Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been thinking about yanking everything that has to do with AC in the from the firewall to the front bumper. Just to get rid of it all, clean stuff up and get a bit more space going.

It doesnt work, the guy before me said he had it recharged and within days it made no difference. Which means I would have to track down a leak before I could do a r134A conversion, but I never really use it anyways...
I absolutely LOVE windows down and sunroof open in the summer...

But just getting some more opinions.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
KEEP IT
forget all the people that says it saves weight
Keep it and fix it
I love mine though my heaters disconected

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
im not worried about the weight saving.

I know I will never get it fixed...
I have had the car in summers that are 100 or so, and had the money and just never done it...its not a priority and wont be for a while, I still have paint to do, seats, redo most of the stereo.

but I guess it if its still in the car when Im done with the other stuff It will be just ready to fix and use...

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
On my '84 P-type, I pulled everything A/C. With belts and fan clutch removed, it sure helped the 5mge N/A...much less drag on the engine and it ran cooler with twin electric fans - one auto and one switchable, but I live in a part of Canada where A/C is not very necessary. :twocents:

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
FIX IT SCOTT!!!!!

its not to hard she just needs all new rubbers!

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
I just remove mine. I could give 2 shits less about weight. I'm glad to have all of the room I have, and less drag on my engine.

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
I'm not worried about my horsepower gain, that's just a plus. I just like the space I gain, and the fact that i have to dodge less junk to work on my car. Just my preference.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
to everbody there own lol right cody haaaa
idk i love my ac :)

·
POTATO
17,324 Posts
the max hp you lose is 1-2 HP
so it is not really worth it to remove it

Um bullshit, maybe more like 4/5. It all depends on a lot of things, temperature, load etc. but if you don't plan on fixing it, remove the damn thing. it's heavy, it gets in the way, it eats up horsepower.

kthnx.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
its not a greeat ammount of hp though plus scott really does not have to worry about hp because he has a force induction motor.
how is it in the way work around it!
O and its no more heavyer then carrying a fat kid in your car!!!!!!! lol

·
POTATO
17,324 Posts
its not a greeat ammount of hp though plus scott really does not have to worry about hp because he has a force induction motor.
how is it in the way work around it!
O and its no more heavyer then carrying a fat kid in your car!!!!!!! lol

:eekfacepalm:

tell me what the fuck is the point of keeping dead weight in the car? give me a logical reason. he already said he's not going to fix it so why bother keeping it!?!

p.s. just because my car can tow a fucking 5,000lb pickup truck doesn't mean I should all the time. dead weight is dead weight, turbo car or not.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
I went one step further. I took out everything related to the auto climate control.
I swapped in the heater valve, heater controls and vent box from a non AC 82-85 Celica.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
:eekfacepalm:

tell me what the fuck is the point of keeping dead weight in the car? give me a logical reason. he already said he's not going to fix it so why bother keeping it!?!

p.s. just because my car can tow a fucking 5,000lb pickup truck doesn't mean I should all the time. dead weight is dead weight, turbo car or not.

well why not keep it?
he said he might look into it in the future...

plus if you ever decide to sell the car the a/c is extra!
plus i think a car without ac is gay
and psh idk but my 7m NA has more than enough power im sure scotts topping me in HP and TQ range and i know with my ac i can still pull great!

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I went one step further. I took out everything related to the auto climate control.
I swapped in the heater valve, heater controls and vent box from a non AC 82-85 Celica.
yeah Im not really looking to go that far...

but just getting the huge bulky compressor out of the way, the fat hardlines that run through the engine bay, the radiator looking thing (which will free up more airflow to my radiator) all the gunk in front of the radiator so I can get a bigger IC and have all the space in the world for it...

idk, to me personally the pro list seems longer than the con list...

Here in the northwest there is really only 2-3 months where it would be great, the rest a cracked window/sunroof will work.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Um bullshit, maybe more like 4/5. It all depends on a lot of things, temperature, load etc. but if you don't plan on fixing it, remove the damn thing. it's heavy, it gets in the way, it eats up horsepower.
4/5 sounds reasonable -A/C and belts, removing fan/clutch saves even more (free hp).
I agree with Tanya, I'd do it if I wasn't ever planning to fix it.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I plan to fix mine to please the girl. My truck didn't come with A/C and will not get it, but the Supra's gonna be more for show, and in the summer she'd like to get a blast of A/C sometime while riding with me.

As far as it eating HP and Torque, honestly how many of us in this thread really race for something other than stroking one's ego? Tanya, I remember you saying you've driven nothing but a Supra as your DD for a while now, I suppose your 6M would get you around just fine with 5 less HP wouldn't it?

If you aren't going to fix it, and don't mind removing it, remove it. If you do mind, then don't, and take your belt off and forget about it. If you're going to fix it, fix it. Simple. If I wasn't gonna fix mind, it'd just sit there without the belt attached.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts