Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

Toyota / Chastain Shadow Louvers

19K views 24 replies 14 participants last post by  PB 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have noticed a few different styles of metal louvers around and I saw a set for sale locally that was different than the ones I had so I picked them up for S's and G's.

I am probably going to stick with the ones that were "TOYOTA" badged because the last louver sits a little lower and looks better with my wing in my opinion.

I think Chastain also made the Toyota badged louvers but I will be referencing them as two different brands in this post, identified by their stickers.

The Toyota set weighs about 8.5 lbs, has 7 louvers with a rounded end curve and 6 side vents.

The Chastain set weighs about 11 lbs, has 8 louvers with a sharp end curve and 7 side vents.

Here are some comparison pics.

Toyota:

Chastain:

Toyota:

Chastain:

Toyota:

Chastain:

Toyota:

Chastain:

See less See more
#9 ·
With the '85 wing I agree. I would have a lot harder time deciding if it was without wing.

Really cool to have the differences posted in pictures on the same car!

Thanks for taking the time to do this! :thumbsup:
No prob! Anything on the Supra is a labor of love. I was curious to see the difference so I figured others might be too.

whoa... wait... those fit with the double spoiler?!?
They weren't made to work together. It takes some work. The lower inside corners of the wing have to be cut a little bit and the mounting brackets from the louvers have to come off. Both sets of louvers required the exact same modifications to install.

Personally, I think the sharp edges on the Chastain make it look cleaner, though it might also have something to do with the paint.
You got it to fit well with the double spoiler :thumbsup: ...here's a shot of mine sans spoiler
I really like them both. I had to buy the second set to see them both on the car to decide. They would both benefit from some fresh paint, which is on the to-do list.

In my opinion, those louvers were made with the intention to use them with the double spoiler. without the spoiler the distance between the lower louver end and the trunk lid is much to big. should be the same distance as the other louver fins and thats the case when used with a double spoiler.
I don't think so. They take some work to make them fit together and when mounted with the wing the rear wiper will hit them once it gets about 1/2 way up so I can't use it anymore. I think the rear wiper is why they sit so high when mounted with standard brackets.

#7 ·
In my opinion, those louvers were made with the intention to use them with the double spoiler. without the spoiler the distance between the lower louver end and the trunk lid is much to big. should be the same distance as the other louver fins and thats the case when used with a double spoiler.

#10 ·
To expand on this a bit more, here are a few pics of the louvers that actually are made to fit with an '85 wing. Pics and car belong to Jake Foster "ABQMK2". They look amazing but I have yet to see a set for sale anywhere.

#11 ·
I have both and a Plastic rear louver as well. The Toyota one sits the best, but the bracketry looks like shit. The Chastain one I have was NOS, I installed it with the slip in brackets and it was a cleaner install. But It sat way too high in the back for my liking. I was only able to tolerate it with the Foha wing I had to kinda close the gap.

#14 ·
The Toyota ones had bolt on brackets, the Chastain ones had slide-ins. Post some pics if you can. I didn't realize there were so many metal styles.

Maybe a different manufacturer. I was trying to get my hands on a metal louver made by Kobel but I couldnt strike a deal with the guy that pulled it off a junk car since he thought it was gold or soemthing.
Haha. Yeah I have seen a few "gold" sets around too. Funny how they still paint them black when they're made out of gold. ;)

#13 ·
Maybe a different manufacturer. I was trying to get my hands on a metal louver made by Kobel but I couldnt strike a deal with the guy that pulled it off a junk car since he thought it was gold or soemthing.

#20 ·
I'm not sure which one I have... haven't looked at it in a while... but I'm pretty sure I've misplaced the hardware...

Any chance U could U post pics of the brackets /mounting hardware?? as I'm likely gonna have to replicate them myself when I eventually go to put louvre on a car...

No spectacular hurry... but if U ...(or anyone else can) that would b appreciated...

Thanx,

#22 ·
Hope this helps Dave...
That's what the Chastain ones looked like. The Toyota style ones were different, it's been several years since I took them off but I think they might have been skinny and flat at the top and they tucked into the window seam.

I mailed the Toyota style brackets to Gamble several years ago, he might still have them and be able to post a picture of them.

#25 ·
Does anyone know any finer details about the 85 Chastain Shadow louvers, specifically the one in post #10 of this thread? I bought this car from Jake years ago. The installed louver has developed two breaks at the vertical ribs. The ribs and slats are connected with simple slotted joints. I have a sheet metal friend repairing the two breaks in the ribs in an attempt to get these somewhat restored. My question is, were there originally any beads of sealant, or something else, at each of the joints? There is a small (~1-2mm) "area" of discoloration at each slotted joint where there appears to have been some sort of anti-chafing/anti-rattle material.

Also, were there any sort of upright supports, from the glass to the louver, included in the original Chastain Shadow louver installation? I ask because there are 4 ea. what appear to be plastic rectangles, approx. 1/2"x3/4", adhered onto the rear hatch glass. Two of them are about half way up the glass but spaced about 3-4 inches away from the outer edges. The other two are in the lower corners. Were these related to the louver install or maybe just something else entirely?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.