Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well..decided to take the scenic route home from seeing AVITAR 3D (awesome flic) the back roads produce a barn find Minty Saab Sonett III...very cool car indeed with just 60,000 original miles: lots of barn dust on the car,,,,shame its not covered in my barn.

Pics:::::

·
Registered
464 Posts
what size engine??

·
Registered
434 Posts
How do you get so lucky?

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
blue dots ?? ones on the tail lights, yes..lol....I have never seen or heard of one until today, I was rolling up to it thinking Z car.

No price on the FS sign, of course I have a call in....interior looks as new.

Garman Ford V4

Ive never seen one of those ever. Interesting piece (LOL at the blue dots)

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
Very nice, except for the blue dots. What a way to ruin a perfectly good pair of taillights. :rolleyes: I thought those things were strictly for hillbilly trucks. LOL!!

·
Founding Member
6,523 Posts
Years ago my friend Paul called about a Saab Sonnet for sale and asked me to go with him to look at it. Supposedly original owner, stored for many years. We show up and discover the seller was instead driving an 84 Supra. I believe this happened long before we had this forum but he was on the e-mail list and knew about Supra Owners Group and all, just not very active. The Sonnet was sold to somebody else and I've since lost touch and even forgotten the guy's name. Weird little car tho. As I recall, it was a V-4 engine.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Storry:
Just talked with the "OLD GUY" breaking his heart to sell it. Apparently is was his dads car, he restored it to its present mint condition in 1999 and shortly after died. Current son is selling to help with mortgage payments..tile company owner with no work. Everything works perfectly (he says it zips along just great) Australian deer hide leather seats ? original seats are in mint shape rolled up and come with the car, no rust anywhere ever, repainted dark blue , original 66,000 miles. asking $5500.00 but needs to sell now. I am going to take a look / drive on Wednesday. anyone have interest in the car ?

·
Registered
562 Posts
They are quite oddball. FWD Ford V-4 1250cc (I think) make about 65HP. The original Sonnets instead used 3cyl 2 strokes. Headlights are raised and lower by pulling and pushing on a lever. Warning the cables are notorious for stretching and then the headlights won't go up.

They really are rare and it is amazing to see a rust free one. I have not seen one that clean in probably 20 years. Finding parts for it is a BITCH!!! Neat cars, fun cars, feels like you are going 100MPH when you are going about 40, fall apart just by looking at them. Have fun with it if you decide that you have to have it but I wouldn't buy it. I have owned 3 SAAB's over the years and will not buy another one.

Oh, and if 65HP didn't tell you, they are really slow. They handle decent but shit are they slow!

·
Registered
13,184 Posts
Is the engine backwards, like the 900's? ...that freaked me out the first time I saw it. ...friggin longitudinal motor, belts, cams, and accessories at the firewall, clutch right next to the radiator....

--billyM

·
Registered
562 Posts
Is the engine backwards, like the 900's? ...that freaked me out the first time I saw it. ...friggin longitudinal motor, belts, cams, and accessories at the firewall, clutch right next to the radiator....

--billyM
Nope, it is a normal transverse mount. Just like a transverse V6 except it is a V4. Only the 99's and 900's had the backward engines. They did that so clutch changes were really easy. Belts and water pumps are a nightmare but clutches are easy. :eekfacepalm:

Don't even get me started on how much of a pain it is to change the Timing Chain. I just simply said f**k it and sold the car instead of dealing with it and the other drivetrain problems our last 900T had. Such as shame too since it really was a nice driving car when all was well. Especially with the top down.

·
Premium Member
6,133 Posts
Last time I saw one of these, it was in a barn covered with other Saab parts. Saab freak who gave up on restoring car. Saabs and Volvos are big up here with the granola/earth shoe crowd, so Ive seen a few....

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
cool looking car but i wouldnt waste my coinage on it. i'd rather buy something i could get parts for and possibly re-sell with out that "niche" market of buyers. 70 chevelle, nova, camaro, GTO, supra, z-car etc etc.

I have never seen one of those before. thanks for posting pics and it generated some interesting reading. post a link to a saab forum, maybe someone will scoop it up and help someone out thats down on thier luck.

btw.. it would be cool to stick a 2J under the hood of it and convert to rwd:thumbsup:

·
Registered
13,184 Posts
Nope, it is a normal transverse mount. Just like a transverse V6 except it is a V4. Only the 99's and 900's had the backward engines. They did that so clutch changes were really easy. Belts and water pumps are a nightmare but clutches are easy. :eekfacepalm:
...sometimes engineers lose sight of the basics.

--billyM

·
Registered
788 Posts
nice find, i love the style! until now i have never liked anything from saab, but i've never heard of this car before. it would be pretty sweet to swap in a 3s-gte or other turbo'd 4cyl into it though. it would be a real head turner. since it was restored it should be in good order for a while yet before something breaks on it. rockauto actually has quite a good selection of parts for it surprisingly.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts