMV with you. I seriously doubt he works 70hrs a week. Otherwise, your buddy may end up with a real hassle.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Offer him another....$50 to go to the DMV with you. I seriously doubt he works 70hrs a week. Otherwise, your buddy may end up with a real hassle.
Hmm yea, I think that might be the best way to get him to come down with us. Like they say "Money Talks" right

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
dude i guess this guy buy car from the impound...seems like he never have the title ( somewhere), be careful for me this guy is a bull shitter, 70 hros...i dont need to buy and sell car if i have a paycheck with 70 hrs (30 hrs overtime) !!!!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts