Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Top speed you have ever done, Or ever done in your supra

Auto 83, 5M, Stock, needle sunk into the dash, past 200Km, My GPS said 212 On flat ground no bends.

·
Registered
478 Posts
84 with 7MGTE, car was running crappy before rebuild. 204 km/h on the digital dash...wouldn't go any faster.

I wonder what it will do now?

·
Registered
348 Posts
1984 Honda Nighthawk (brother's bike) 140mph/227kph at night on Sandy Blvd. in NE Portland, OR

FYI 200kph = 123mph

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
On my former '84 5M-GE, I would set the cruise control at 200km/h while travelling across Canada at night, still accelerated, lots of pedal left...:mk2_vroom

ps. tried again in the daytime, blew headgasket+, replaced engine and it never ran the same speeds again, sold car, haven't tried in my '82, no point repeating.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I got mine (84 stock 5m) up to 90 mph last summer. I don't drive it hard. Never in much of a hurry. PS, it has never broke, either.

·
Registered
157 Posts
3000 miles after my fresh head job i had the needle a tad past 130 with plenty to go... to bad my suspension is shot otherwise it would be a better and safer ride.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
i had my car up some somewhere between 110-120 mph. car still still pulling pretty good when i let off. honestly, ive never really felt the need to go above 100 mph, my friend was kinda pushing me to hit it the first night i had my car out.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
125 with 22re, 132 with 5(6)M hybrid. Both verified on GPS.

·
Registered
313 Posts
This is interesting. My brother and one of my friends both have '91 Acura Integra GS, and they will both climb past 210 stock. How is it that an inline 6 goes slower than a inline 4 (non-vtec). Not trashing inline 6 motors (I have a 7MGTE), but wtf? Don't let any Honda fans in on this, lol.
EDIT: Come to think of it, my '91 Celica is governed at 190kph (117mph), but it climbs up to that speed really fast.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Yeah, I have not hit the top speed of the Celipra yet, and probably never will, there are too many cops/other people to try a run until the car stops pulling.

·
Premium Member
6,112 Posts
This is interesting. My brother and one of my friends both have '91 Acura Integra GS, and they will both climb past 210 stock. How is it that an inline 6 goes slower than a inline 4 (non-vtec). Not trashing inline 6 motors (I have a 7MGTE), but wtf? Don't let any Honda fans in on this, lol.
EDIT: Come to think of it, my '91 Celica is governed at 190kph (117mph), but it climbs up to that speed really fast.
The better aero of cars in your example make up for difference in power. Engine TYPE has absolutely NOTHING to do with top speed, except how it may effect frontal area and ultimate power output...

·
Premium Member
6,112 Posts
i dont think these are the top speeds of the cars, but the fastest people have gone.
MKII top speed was documented during actual product run, by multiple media sources, back when they verified Manufacturers data independently. Its 125-135 MPH, depending on year/gearing, with the fastest speed recorded by Car and driver in an 84, IIRC. They used a mechanical add on wheel with a calibrated speedomeder/odometer combo.

·
Registered
313 Posts
The Celica Supra weighs a shitload more, too. That doesn't help.

·
Registered
98 Posts
84 ptype... 297xxx miles on it.... had a rebuild though. speedo and odometer didnt work when i got the car, but had the rpms at 7 1/4 in 5th gear on flat ground... dont know how fast that is but i was passing cars like they were standing still! haha and my engine still runs like a top! :p

·
Registered
166 Posts
85 P-Type 5MGE with fresh head rebuild a ways past 130 and i think she was about done but the corner ahead made me back out i would say prolly 135MPH total

·
Registered
437 Posts
84 5MGE, needle stopped moving at 210km/h but the rpms were still climbing good.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts