Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings :p

Do you guys use the Toyota Red Coolant? I've never used it before and was just wondering, is it any different to regular green coolant? I'm doing a cooling system flush and I had to buy a radiator hose from Toyota so I decided I might as well get the coolant from them as well while I'm there...it's more expensive than the green stuff I've always used...but it doesn't matter...I just want to give it a try...I like the idea that it's red...something different! :D

If there are any reasonable advantages to this coolant over normal green, then I'll stick with it...otherwise next time I flush I'll go with green...what do you think?

Thanx heaps. 8)

·
Super Moderator
10,546 Posts
I've been told by knowledgable parts guys that the red stuff isn't meant for our cars and won't work right with them. I trusted the guy and just took his word for it, but the other night, I took a good look at the label on the back of a non toyota jug of the red stuff and it said... "for use in new gm vehicles and others with aluminum radiators". I think that about sums it up :D I"m guessing the stuff doesn't dissapate heat properly with non aluminum rads?

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
I have been using Toyota Red coolant in my car since it was brand new. Dad always did and so do I. Radiator and cooling system stays VERY clean and I never have cooling system issues.

I don't know who said not to use Toyota Red in a Mk2...but I was told by the head of the service dept at our local Toyota dealer years ago, that it's the only thing I should ever use in my Supra.

·
Registered
247 Posts
The difference is that the Toyota coolant doesn't use silicates which can destroy some seals that come on japanese cars. For some reason the japanese gaskets aren't meant to have the silicates in contact with them and will deteriorate much sooner on some cars. Other than that I've heard people say the Toyota coolant is the best stuff out there for any car, period. My auto teacher runs it in both his race cars and his daily driver along with Redline water wetter.

·
Registered
306 Posts
DO NOT! mix gm dex-cool(same style as red?) with normal! it actually causes a reaction which will turn them both to a gel and will toast your system.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I asked the Toyota dude and he said it's formulated for all Toyota's no matter how old...so I went ahead and bought it.

My system currently has the green coolant in it...but I'm going to flush it all out and put the Toyota Red in...it will be ok, won't it? Are you talking about having red coolant and then topping up with some green one stuffs your engine? eep! :cry:

·
Registered
153 Posts
Nah, the Toyota Red stuff is good stuff.

I know some mk3 guys that won't use anything else. And they aren't running stock motors by any means. I myself will be "upgrading" to it, when I get a new rad.

·
Super Moderator
10,546 Posts
well its different then the normal red stuff you buy at parts stores. Kind of missleading, the color difference is susposed to signify that its not the same stuff, yet apparently toyota red and other red coolants are different as well. I'm still not conviced.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
SupraFiend said:
well its different then the normal red stuff you buy at parts stores. Kind of missleading, the color difference is susposed to signify that its not the same stuff, yet apparently toyota red and other red coolants are different as well. I'm still not conviced.
I am convinced. Toyota Red coolant "is" definitely different than the other stuff on the market. Seamus, the very reason why I have been using that stuff in my radiator since my car was brand new (Dad bought it in 1983) was because Toyota service dept said to do it. So we did.

The result is: 1) no leaks 2) always stays cool and never ever over-heats 3) the cooling system stays extremely clean.

If that doesn't convince you then, I'll get off my soap box.

·
Super Moderator
10,546 Posts
well since new is another thing then. I'd be skeptical if they're just recomending what they carry today to everyone. But people should be aware that the red stuff sold in parts stores isn't the same stuff and may not work right with our cars.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
gm cars have been having a lot of problems with gm's dexcool. They have been just eating away all the aluminium in cars if not changed very often, but the funny thing is that gm says it can go up to 5 yrs......but thats not the case....

·
Founding Member
6,424 Posts
I tried some of the "other" red coolant on the silver 85 and it seems that "other" red coolant will find every pinhole there is and possibly make some of its own, even on a brand new radiator. My redpra however had the toyota red in it when I bought it and I've continued to use the same toyota vintage and have no pinholes or seeping anywhere. I'm convinced.

Phil D.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Toyota red coolant is top stuff, and I won't use anything else in any of my cars. When I pulled my Aristo front cut apart the radiator was still full of red coolant, and the entire cooling system was absolutely pristine. The engine was about 8-10 years old and had probably been sitting in various warehouses for the last 1 or 2 years. I have friends who have bought front cuts from Japan and it's much the same story; if there's Toyota red coolant in the radiator, the cooling system will be in perfect condition.

That green coolant is no good at all. I used to use that in my Celica, and I lost a radiator and an 18R-G cylinder head to severe corrosion. I now have a new cylinder head and I won't be using green coolant any more!

Make sure you flush the green stuff out real good before you fill up with red stuff. Drain the radiator and run a hose through the radiator and the block until the water comes out clear, then fill the system with plain water and drive around until it gets up to operating temperature. Drain and flush again, and THEN add the new coolant. This pretty much guarantees there will be no old coolant left in the system.

·
Registered
69 Posts
toyota has the reputation for highest quality, and it's not just a myth. they must know a little something about making cars last. the red stuff is the best, period. as stated earlier in this thread, it is free from sicilates. the best effect of that is that water pumps and seals last longer, and i believe there is less corrosion too.

my 82 p type has over 300,000 MILES (not km), and the water pump has been replaced once. my 88 corolla sr5 (daily driver) has 356,000 MILES, and the water pump and radiator have each been replaced once. not only that, i have only replaced the upper radiator hose, all ther other hoses are factory!

if you can find texaco antifreeze, it has a similar formula, though it is orange colored. i use that on my villager minivan, 182,000 MILES on radiator, one water pump changed.

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
I'm still in the experimental stage myself. :D

Installed the Toyota Red in the Silver Slug after the 1st coolant change after I got the car. No probs so far.

Just installed the Red in the Redpra, during the BHG reassembly. Still no problems.

Both cars also have Redline Waterwetter.

·
Registered
991 Posts
CJSREDPRA said:
I'm still in the experimental stage myself. :D

Just installed the Red in the Redpra, during the BHG reassembly. Still no problems.

Well obviously I haven't been paying close enough attention....BHG???

When did this happen Chris?

Leslie

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Les...it happened while you were in Berkeley protesting that thing you were protesting.

:gotrice:

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Heeheehee....

Leslie, I was kinda keeping it "quiet"... I did post about it, but it was "hidden" in the Show/Event Forum in the Baxter's Historical Races thread. The BHG happened around the end of June & the car was down for a month. I ended up going to Baxters in the Slug... Still had a blast & Keith was pretty thrilled that this years Baxters meet was a actual 4 Gen gathering!!!

Anywho, got the car back around the end of July. Just in time for the PacNW Nationals & the Vancouver B.C. meet that Seamus did last month. During the PacNW Nationals, I strapped it to the dyno & discovered that I gained 12 rwhp... Whee.... Will probably dyno in Vegas again, to see what kind of numbers I'm getting at the Vegas higher elevation.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts