Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

21 - 40 of 166 Posts

·
is awesome
2,736 Posts
Rusty Tracey- 5M-GE - MT - 1985 - 143/136 - Dynojet (I think) @ Unnatural Inc. I've misplaced the slips and am not too inclined to find them as I've swapped to a 7M-GTE.

That was with a cheap cone filter, good plugs & wires, 10w-30 oil, no cat and a fart cannon exhaust (Apexi N1 style).

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Just uploaded them on PB. stock configuration.

·
POTATO
17,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
(dyno was also running ~10% off calibriation, proven. So add ~10% for actual numbers..) I'm not supposed to share this info, But I'll see if he'll let me get the graphs and post his name. Lot's off stuff that could be learned through this guy.

Need graph or I can't post it.

Those are high freakin numbers for a 5m! Woot! w40 transmission?

That's pretty awesome, I had thought about using a 4 speed tranny once but was told it would be worthless, so I scrapped that idea...

Rusty Tracey- 5M-GE - MT - 1985 - 143/136 - Dynojet (I think) @ Unnatural Inc.

Sorry, won't post w/o the graph/slip. But good to have that info in the thread :)

I still got to get my ass in gear and get all the graphs/slips from the old thread up and running........ soon.....

Just uploaded them on PB. stock configuration.

Your missing a little bit of info you know ;)

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
85 supra p-type, MT, 5mge, K&N filter, RC intake pipe, sucking air from the fender, and some unrelated suspention mods.

The 1/4 mi time slip is from Oct 2003 (the best of about 8 runs and my first and only time at the drags)
16.388 s @ 82.54 Mph for referance Car and driver lists the stock 1985 supra 1/4 mi time as 16.8 s

The dyno is from 2004 (baxter historical races July 2004) dyno pull in 4th gear to red line and then some (took forever to get there) peek power @ 5250 rpm or so.
135.45 hp & 143.91 tq

If there is anything further needed let me know. I think that I'm one of the few that has the 1/4 mi time and dyno on the same car with the same configuration

will

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Ladies & Gents,

I thought I would go ahead and get a 5MGE dyno graph posted up here. I did not have a lot of time to play around with the tuning, so I am not posting up a 180-plus HP graph, but it is close...

Name: Carlos Brown
Year: 1986
Motor: 5MGE
Trans: 5-speed W-58

Given a few changes to the 5MGE motor, I believe it is capable of putting out somewhere around 190HP, or greater. The thing that I have found with the motor while tinkering with it, is that it wants to breath, and breath some more... This is easy when switching to ITB's and stand-alones, but when running the OEM ECU and AFM, it is a little more challenging. You will also notice when looking at the dyno graph that the stock fuel MAP is way rich in the lower RPM's. I adjusted the AFR at the upper RPM's using an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. At cruise speeds the car will run at stoich, so the richness is not so much a problem..

If there were a larger AFM available which could be swapped out, along with a larger throttle body, this motor would be a lot happier. I do not know the "true" specs of the RX-7 and 750 BMW AFM's, but these would be the only two options I think that might be available...

I will be staying with the single TB on my Spring rebuild, but I will be adding a few internal engine parts, stand-alone, and 7M crank. I had considered adding a 1UZ this winter, but at the current HP rating, the car is getting funner to drive... For now, here is 178.26HP and 161.12TQ for you!

Best Regards,

Carlos

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
Those are extremely impressive numbers! Significantly higher than most other 5mge motors.
I guess the question everyone might want to know is how? Was this with a bored out TB? Or adjusted cam timing? Head work?

Whatever the tuning, it seems to work well! You couldn't adjust the richness out on the lower rpm range? That would have probably flattened your torque curve nicely.

Good job!

Don L.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
DonL,

I did perform some port work on the head and the Intake runners/plenum are all gasket matched. I also polished the combustion chambers. The valves are still original, no OS.

The car is running adjustable cam gears, which makes tuning so easy.

I am also running the Rabid Chimp Intake with a modified 70mm TB and Intake. I am still currently running the AFM and stock ECU, however.

The fuel MAP can only be adjusted be increasing or decreasing the regulator PSI. So, the whole thing moves up or down. With tuning potential the low end power would have been much better.

Regards,

Carlos

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
Thanks Carlos! That SDS system is just crying out your name :)

I bet you get some impressive numbers once that standalone and motor come together.

You'll enjoy the tuning !

Don L.

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
Nice find on the archives. Everything sounds reasonable until I got to the electric waterpump part. 25hp gained? I honestly don't know much about those things, but that figure seems pretty optimistic. That means all those other mods brought the car "only" to 175hp at the wheels? Still, a nice build, and always good to hear positive stories of 5mge build ups. A few of you guys should see easily over 200rwhp this year with your n/a builds.

Don L.

·
Registered
15,025 Posts
they argued about the ewp for weeks on the old message list. thats why i remembered his car so easy. i found that searching after like 2min. electric waterpump then went to begginging. was liek the 4th post. lol

·
Registered
138 Posts
Woggin--1984(82 5m-ge)--MT---125hp/??

will get photo up tomorrow, and timeslip will come on the 11th!!

·
POTATO
17,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Ummm...

that would be the point of this thread. Wes's thread has been locked down for a couple of years. I wanted to update this one. I will be downloading everuone's dyno sheets and timeslips, now that I have my own website to host them on, and updating this thread soon.

I asked Malloy for responsibility over the N/A #s, someone else can take the turbo crowd :D

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Finally found one of my old time slips:
1985 5mge, stock with rabid chimp intake pipe and k&n filter.
The car was full weight.
I'm hoping for mid 14's this summer with header, exhaust, no cat, and lightened a bit.
I'm on the right.

·
crashtest dummy
1,564 Posts
Finally found one of my old time slips:
1985 5mge, stock with rabid chimp intake pipe and k&n filter.
The car was full weight.
I'm hoping for mid 14's this summer with header, exhaust, no cat, and lightened a bit.
I'm on the right.
thats actually a really good time considering how bad the 60' times were. Good chance of hitting a high 14 by just getting a better 60'. W/ the mentioned mods, you should have no problem being well into the 14's. Good yob!

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
thats actually a really good time considering how bad the 60' times were. Good chance of hitting a high 14 by just getting a better 60'. W/ the mentioned mods, you should have no problem being well into the 14's. Good yob!
Thanks Damon. I have terrible 60' times in this car, i just likes to burn the tires through first and first part of second, no matter how i launch. But, it may do better this year, as i have pilot's on there, that aren't balled, and i'm gonna try lowering the psi a little bit.

21 - 40 of 166 Posts