Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

My MA61 is starting to rust like fungus around the rear antenna. Should I weld a plate and seal the hole so it will never rust again :evil: . If so What should i do for an internal antenna? What makes and models are avaliable?

-or-

Should I keep the rear antenna and just fix around the antenna hole?

I haven't decided what to do... Please Help? :roll:

Cheers.

PS. I do use the radio now and again

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Shave the antenna! They look like tacked on crap :) Radio sucks anyway, that why there's CD players. Or you could swap in an '82 windshield w/internal antenna as previously stated.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
well, im lucky enough to have an 82... but what i was thinking about is getting one of those aftermarket antennas.... not sure how to explain it, but theyre usually used right above the rear window, theyre kinda a lil black box in the center, and two antennas stick out from either side of it.

anyways, i was thinking about getting one of those, and sticking it under the sun shade.

it should be outa sight, and i dont belive fiberglass is really obstructive of radio waves.

ill try to find a pic

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dogstar, do you mean this?

I really don't know... Problems is that in Aust. 82 Mk2 Supras where not imported here thus we did not have internal antennas installed, we only got external antennas... :(

I was thinking a roof mounted one as another alternative like the new ZZT231 Celica roof antenna or that like the (Aust Spec.) VW Bora Euro look antenna?

Cheers...

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
I like the antenna in the stock location....in fact when I put a new quarter in I'm going to install one of those whip style antennas. The stock location gives it a dune buggy look. Call me crazy.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
I yanked the origional retractable and fabricated a holder for a standard antenna(non-retractable) in the stock location.

·
Super Moderator
10,626 Posts
Thats the ticket. I've done similar and I like the look.

But, I did take another approach once with my old 82 that worked really well. It had the hole in the glass for the 82-84 wing. I liked the look of the car better without the wing so I ditched it. Then with a generic 1 foot long antenna I got from the local parts store I mounted it in the hole for the center support on an angle pointing backwards. It looked really good and didn't require any permanent mods to the car (except filling in the old quater antenna hole).

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
yeah, thats what i meant ZZT231
my friends got one under the mini fin he put on his merc 190 and it works like a charm.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
i have an 82 with the internal antenna(windshield) and i works great, i'va had two other vehicles and they lost reception when i went out of town to work, the supra only became crackly oin the deepestvalley on the way. you could try putting antenna wiring underneath or in the rear wing, that might work well. i never looked to see how much a windshield would cost withg the antenna built in new. but i bet it will cost a little bit.

·
Registered
73 Posts
i just looked into it as my car is sort of odd(its an 83, but had one in the glass ???) the previos owner had put one in the front DS fender, i replaced that fender so i am now antannae-less...anyway the in glass ant windshield was 375, while the normal windshield is280...im still trying to decide if its worth 100 bucks for an antannae that will only get used when i go out of town...

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
taraquian said:
the in glass ant windshield was 375, while the normal windshield is280
Those prices are pretty high (about $100 higher than what I was quoted).
I had to call every glass place in the phone book to find the good deals though. I would definitely call around some more if I were you. I think the smaller "mom'n'pop" places ended up being cheaper.

HTH

1 - 13 of 13 Posts