Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

Tokico Illumina's at Toysport

3K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  SlimFastSupra 
#1 ·
Hey Guys,

I saw of the forums that a member bought Tokico Illumina's (5 way adjustables) from Toysport. I know for a fact that they are not the illumina's that were made for the Supra. Does anyone have any idea wich one's would bolt right in but aren't made for the supra and don't use the supra illuminal model numbers.

Thanks,

George

#2 ·
strut/shock cross reference

How about this one, then:
Does anyone know the strut and shock specs so that we can cross reference this with any of the available adjustable units? (e.g. Koni, KYB, or even the non-adjustable Bilsteins)
For instance, '85-'87 Corolla GT-S shocks *look* like the have similar dimensions.

Maybe some of you junkyard or parts workers have a better handle on this...?

BUMP!

Regards,

Jimi B

#3 ·
Sorry I took so long...

Okay guys, this is what I've found out so far...
NOBODY(and I mean nobody!) has HZ3062 struts in stock. I called about 40 places so far and nobody has left over old stock layin' around!
Over at Toysport, they've told me that they are using the bz3074 struts which are a little shorter than the 3062's, and seem to be working just fine. The Illuminas have a lifetime warranty, so if there are any problems with hyperextension of the struts, they will be covered(as told by the tech guy at Toysport).
The person over at Tokico who would know the differences between the two is not in today, but will be in tomorrow and I will call him to find out all the details between the two (unless someone has already done this).
I have a good friend who runs a 4wd shop and is an authorized dealer for tokico, so I'm trying to get him to give us his cost +10% on these if I can get a group buy together. He's checking on his cost and how many he needs to get for a price break. As it stands right now, Toysport sells the BZ3074 struts for $100.00 per piece + S/H, and they look to be the cheapest around!

If I find out any more, I'll post it here...

#7 ·
So are the BZ3062's made for the Supra, or are they made for the Celica/Corollas? The guys at Toysport seem to think that the BZ3074s are the pn's that work with our Supras. It also shows the front struts are bz3074's at Tokico's website for the Celica/Corolla models.

On another note, Tokico has this thrown in to their warranty (I was pretty sure of this anyway, but I'd get them to put it in writing!)
Exclusions from Warranty Coverage. The warranty does not apply outside of the United States and Canada or to any units which (1) have been improperly installed or installed on vehicles for which they were not designed, (2) have been modified, altered or subjected to misuse, negligence or accident on the vehicle on which installed, (3) are operated commercially, off-the-highway or for racing or (4) installed on excessively lowered vehicles.

#8 ·
The warranty does not apply outside of the United States and Canada or to any units which (1) have been improperly installed or installed on vehicles for which they were not designed, (2) have been modified, altered or subjected to misuse, negligence or accident on the vehicle on which installed, (3) are operated commercially, off-the-highway or for racing or (4) installed on excessively lowered vehicles.
So I guess even if they were the right shocks for the supra, lowering and racing the car would null the warranty anyways. So putting them on the wrong car and losing the warranty isnt such a big deal

#10 ·
Re: Sorry I took so long...

Flyin' Hawaiian said:
As it stands right now, Toysport sells the BZ3074 struts for $100.00 per piece + S/H, and they look to be the cheapest around!

If I find out any more, I'll post it here...
What about the store provided in the other thread:

www.machiii.net/machiii/html/suspension/tokico/tokico_Toyota.html

According to Chris Eng's Tokico Catalog, the 82-85 Celica GTS uses the same illuminas as the mk2 in the rear and toysport uses the bz3074 in the front. These two item numbers are the same two for the 82-85 Celica GTS as per the catolog...so this is what Toysport must be selling, but this mackiii place sells them for $200 less as indicated in the other thread.

So it seems to me that this would be the kit for us, seeing that toysport sells them for the mk2 and at least 1 person has already bought this kit from them as says that it fits like a charm.

George

#11 ·
Actually, scratch that one off the list. :twisted: . If you go on their site they list the complete set for the illumina's for the 82-85 Celica for $200+. But if you click on the 'buy seperate' link you will notice they list the
bz3074 for $110each for the front, but no listing for the be2321 for the rear...which means that their idea of a complete set is the two fronts...probably explains why they were half the price of toysport, cause they were only offering half the products.

I'm getting tired of this, I think I'm just gonna order the set from toysport and see how they work.

George...who's very confused and frusted :cry:

#12 ·
Chris C. & others.....

Good thing I still have my 1998 Application Guide sitting in my bag.

The BZ3062's will only fit the following, according to the application guide: 82 - 86 MKII Supra's, 73 - 75 Celica's, and 83 - 88 Cressida's, including the station wagons.

The BZ3074's will only fit the following: 79 - 81 MKI Supra's, the 82 - 85 Celica GTS (w/ the IRS rear), the 78 - 85 Celica GT/ST's (the solid axle models), the 76 - 77 Celica's, the 84 - 87 Corolla GTS/SR5's (the RWD Hachi Roku's), the 80 - 83 Corolla sedans, the 74 - 82 Corolla station wagons, and the 74 - 79 Corolla Sedan/SR5's.

For both of these front struts, they are NOT listed for any other manufactures applications, just the above mentioned Toyotas.

And YES, I AM ALSO INTERESTED to see where Toysport is getting this interesting information from... Yes, this can get interesting if you ever install the BZ3074's in your MKII Supra, they crap out on you & you try to send them in for warranty replacement... :roll: :shock: Would SOMEONE like to contact Tokico Direct and ask about this possible "senario" (using the BZ3074's on your MKII, they crap out & you try & do a warranty replacement)????

AGAIN, look at the list & notice that the BZ3074's are listed for vehicles that are lighter in front end weight, vs the BZ3062's for the heavier vehicles. Now as to why the 73 - 75 Celica's have the BZ3062's listed next to them, I don't have a clue, I'm just reading off the info that is in front of me.

HTH... Yes, this is getting interesting, if not annoying..... :roll: I just wish Tokico would continue manufacturing these Illumina products...

#14 ·
karaki,

They either need your original purchase receipt, or possibly a copy (can't remember which).

And.....

When I purchased my HP's for my MKI, in each box, there was a warranty card you needed to fill out.... Faking this information sounds pretty bold & something that I would not want to do. :oops:

I "think" there might be a way for them to determine if it was abused or not, but I can't think of anything specific. There have been a handful of warranty claims that got denied on the SOGI list, for those MKIII owners that have TEMS & tried to do warranty claims on their Illumina II's. For the most part, they do get replaced, but some have been questioned.

#15 ·
82-85 Celica GTS struts *would* fit in an MK2. They are of similar length, but valved softer for the lighter load. I know this because I installed Supra MK2 struts in my Celica. They bolted right in. The strut housing is the same between Celica and Supra.

So, putting Celica illuminas in would work, but would not be as tough as the proper ones. They will most likely have a shorter life span. Still the full firm setting on Celica struts would be much better than your every day supra struts.

BZ3062 - Supra Part #
BZ3074 - Celica Part #

Similar length, different valving. If someone wants a BZ3074 set, I'll get it to you at my cost+shipping just for being a pioneer. E-mail me mk3supra@cox.net

Robert
87/89 Pearl White
88 All Trac
84 Celica GT

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.