Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I've been wanting to join the Armed Forces for about 3 years or so. Among other reasons, I really liked the Marine Corps because of the sheer difficulty of their Boot Camp, and I love a good challenge... but that doesn't mean it's the right choice for me (if any at all).
Being out of school and young, right now would be prime to enter.
I went to a recruiting office today, but they moved to a different location. After hours of tracking down their new location, the Air Force was the only office open.
The recruiter brought me in and asked me some questions, and got a feel for why I was considering. I passed the little pre-test they had, and he had me do some pull-ups. I managed 10 legitimate pull-ups and he said that I wouldn't have trouble getting into any of the branches based on those two things.
Obviously I'd like to get into shape first, as all I do these days is sit on CS.com or work... haha

Ultimately, I wanted to ask the vast CS.com audience for their input (either from direct or indirect experiences). I know a lot of members here are in some branch, and I would like to know what everyone though about the Marines, Army, Navy, and Air Force. What their highs / lows are, or what sets them apart from the others.

Of course the Air Force recruiter was nice, but he tried to scare me away from the Marines. He mentioned a lot of perks that the AF has over the others, but I'd like to hear more opinions.

To give you guys a better idea, I'm 20 years old, 5'9", 135lbs, no medical problems or history, no criminal record other than a sweet list of speeding tickets, no kids, poor vision (wear contacts), etc....
Honestly, I could excel in an automotive MOS from my previous schooling, but I find Infantry is more appealing to me. I would love to be a combat videographer, but I don't believe there is such a thing anymore. I'm also interested in air craft mechanical / electrical.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
the military is a great option for any one who is young and wants to get up a 5am and be told what to do. but for real you can get a good education and make good money, just choose a job that you will be able to use when you retire. IE there is no need for tank mechanic in the civilian world.

·
Registered
637 Posts
me being 18 made the choice of joining the navy, i suggest you talk to all four recruiters first. make sure they give you the job you really want a recruiter may sometimes screw you over, giving you a job you will regret haha.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
well now you have the option of having a honerable discharge if you dont get the job you wanted

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm going back tomorrow to speak with the other 3 branches. But after speaking with my grandfather who was in the Navy, and a friend that's looking to join too, I may favor the Navy after all.
83zed&supra, do you have any tips I should know, or questions I should ask the recruiter/s?

The Air Force recruiter told me there was no signing bonus, and I should pick at least 10 MOS positions because I'm not guaranteed an MOS. I heard there's still is a signing bonus, and I feel that 10 MOS choices is a lot... made me feel a little sketchy about him.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
the recruiter will tell you that is a lie but dont listen to him
his job is to RECRUIT you!!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Recuiters are paid to BS you. Its better to talk to people that are serving and have been in for a few years. I was 17 when i enlisted. I originaly was going to go for the navy and follow my dads footsteps as being a seabee, But I chose the army. The army in all honesty gives you a lot of perks and help with what you would want to do in the civilian world. The air Force is fine and dandy i spose, but if you want more of a challenge and feel like you put your self on the line and can push yourself more than ever, id go with the army. It will help you out in th end, trust me.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The thing is, I don't really know anyone in the Marine Corps or Army, Only Navy and Air Force. That's mostly why I started this thread though. I've found About.com to be pretty useful too. Especially their "what the recruiter never told you" type stuff.

·
Registered
637 Posts
my only advice to you is be prepared to be in a ship for months, it's a lot harder if you have a girl you care and love for.

·
Registered
386 Posts
To be honest, Marine boot camp while hard, is not difficult. If you are in decent shape and can deal with mindless, boring, repetitive tasks, you're good to go. The physical stuff is hard but not too difficult if you are in good shape. My hardest part at boot was not laughing at the Drill Instructors. I spent the vast majority of every day on the quarter deck doing PT. The seemingly stupid stuff you do repeatedly has a reason. Best way to get through most of that stuff is to just keep your wits about you and do the best that you can. The Drill Instructors are trying get you to work well under pressure and weed out the idiots. They do a good job at the first, but sometimes not so good at the second:laugh: I actually enjoyed basic till I dislocated both of my knees, then it wasn't so much fun. There are still combat camera-people, but I don't recall the MOS. Everybody is right, find members of each branch and talk to them about it. If you don't know any, go to the local VFW or such, you are sure to find plenty there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts