Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just wanted to know what is the highest speed you guyz and galz have taken your mk2's?

the highest speed i have reached is 128 MPH, then i backed off becasue the fear of getting caught. (probably one of the stupidest things ive done :oops: )

please dont flame

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
130 mph according to the speedo. Racing some punkass Accord on I-5 toward Salem from Portland.

155 in the MkIV -- I-84 going N into Idaho from Salt Lake City.

142 in the IS300 -- I-90 into Montana.

102 (or so) in the AE102 Corolla (that was scary) -- I-84 toward Hood River from Portland.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
The only time I tried to top out my mk2 was back when it only had a filter and exhaust. It would do 126mph and no more (verified by my buddie's accord who was tailing me..since my speedo only hits 85)

I've done 145 in the mk4, before I let off.

Christian

·
Super Moderator
8,218 Posts
I've had my Supra(s) pegged at 6500 RPM in 5th more than a few times. I haven't tried this on the 3.73s though yet. I don't think I could pull the 3.73 gears. If I figured it out right top speed would be ~170 mph. All I want is 160mph. I plan to eventually run the Silver State Classic probably in the 130mph average class which allow a 165mph top speed IIRC. Anything over 120 mph in a Mk2 is ballsy IMHO (especially on the stock wheels), its just not as composed a car at high speed as many newer cars (flame suit on :wink: ).

I've had the Solara up to ~137 mph when the speed limiter kicks in. Capable of much more, there is almost 1500 RPM of the best power band to go. The car is remarkably quiet and stable at this speed, it feels more like 80 mph.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
SilverMk2 said:
Anything over 120 mph in a Mk2 is ballsy IMHO (especially on the stock wheels), its just not as composed a car at high speed as many newer cars (flame suit on :wink: ).
I totally agree. I thought it was stable until I drove the MkIV at 155... then I felt unsafe as hell in the MkII at anything above 80 or so... ;)
:)

·
Registered
310 Posts
Well the fastest ive gone in my mk2 is 120mph. Though ive gone through some twisties in this back road at 85-90mph, which i wont do again. My mk2 also above 90mph feels somewhat unstable the stearing wheel becames loose. I did not have this problem with my auto mk2. THats all

·
Registered
351 Posts
85 mph on my stock 5M-E (MKI) running on about 3 cylinders. We shall see once I finish up my engine swap.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I've done 125 in both my 83 and 84. The 84 is scary with the front tires all unevenly worn and shaking starting at 70...but NOTHING compares to a Geo at 80 and hitting a bump, or anything really :shock: :cry:

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Approximately, 140mph on the highways around Dayton at the meet last year. Had a little more in her too, but there was a curve coming up. Thank God, Ohio Trooper pulled on the highway just after the curve. Was running side by side with Mark with his '82 6mge. He had his metric speedo buried. Mine was way past 130 mph....Hard to find safe places to run top speeds.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Fastest i've gone :200km/h(~130mph). Stopped there because the needle wasn't going any higher. But I still had pedal left.. | | <-- this much..

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
Not my car-Ophir's-on I-5 between Tulalip exit and exit 206.Speedo is low by aprox.20mph at legal speeds-3.42 rear gears.
In 4th gear,5700rpm,speedo pegged,I gave up before the car.Figure I was running 150+

·
Heroic Autobot
705 Posts
'85'

As much as I loved the digital speedo, I hated that it stopped at 85. I'd guess that the max I had it up to was around 100mph.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts

My 85 is unmodified. I was traveling on an ohio interstate with my friend and his mustang gt and said as fast that I reached about 143 mph. 90 is the cruising speed, my mk2 feels soo smooth, and it seems stable through 130, but after that mine gets a little shakie...

·
Registered
516 Posts
Racing a 95-300ZX The pedal full,full full all the way down..Brother and I
300ZX one guy two girls, took him about 6 seconds to pass me.
2nd 85 supra needle toped out for 10mts
I think about 138mph hwy 22x Calgary... 8)

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Driving through the mountain passes going from Calgary to central B.C. I was racing sunfires thriugh the passes at 100+mph(estimate-old speedo) with the wife in the car.
Driving south on highway two aproaching Calgary-115mph till I hit the thunder storm. Then the windshield wiper blew off!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Had my 84 buried at 130+ and kept it there for awhile coming home to the US from Toronto on the QEW (with 2 other people in the car) I guess it wasnt the smartest thing to do but when your friend says " hey how fast do you think this will go?" do you really have a choice...?
Brian
85 5mge :lol: :lol: -2 1/2 exhaust, k&n filter, short shifter mod, afm mod, soon to be cold air intake

·
3,283 Posts
Playing tag with a friend on the back straight-aways in nowhere NC coming back from Myrtle Beach he said I stopped accelerating at 152mph. I had maybe 2-300 RPM left and Definately out of the power band.

Mine's an 85 with M/T and 4.30 rear. I recently got my hands on a 4.10 or 3.73 (We'll find out when I rebuild it) and will prolly put that in after the engine rebuild over the next month or so.

·
Registered
430 Posts
not sure how fast I was going but I know the speedo was pegged and i was at about 6200rpm in 5th gear with 4:30's. any idea how fast that actually is?

Eric
6M-GTE

·
Super Moderator
8,218 Posts
85TurboMKII said:
not sure how fast I was going but I know the speedo was pegged and i was at about 6200rpm in 5th gear with 4:30's. any idea how fast that actually is?

Eric
6M-GTE
Around 137-140mph on a 5spd with factory sized tires

1 - 20 of 41 Posts