Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13,185 Posts
That's right folks, the "Tool of the Week".

(...not needed here...)

This week, the "Pulley/Bolt Puller".

(hey look, a coupon! right-click, print, good till Monday!)​

What we have here is the cheapest migraine medicine you've ever purchased. It only takes a single use to pay for itself 10-fold, because the alternative is not worth it. How many of you have seen gouge-marks around the main pulley on a car? ...how many have seen a chip busted out of said pulley? This is the number one cause of "harmonic un-balancing" where you suffer a case of "pulley rage". Save yourself the trouble, and buy one now. They are damn handy, don't take up much space, have metric and SAE high-grade bolts included, and work on about anything mounted over a center-shaft.

Uses:
1: Main Pulley / Harmonic Balancer (5min & no damage to balancer)
2: Rear wheel on my riding lawn mower (sledgehammer fail, pulley puller win)
3: Steering wheel puller (better than pulling as hard as you can and popping yourself in the face)

If you have done a pulley replacement without one, you know the pain and suffering you could have avoided. Please feel free to share your stories and uses.

--billyM

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
3: Steering wheel puller (better than pulling as hard as you can and popping yourself in the face)
--billyM
You speak from experience? :laugh:

Great tool...awesome price. I use HF for tools like this...one's that you don't use every day, but NEED them when you need them. Great thread idea Billy.

·
Registered
13,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had a bad experience...

...and I don't want to talk about it.

Haha!

*note* Some tools I will never suggest from HF (HarborFreight, northern tools, china special, etc) but there are others (like this) that, like Mark stated, aren't worth having the $100 snap-on set for home/hobby use, but way worth buying at $8 for something that might be 70-80% of the quality and still work the same under limited use.

--BillyM

·
Registered
209 Posts
Ill point out its good for in store use only. I just tried to buy one online and it wont let me use this coupon. I read the fine print after all the hassle of trying to order...

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
I
*note* Some tools I will never suggest from HF (HarborFreight, northern tools, china special, etc) but there are others (like this) that, like Mark stated, aren't worth having the $100 snap-on set for home/hobby use, but way worth buying at $8 for something that might be 70-80% of the quality and still work the same under limited use.

--BillyM
I hear ya man. I have approximately $20k in Snap-On/Mac tools in my garage...but have $8 puller as well.

I'd never use HF hammers. I haven't had a bad experience with them...but witnessed a bad experience with them once and told myself NEVER (something about 3lb sledge head separating from the handle and flying through a windshield).

·
Registered
13,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I bought two pry-bar/nail removers at HF. One had a big "made in the USA" sticker, the other was from the "Pittsbrgh Steel" an obvious chinese knockoff, but both were the same price. After weeks of house renovation, I noticed my USA pry bar having trouble removing nails at one point, and noticed the metal around the nail slot was buggered up, I compared my china special and it was perfect after the same usage. The casting quality was twice as nice as the USA prybar as well. I hit them both with a spring punch in a few spots, and the divot in the USA bar was easily 1.5x as large (softer metal).

This goes to show that although I'm sure the $4 usa pry bar would GREATLY out-do the $2 china bar, when we attempted to make in-country $2 bar, we did a lesser job of it (likely emissions and cost related, and fully understandable).

I also bought a china-man special 2-car tarp/pole type carport (temporary measure until this summer when I plan to build a large deck over the parking spots). It collapsed under less than 1" of snow. Never again, USA USA USA!

--BillyM

·
Super Moderator
8,572 Posts
Ironically the bolts you need buy to use that puller on a Toyota cost more than the whole device itself. I have the same one at home and a slightly bigger one as well.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Bought one tuesday afternoon, was traveling thru Harrisburg on my way back from Philly and decided to stop in at the local Harbor Freight and grab some stuff...even at full price thats a hell of a deal!

·
Registered
13,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ironically the bolts you need buy to use that puller on a Toyota cost more than the whole device itself. I have the same one at home and a slightly bigger one as well.
The bolts included worked perfectly for pulling the 7m pulley and they share the same pattern/thread with the 5m...

--billyM

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
The bolts included worked perfectly for pulling the 7m pulley and they share the same pattern/thread with the 5m...

--billyM
Very long 6mm bolts (75mm) are only additional I've needed for crank timing gear on JZ, otherwise the puller's stock bolts have worked fine for all Toyota applications thus far including 5/6/7M, 3/5S, 3/5VZ, 4/7A, R series crank pulleys.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Hit & miss with HF-my dad bought a nut splitter for me from them (after having extremely curroded bolts on my old 84 Celica GT)
I ended up splitting the nut splitter in half :32:
After I recovered from laughing hysterically due to the irony of the situation,
I just torched it off (didn't want to use the torch originally due to fuel tank proximity)

US def makes the best tools :salute:
yet HF does have a few decent ones

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
I bought the cheap puller at Big Lots, and used the engines AC compressor mounting bolts...worked great.

·
Super Moderator
8,572 Posts
HF has a metric tap and die set on sale for $15 this week. Should be good enough for chasing out holes. Most of the sizes includes are fine and extra fine thread like Toyota uses as well.

·
Registered
683 Posts
HF has a metric tap and die set on sale for $15 this week. Should be good enough for chasing out holes. Most of the sizes includes are fine and extra fine thread like Toyota uses as well.
Here's one for $9.99. HF has lots of different kind of tap and die kits made out of different material.

Has anyone tried printing the coupon out yet? I tried printing out some others in black/white but it doesn't come out clear. I don't think the scanner will be able to read the bar code.

Here's some more coupons.

This 20% off coupon supposedly works at Home Depot and Lowes also.

Free flash light.

Source: slickdeals.net

·
Registered
365 Posts
...Has anyone tried printing the coupon out yet? I tried printing out some others in black/white but it doesn't come out clear. I don't think the scanner will be able to read the bar code.
Yeah, I printed some and their scanner didn't pick it up, but they still work, they just call the store manager and he approves it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts