Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I was cruising down the highway this morning on my way to work and hit a freeway interchange. A loooong sweeping right turn from one highway to another. Nobody in front of me as it's very early, and as usual, I'm going faster than I should be. The difference today? WET ROAD.

Good gawd. The car broke traction and the entire car, slid a little wider than the road was going. Had it not been for the shoulder and me NOT hitting the brakes, I would have flipped my Supra this morning. Beyone the shoulder is a drop off... down to a drainage pond. It's probably some 15 to 20 feet down.

In weeks past, since I got my car, I've been seeing what it can do. I love how sticky it is in dry weather. It corners like a go cart! And, those of you who have seen it, know my front shocks are :censored:. (No. Still haven't fixed them.)

However, having said that, I think I'll slow down in the wet weather. That flat out scared the crap out of me. :eekfacepalm:

So....... any other close calls out there? :naughty:

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Wet roads, newly painted road markings, light snow, and sand scattered on roads (corners especially) can be a sudden adrenaline inducing moment! Glad you and the car are OK.

The right wheel/tire combination can also make a big difference.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
You should see me try to take off when the roads are wet, oh yeah you saw what happened with both Mike and me when we got on it a little for the St. Helens meet.

I do agree that it is not fun sliding around when not meaning to.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Are these really that bad in wet/snow? Winters coming, and Its down to my 2wd truck, or the Supra. I'm gonna have to load the bed down with sand or something if I choose the truck, or run chains on the Supra.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oh dear lord. You've got the worst of both worlds!

The Supra? it's like a deer on a frozen lake. No traction. And way too much power.

The truck? No ass end weight. Good luck when the weather turns to crap!

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I went to make a U-Turn the other day and it had been misting. MISTING, not raining, you had to wait like 3 minutes before you had enough water on the windshield to use your wipers.

So I take off from the light, make the turn, and didn't think the ground was that wet so I hit the gas a lil, WRONG MOVE. I'm not a drifter, but thankfully was able to correct my car (took my foot of the gas and didn't hit the brake). I know the people watching make the U-turn thought I was doing it on purpose, I didn't expect the tires to lose traction in that light of rain.

But yea, if you see someone spit on the ground and you're in your Supra, change lanes haha.

·
Registered
322 Posts
drift city son! you guys should all practice more. open parking lots in the rain make for a good time! as for chris, come the the NE meet man, lemme see dat shiit... (as for those parking lots... its a good idea to make sure its secluded. I had an auto store manager threaten to call the cops and stuff, wasnt even his lot! and it was far away too. bastard

·
Registered
13,114 Posts
Coming into turn 1 at ~110, the only corner where in one wrong move and you slide straight into the creek. I came to my braking point as I had DOZENS of times through the day, squeezed the brakes and BAM, 4-tire lockup. Three pumps, to unlock the fronts and still going way too fast. Pitched the nose down into the corner, down in the on-camber groove, farthest from the creek, where the most traction is found. Dropped enough speed, counter steered, downshifted, and rocketed back out of the turn.

...got back to the pits and surgically removed my seat cushion from my butt-crack.

If you truly want to learn your car, take it to a track/autocross.

--billyM

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
I went to make a U-Turn the other day and it had been misting. MISTING, not raining, you had to wait like 3 minutes before you had enough water on the windshield to use your wipers.

So I take off from the light, make the turn, and didn't think the ground was that wet so I hit the gas a lil, WRONG MOVE. I'm not a drifter, but thankfully was able to correct my car (took my foot of the gas and didn't hit the brake). I know the people watching make the U-turn thought I was doing it on purpose, I didn't expect the tires to lose traction in that light of rain.

But yea, if you see someone spit on the ground and you're in your Supra, change lanes haha.
off topic,

Hey diggs, ive noticed that everytime you post you always have a "haha" somewhere lol. Look back at all your posts and you'll see what im talking about. Its freaking hilarious :thumbsup:

on topic, 3 years ago the was a light drizzle and i made a very slight right and ended up doing a 540 degree spin :nono: Thats the worst feeling in the world.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Are these really that bad in wet/snow? Winters coming, and Its down to my 2wd truck, or the Supra. I'm gonna have to load the bed down with sand or something if I choose the truck, or run chains on the Supra.
In short. No, the MKII really is not as bad as some are posting.

There are many, many, many criteria that determine traction whether dry or wet conditions. Proper tires for the season, proper inflation of said tires, a full set of good – not old, leaking or bouncy - shocks and struts on all four corners, good springs – not old – on all four corners, decent bushings on all sway bar connections. These mechanical factors plus the intelligent, human decisive factor allow for safe navigation of a stockish MKII Supras. Mind you, this does change as modifications change. Be smart, think ahead of your next moves, be aware of all conditions surrounding the vehicle and resist urges. Most importantly, KNOW the car; how it feels, how it reacts, what it likes/dislikes and understand the limits in all seasons. Follow these, and any others of significance, will allow the Supra to provide transportation year round.

I had an ’85 Celica GTS that provided me with 13+ years of transportation in Ohio weather; sun, rain, sleet, ice, snow, you name it. Similar enough to a MKII to be an equal comparison. Only got stuck twice; once in deep snow but was able to back out and once on an icy, banked road which slid me onto the shoulder. I always found she tracked best in snow with the tank at ¾ or more. My MKII’s have also seen winter roads when they were more stock. Still going strong.

The most important factor when driving in inclement weather is the equipment behind the steering wheel.

I’m Mr. Heat Miser…..
Scott

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
In short. No, the MKII really is not as bad as some are posting.

There are many, many, many criteria that determine traction whether dry or wet conditions. Proper tires for the season, proper inflation of said tires, a full set of good – not old, leaking or bouncy - shocks and struts on all four corners, good springs – not old – on all four corners, decent bushings on all sway bar connections. These mechanical factors plus the intelligent, human decisive factor allow for safe navigation of a stockish MKII Supras. Mind you, this does change as modifications change. Be smart, think ahead of your next moves, be aware of all conditions surrounding the vehicle and resist urges. Most importantly, KNOW the car; how it feels, how it reacts, what it likes/dislikes and understand the limits in all seasons. Follow these, and any others of significance, will allow the Supra to provide transportation year round.

I had an ’85 Celica GTS that provided me with 13+ years of transportation in Ohio weather; sun, rain, sleet, ice, snow, you name it. Similar enough to a MKII to be an equal comparison. Only got stuck twice; once in deep snow but was able to back out and once on an icy, banked road which slid me onto the shoulder. I always found she tracked best in snow with the tank at ¾ or more. My MKII’s have also seen winter roads when they were more stock. Still going strong.

The most important factor when driving in inclement weather is the equipment behind the steering wheel.

I’m Mr. Heat Miser…..
Scott
very true, old tires and worn out suspension are huge...

·
Registered
267 Posts
I've accidentally slid it a whole bunch of times. Especially in the wet.

The closest call I had was actually in the dry though. On the freeway and the line of cars in front of me stopped out of nowhere. Slammed on the brakes and the rear end got real squirrely and sent the rear end halfway into each lane on either side of me. Only way I got out of it was counter steering and letting up on the brakes a bit. I was just lucky no one was around me or else they would've gotten a face full of rear quarter panel.

I talked to one of the engineers I worked with that had a Celica GT-S. He said it tended to do that because when you brake hard the trailing arms flex and the rear wheels toe out. It felt like that could be what happened, but I'm not sure how true that is. The shocks and springs are gone on all four corners and I'm rolling on "Champiro" tires.

·
Registered
512 Posts
[QUOTE

If you truly want to learn your car, take it to a track/autocross.

--billyM[/QUOTE]

Amen^ - Parking lots are great for the basics but just not the same.

And your never going to get anywhere near the limits of the car on a public road. The fact is that you can't. You only have 100% grip at anyone time. With that finite amount of grip you have to: Brake-Steer-Accelerate.

If you go beyond that 100% the car is not going to go where you want it to or respond the way it should. The result on a public road and even some tracks situations (as Billy said) is that you crash if you can't correct.

It's important to know EXACTLY what your car does after that 100%. Take the Porsche 911's for example now they have gotten much better but they where notorious for having huge grip and the second you went past it you went instantly from understeer to snap oversteer.

On the other end you can have a car like the Pontiac GTO/Holden/Monaro it doesn't have anywhere near the grip of the 911 is much easier to drive because it's a gradual lose of traction.

If any of you know who Tiff Needle is he has an old video where he talks about learning how to drive in a Morris Minor-1000 which is a tiny light RWD british put-put mobile but what he says in the video is that it was ideal to learn in because it had horrible traction/no power/no weight so when you lost traction you where going 15Mph not 115Mph.

The more traction and performance handling you give your supra the higher the limit is for the car HOWEVER it makes it much less practical to get anywhere near that limit on the road. If you can go around a 35Mph speed limit turn and give it some stick and have a bit of tail out fun or whatever. But if you have to go 80Mph around that turn... it's not gonna work out cause sooner or later "Some times you get the bull, sometimes you get the horns"

-Blaze-

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
off topic,
Hey diggs, ive noticed that everytime you post you always have a "haha" somewhere lol. Look back at all your posts and you'll see what im talking about. Its freaking hilarious :thumbsup:
I can't help it man. Anytime I type something that makes me laugh in my head or out loud I do that haha.

....See?:thumbsup:

I know my car needs shocks and/or springs in the back, probably just all the way around to be safe. I like their effect in dry weather though cause I'm pretty sure my shifting looks awesome from the eyes of the cars around me. Hit the clutch ass goes up, let go, ass goes down haha.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I used to have an '85 Celica GT. It was a coupe, and a stick shift. Now, that little car was so impressive. Go anywhere, with almost no problems at all. We had an EPIC winter storm back in about '03 ish around here. Snow, rain, then freezing rain, and sub zero temperatures.

Made for some NASTY roads :SM130 (1):

But that little Celica GT plowed through it like it had somewhere to go! I can only hope the Supra I own now is as gutsy. I fear the worst though, more power and an automatic? I think I'm in trouble.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I've accidentally slid it a whole bunch of times. Especially in the wet.

The closest call I had was actually in the dry though. On the freeway and the line of cars in front of me stopped out of nowhere. Slammed on the brakes and the rear end got real squirrely and sent the rear end halfway into each lane on either side of me. Only way I got out of it was counter steering and letting up on the brakes a bit. I was just lucky no one was around me or else they would've gotten a face full of rear quarter panel.

I talked to one of the engineers I worked with that had a Celica GT-S. He said it tended to do that because when you brake hard the trailing arms flex and the rear wheels toe out. It felt like that could be what happened, but I'm not sure how true that is. The shocks and springs are gone on all four corners and I'm rolling on "Champiro" tires.

If you open your door and watch your rear wheels as you step on the gas, you'll see that they toe in as you accelerate, and they'll toe out as you break, because of the rubber bushings the swing arms are mounted on. I've always thought that might be a design weakness.

Also, because they are trailing arms, they tend to retract up under the car as you step down on the gas, thus making your rear wheels break loose much easier than they would otherwise (watch your rear end dip next time). Guess that's why 5M Supras can start a "burn out" as well as they do.....it's certainly not engine power.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
We had an EPIC winter storm back in about '03 ish around here. Snow, rain, then freezing rain, and sub zero temperatures.

Made for some NASTY roads :SM130 (1):

But that little Celica GT plowed through it like it had somewhere to go! I can only hope the Supra I own now is as gutsy. I fear the worst though, more power and an automatic? I think I'm in trouble.
I remember that, I just came back from Germany and finally got the Celica running again (it was still pretty much stock). Everyone at my shop though I was crazy that I could still make it around the base with little problem. Then I got stuck trying to get in my driveway (I lived on base), and I had to explain to my neighbor who was also from PA that RWD+Open end+Ice on one side and snow drift from base snow plow= I'm stuck.

And remember McChord roads turn into instant black ice as soon as the temp drops near/below 30.

·
I like Boost
3,725 Posts
I have come to a conclusion after changing my front bumper cover. do not drive them in the rain period.

·
Registered
555 Posts
winter, and driving in general as far as safety is all dependent on the driver, and the atention they pay to how they drive, and maintain their car. up until i got my 03 ram"hemi" which is also two wheel drive, all i EVERdrove 365 days a year was supras for as far back as i can remember.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have to disagree with that. Too much fun in the rain! I just have to change my whole way of driving with the changing of the weather. Not to say that I'm going to start driving like a little old lady, or like those people who are just too damn scared to be out on wet roads... BUT ARE ANYWAYS! Ugh.

Great. Now I'm ticked off again. Thanks Jamie.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts