Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are tokico hps any good?

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would say "spirited" daily driving, and the occasional run at the track, but never autocross or off-road. Also, is it worth the added cost? I can get a set (4) of tokico HP's for 170, and a set (4) of GAS_RYDER brand for 90 + shipping. Never having heard of gas_ryder brand, I have no idea. Is 170 a good price for 4 HP's?

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
duuuuuuuh, dirt tracks and the like???

·
Registered
13,118 Posts
Ahahah!

Exactly. Every 3rd sunday, I take my supra out to the local motocross track, we run all the dirbikes off, and race our cars in the largest racer-base event in the world sanctioned by the SCCA. I like the wash-boards, my tokicoHP's work very will with their 12" suspension travel, even getting 4-5' of air isn't bad, especially with my tokicoHP's. When landing my 3100# car on a "table top" though really needs something stiffer, like kyb uber-shocks...

Does this make sense? No? Thats for a reason.

http://www.scca.com/amateur/solo2/

I am going to now request that you remove "racer" from your name.

--BillyM
Viva La AutoX!

·
Registered
360 Posts
_HOT_M16 said:
Ahahah!

Exactly. Every 3rd sunday, I take my supra out to the local motocross track, we run all the dirbikes off, and race our cars in the largest racer-base event in the world sanctioned by the SCCA. I like the wash-boards, my tokicoHP's work very will with their 12" suspension travel, even getting 4-5' of air isn't bad, especially with my tokicoHP's. When landing my 3100# car on a "table top" though really needs something stiffer, like kyb uber-shocks...
ROTFLMAO
Internet sarcasm......Gotta love it!! :lol:

·
Registered
13,118 Posts
Sorry mk2racer, I didn't mean to sound like an ass, but it was quite humorous in my eyes. Here is someone claiming to be a racer, yet has no clue as to what autocross is. To add to my linking, I will drop a quick description here also.

Get there in the morning, there are about 35-40 cars there running. You go through "tech" and they make sure your wheelbearings are good and your battery is tied down and whatnot. You pay your registration fee (usually $15-20) and then "walk" the course.

http://www.etrscca.org/images/dtup.jpg

Notice this course, is in a parking lot with cone markers. You can see what kind of cones in my avatar. You come up in the middle and jump in to the middle of the course, follow it all the way around one whole time, pass the exit the first time, and exit the second time. While walking you decide the best "lines" to take during the corners and prepare for your runs. Now comes the good part, you split the 35-40 drivers down the middle, half get in their cars, half grab orange vests and redflags, and go take positions at "safety stations" and some run the timing equiptment and starting line. One person will go one lap, as soon as he exits (40-60sec on the average course) the next will be waved on. The person who just ran, goes to the back of the line. With a large group, they will only run 3-4runs per person, then they workers come in and get in their cars, and the previous drivers go "work the course". At the end of the day, times are looked over and seperated by class.

http://www.moutons.org/sccasolo/Lists/2003/stockc.html

This shows you what cars are in what classes. If you are one of the fastest in your class, you usually get a tshirt or mug or something. You may also modify your car, though you will be placed into "modified classes" where money seems to be they key.

That is an autocross (autoX).

--BillyM
Viva La AutoX!

[edit]

Here is an old video of my first or second autoX ever. Not to mention only having the car for 3 weeks at this point, I was slow, flat out... I will get some recent videos up as soon as possible.

http://br109.math.tntech.edu/GESCC/videos/event/autocross/20021123a.mpg

[/edit]

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
*hangs his head in shame*
Well, im not an autoX racer then...
Actually, when I came up with my nickname, it was about a week after getting the car and I couldnt think of anything better to call myself :) Aad... maybe, but oh well, Ill stick with it for now. Better than "mk2" for a name. Someone suggests a better name/one I like more and maybe ill use it. As far as those shocks, though.... Are they worth it for 170 for street use?

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Don't mind Billy.... He's the resident Militant Autocrosser (but then again..I've never met a non-militant autocrosser, so go figure...)

and I am sure he'll call me the local post whore... cuz..well..I am :)

·
Registered
13,118 Posts
...Bob, our resident militant postwhore...

If you dont race your car, go for what is cheapest. If you do, tokicoHP's will be your best bet.

By the way, I'm still looking for a front set of HP's.

-BillyM
If you autox, your awesome, if you dont, you're crap. (Viva La AutoX!)

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
Billy
Ok, good info on Autox you put there, now what would you recomend for frequent twisties driving?

_HOT_M16 said:
-BillyM
If you autox, your awesome, if you dont, you're crap. (Viva La AutoX!)
what if I drive like if the road was one big autox track :wink: :p :lol:

·
Registered
13,118 Posts
I personally dont like too hard of a shock for street driving, although autox is a different story. Since this is my daily driver and autoX beast, I deal with the harshness of the gas-a-justs, as I will deal with whatever I end up with up front too (hp's or koni-adj's).

You pretty much have to decide what is more important to you. If you run twisties really hard, enough so to make the tires scream constantly and transferr weight fast and hard and dont mind rattling your teeth during daily driving, I would use a stiffer shock for predictability reasons. My front end has absolutely no supression at this point, but my rear is so tight, it becomes very very unpleasant over anything but a perfect road surface. I'm not sure how hard the hp's are in comparison, but gas-a-justs are freakin tight...

Gstock leaders allready fear me, now if I could only get ahold of some front struts and a set of kuhmos...

--BillyM
Viva La AutoX

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Billy:

That was hilarious :lol:

Autocross vs. rallycross vs. rallying vs. road racing vs. drag

Tokico HP holds up well for road racing. Personally would have liked stiffer springs/shocks/swaybars for autocross. My 85 still rolled like truck with Tokico HP, Eibach and Addco's.

To sum it up autocross is like road racing on fast forward but slower top speeds. Rarely do you ever get out of 2nd gear for local events. For Nationals, you might see stretches of 3rd and 1st gear.

·
Registered
13,118 Posts
There is a region around here that does rally and rally-cross, and I am currently looking into getting my 83 celiGTS goin for that. I have been looking for longer struts and coil springs of the same diameter for the front, but so far come up with nothing. I think rallly-cross would be a blast, and rallying a 2300# celica would be f-n awesome.

I know its not exactly supra-related, but I'll be sure to post some pictures and stories and whatnot when I start (hopefully by next season)

--BillyM
Viva La AutoX!
BTW: I race again this coming sunday. Gstock, here I come. If I lose again, I'm splurging on a set of kuhmos and koni adj's for the front. ...damnit... Then we'll see what that mini-cooper can bring to the table...

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Would they still be okay if I got the eibach 1.0" drop springs?

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
If I'm reading the SCCA rules correctly, the Eibach's will put you in a Street Prepared class. For G-Stock, you can only do shocks???

Don??? Billy????? Is this correct???????

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Chris:

That is correct. Imagine my delight :cry: when I pulled up and was put into ESP class against trailer queens with balanced and blueprinted motors. Mustangs with 17x10s at all 4 corners. All because I had progressive aftermarket springs. At that time I was running on 4 year old stock tires. I went and got RA-1s on a set of chrome factories for the next season.

·
Registered
13,118 Posts
That is exactly what I said, anyone with an mk2 who does not need to keep stock springs for race-classification reasons should get stiffer, shorter springs. If I had a race-only gstock supra, you better believe my daily would have a set of ST springs on it, but alas, I'm a 1-supra-guy... You can, though, do any sort of shock/strut combination you want. Adjustables would be keen, but at 2x the price of HP's, sometimes they arent the greatest solution for those of us who are monetarially challenged.

On another note, alot of regions now have the STS, and STX classes, which is a street-tire (noone out there on a fresh set of hoosiers every event cause they have too much god-damned money) 140+tw rated only. Other mods include:
-Removal of AC system
-Any padded-reclining front seats
-Alternate steering wheels
-Wheels up to 7.5" wide (doesn't really help us)
-Tires up to 225 width (again, doesn't give us advantage)
-Strut bars of any sort
-Any suspension (coilovers) in stock mounting locations.
-Camber adjustments
-F&R Swaybars
-Can get wheenie 2# motorcycle battery, or relocate (but not in pass compartment, sorry hatchback's)
-Intake
-Headers

This is pretty good, as I only run about 2-3sec behind the fastest guys in this class on average. I personally think I can lay waste to them all if I had every allowable modification. Anyone else want to write Falken with me and request a 225-50-14 Azenis?

--BillyM
Viva La AutoX!

--edit--
http://www.moutons.org/sccasolo/Rules/stock.html#s131
That is stock allowed mods

http://www.moutons.org/sccasolo/Rules/street_touring.html
Rules for sts and stx.
--edit/--

1 - 19 of 19 Posts