Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a new stereo put in my 85 Supra and there seems to be alot of ratteling going on in the back. It seems to be coming from the spoiler. Is this a problem for anyone else?

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Check the bolts. It shouldnt rattle. You dont want that thing coming off at speed :shock:
What year do you have?
-Wil

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
yes the 85+ spoilers rattle with lots of bass. Its mostly where the two halves of the wing screw together, you could take it apart and put some wetherstripping in there or some kind of deadener, or just get smaller speakers with less bass, stereo equipment just slows the car down anyway , might as well put the least ammount in there as you can stand, or just get a nice exhaust and listen to that.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Whats involved with taking the spoiler apart? Is it easy? and what do i need to do it?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Wal-Mart sell 8.5"X11" sheets of sticky back foam for less than $2 each. The foam is thin, and you can get it in black. I have used it on several liscense plates to keep them from ratteling, and it works well. It dosen't seem to be affected by rain/washing.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
First you have to get it off the car. There are brackets on both sides with 2 10mm bolts each and there are 4 more 10mm bolts under the trim panel in the back where the light is, there are 2 bolts in the center and one at either end. Once its off the car the 2 parts of the wing are held together with what seems like a million phillips head screws, thats pretty much all there is to do, just make sure you have an old blanket or something to set it on so the paint doesnt get scratched while you are working on it.

·
Registered
174 Posts
theres really no need to add foam, just get some dum dum (a tar like substance, kinda sticky, somes in strips, the guy at the store will know what it is...) and stick it between where the top piece and the bottom piece meet all the way around, then put it togeher, tap it, and put some between the top and bottom where it still rattles by the screws.

This kept everything pretty light, and nice and quiet.

Oh, and watch those aluminum screws, make sure the screwdriver fits them near perfectly, because the buggers like to strip.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Me and a friend of mine tried to remove the spoiler and took off all bolts listed above but we could still not remove it. It seemed to be attached near the top(were the hatch and roof meet) is there something im missing or does it snap off? Or do i have to remove the whole hatch first?

·
Registered
174 Posts
there are some nuts you must remove, as I recall there are no clips, screws or anything of the like.

the hatch can stay on.

just look for the bolts, they are there.

·
Banned
1,314 Posts
If you have the double spoiler, then after you remove the bolts tap the lower spoiler up twords the roof of the car. The spoiler set up has to slide forward a little in order to remove it.

·
3,283 Posts
there's two(maybe 3) push-in plastic clips at the top (at least on mine).

make sure you have the 10 nuts off and then pull it off the hatch, once those clips come loose the spoiler will lift off the hatch.

good luck

Mike

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Have something soft to set it on before you lift it off too, I made that mistake and ended up scratching the paint.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Also be very careful once you get it loose. Make sure the bolts don't go scratching across the paint, especialy the ones near the top. Same thing goes when you put it back on.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts