Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

381 - 395 of 395 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,344 Posts
Yeah I'm not sure about July yet either. Been an odd year for me so far, focusing on other stuff these days. Like fixing up my property right now, haven't hit a single autox yet.

Your pics make me want to hit pack wood for an event again though! That was awesome last year.

So a regular autox event there and you're still only getting 3 runs a day?

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #382
We actually get 5 or 6 runs a day depending on attendance.. I usually just record the 3 that count for pointt. However, it' always interesting to see people dial down the times by the 5th runs.

Yeah, unless you or Don want to do nationals again, I'll think I'll chill, and just to the regional events this year. My season budget is pretty stretched with autocross, chumpcar, and the year end hillclimb at Goldendale.

·
Premium Member
1,960 Posts
Not looking too good for me coming up in july, although would love to!

Just broke my kaaz diff today at the ProSolo. Rear end actually locked up, spun the car to a stop. This may be a costly repair, so packwood is kinda unlikely :(

Don L.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Not looking too good for me coming up in july, although would love to!

Just broke my kaaz diff today at the ProSolo. Rear end actually locked up, spun the car to a stop. This may be a costly repair, so packwood is kinda unlikely :(

Don L.
Wow! You are really struggling with differentials! Sorry to hear.

I hope the manufacturers are helping you out...after all you are beta-testing their equipment! Haha

·
Premium Member
1,960 Posts
No kidding! Trutrac has been the only problem free LSD so far, still best choice for most. I guess things just break when subjected to undesigned abuses, oh well. Gotta figure this out!

Don L.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #386
Hey Guys,

At one of my last autocross events, the safety stewards noticed some exposed cords on my race tires and gave me the wavy finger stink eye. No doubt, the tires I was running were waaay used up. Almost 3 seasons of autocross with 6 previously used tires (4 Hoosier & 2 Hankcook) in rotation. Time to retire them and start with a fresher set.

A few years ago, I purchased 10 used road raced Hooisers, for cheap. Such a good deal I drove to Seattle on a whim to get'em. Some had more wear than others. I can tell which ones he had on the front vs rear, as well as inside vs outside from the sluffed rubber marks. Anyways, they've been sitting since, so now finally, I have the pick of the litter. So I basically picked the 4 tires that appeared to have the most rubber on them. Go figure, two were white walled, two were black walled. Probably both fronts from two different sessions. At first I figured it would be an easy way to keep track of rotations between events. Some of you may have noticed at my last autocross event, rockn' the mismatched pair.

With the 2014 NW Supra Nationals event getting closer on the calendar, I wanted to prepare a bit by giving the supra a good washdown and freshen up a few details. The faded logo white walls were kinda bugging me. It gave me the inspiration to attempt to brighten them up for that extra racy look. Sounds easy enough, LOL.

Here we go... Step one, give em a good washing.

The black wall tires have an embossment of the Hoosier logo, while the white wall tires simply have the logo painted on an embossed frame.

I used the embossed logo to make a rubbing to transfer the logo to paper. I pen transferred the paper logo to clear transparencies. Then I cut out the transparencies with a razor to create paint stencils. IMO, they turned out quite cool.

Cut to size, and apply vigorous amounts of masking tape, and paper to prevent overspray. With all the tape, it kinda formed around the complex curvatures of the tire. Which later I found, it helps position the logo consistently between positions.

Advice from on-line research suggested to do very light coats. With multiple passes and drying sessions. This should prevent future cracking. I used flat white enamel. We'll see how long it lasts.

With the freshly removed stencil, the resulting image is still a bit fuzzy, especially around the bottom. I found that gasoline works as a perfect paint remover on rubber, and with a bit of clean up with a q-tip, the logo really cleaned up and sharpened up. It was like an eraser for the paint. The final result was quite clean and bright.

One down.. seven more to go. LOL.

The whole process took me about three days to do all four tires. By now, it seems a bit obsessive compulsive, the word doesn't even make sense to me anymore. LOL.

I now have "Hoosier" plastered in eleven places on my ride. Technically, they are a sponsor of my racing. I'm part of their contingency program, in which I can win free tires if I place at a SCCA National Solo or ProSolo event, and provide proof. It may happen. But for now, at least they make good tires and I'm proud to rock'em.

I think after all that work, it was worth it. They look sexy.

--Sam.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #387
2014 NW Supra Nationals
June 6th-8th, 2014

Hey Guys,

This one is a bit of a double post from the Shows & Meets page, but I wanted to record this in my own Supra blog. But anyways, woohoo one hell of a cool weekend. The first day, I showed up to the drag racing without my car!! Gawd, that was lame of me. (though, I did just come from work..) Watching some of those supras rip down the 1/4 mile under 12 seconds!

I missed out on day 2's activities at PSI. After looking at the pictures, I should have ditched the family to watch a few dyno pulls.
1035HP!! Holy Horsepower Supraman..

Day 3 however, I camed armed with my Supra and a camera to the show N shine. It was only 82 degrees, but it was hot out there. Just cooking on the blacktop. I loved the random boosting and blowoffs from passing Supras on the main road. Turning 50 heads at a time LOL.

Who brings Datsuns to a Toyota meet?!? Ok they're cool, they can come play.

Engine Bay Shots:

The ending ceremony
.. Had to unload all that weight from Shay's car! Bling-blang!

Wooooo! I won a trophy! errrr.. it won a trophy! I'm so very proud of my Supra. A big thank you to the judges. A great addition to the Mantel of Supra Appreciation. It was a great opportunity to show her off and talk supra. Absolutly fun weekend!!

Good times! Next year I'm going for the Triple Crown. LOL.

Cheers guys! :thumbsup:

--Sam.

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
The lettering on those tires works well, Sam. Just spent a while catching up on your thread, great stories and pics as always. Please remind me again when the hillclimb is closer, Im serious about attending...

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #391
Cresta or Chaser?

Do you have any information on this car? Is this a native to Canada?
The emblem on the front suggests Cressida. However, the square body looks like a Chaser. Sorry, no other info on this car. I went thu all my pics and there was no other shot of it. Very nice car though, clean and sexy. I like the fender flairs and the front lip fix.

--Sam.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #392
2014 - NHA Maryhill Hillclimb
Sept 6, 2014

Hey Guys,

Most people have probably never heard of Goldendale, Washington. It's the desert, with scenic hills and windmills. They have their own fully functional Stonehenge (no shit, very cool). And they also happen to have the oldest paved road in Washington. Literally the first asphalt road ever laid down in the state. Built in 1911 the Maryhill Loops Historic road is opened up a few times a year to Grassroots style hillclimb racers to set the fast times up the hill. For it's age, it's held up very well, even with banked angle hairpins. It's kept fresh with a few modern makeovers of perfect layers pavement and sealant. Soooo smooooth and grippy. Dare I say one of the worlds most perfect roads. Though it being a dead end, where the hell were they going with it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maryhill_Loops_Road

With all that said.. I had one exciting weekend ripping up this driveway of my dreams. Sure there's cliffs, sharp rocks, and certain death around every corner, but OMG it was one of coolest driving experiences I've had with the Supra so far.

The Northwest Hillclimb Association organizes a dozen hillclimb events every summer in Northern California, Oregon, Washington, and Idaho. With any points competition, you have the major players touring and hitting every event. Well prepared to travel with RVs, enclosed trailers, and fast cars. A step up in commitment beyond attending local Autocross events. But for the average joe, if they host an event nearby, it's a great opportunity to drive a closed road coarse with minimal safety requirements. IMO, the event fees are completely reasonable

for the seat time. Check'em out.

http://www.nhahillclimb.org/

This being my very first hillclimb, there was a bit of adjusting to the organizational format. To run a hillclimb efficiently, requires a strict adhearance to run order. We'd all run up the hill, and parade down in order. When the run session is 3 hours long.. your work session is 3 hours long. Fellow drivers/coarse workers are stranded along a 2.3 mile stretch of shadeless hillside during your run session. Just waiting for the chance to hose down something with the fire extinguishers.

That brings me to the one negitive thing about this event, the desert conditions were brutal. Albeit, beautiful. It was 90+ degrees, super dry, and shade was very limited. The cow patty field being used as the pits had pungy-stick like hey shards everywhere. One cigeratte butt away from Rambo II. The fine dust and loose gravel was everywhere. My sticky Hoosiers took a beating just getting to the race surface, trying to bring half the rocks with me.

The sun hates me. I was skipping from one trailer shade spot to the next. During my driving stint, I was in my nomex race suit pouring water down the back of my neck. Prepping was exhausting, driving was intense and schweaty, and corner working was like an episode of Surviverman. Mandatory survival tools included sunscreen, an umbrella, a chair, and cold water soon to be hot water. After three hours stuck on the side of a desert hill I was considering a shower down with the workstation water extinguisher. It was a bit more of a battle that I expected. The sound of the cars echoing up the valley was entertaining though.

Enough bitching.. on with the racing action.

60 cars were registered for the event. I love looking at other peoples race cans. People come from near and far and they all like to talk car. A nice variety of new cars to gawk at. Alot of older Datsuns, a few Corvettes & Mustangs, several European and Japanese imports, several carts, and one EV. It was clear more than a few people meant business. I got alot of complements on the Supra, even covered in several layers of cowcrap dust.

There was even a one-legged driver of a very nice, very fast Porsche. He straight destroyed my times up that hill. Go dude! A very impressive driver.

Starring down the starting lane.. A drag race start to turn one.

When the moment finally came. Ready.. Go! The racing was epic. All thoughts of discomfort are re-recorded over with apex lines, breaking points, and shift matches. Eyes up, and for gawds sake, don't understeer! I felt the car's grip and balance was outstanding. I felt it was easy to control the throttle out of corners with the tiniest hint of oversteer. I was a little concerned about the lack of seat time I've had at higher speeds, and I wasn't sure how my autocross and Chumpcar experience would translate across. But the Supra felt natural and at ease with the power and weight transfers. It made me feel fairly comfortable, in control. Which probably means I was a bit conservative, but no doubt for good reason.

Here's some of my camera action. I tried someting a bit different this time and bolted my crappy camera to the roof. The angle is a bit low, and the wind noise is overwhelming. You can barley make out some blow-offs and tires squeel. Im aware the general consensus is I need a Gopro. LOL. Enjoy the ride along.

There was one moment when I went into 4th gear on a fast straight and locked up my brakes downshifting back to 2nd for a hairpin. The ass end kicked out a bit with a front tire well full of smoke. I'm sure it gave the workers I was heading towards a bit of a thrill. I actually did slide out towards the pavement edges a few times, a bit close, but I felt ok with it and easily corrected. I love my Supra.

As I got more familiar with the road, by the fourth run, I was able to shave several seconds.

Run 01 - 151.830
Run 02 - 148.944
Run 03 - 148.221
Run 04 - 146.711

Alot of people were in the 130 second range, way faster than me. The 2 minute barrier has been broken in past races. That's scary fast!

The day was not without inncedents. The blue Datsun 1200 did the unthinkable slid down a hillside about 30 ft. Ouch. Once pulled out, he drove it back to the pits. This Mustang overdrove thru the finish line and managed to slide it down into a ditch filled with sharp volcanic rocks. Then catch on fire. The driver said he pulled his on-board fire handle, and it just pulled right out into his hands, with no desired extingwish action. Thankfully some quick minded coarse workers hosed the thing down and put out the flames while I was still struggling to get my phone out of my race suit.

Back at my oasis of a campsite.. Changing tires in comfort rather than in the fire hazard of a hey field.

To sum it up.. this weekend was super exciting, and super exhausting. Two days playing Ironman in the angry sun can really take it out of you. Then a long drive back home. Awwww.. it's the life. I don't mind the sufferage to have that great of a time. Next time I'll be better prepared. And hopefully some friends with an itch to drive up a dead end road.

You guys have got to try this!!

--Sam.

·
Premium Member
1,960 Posts
Thanks for sharing Sam! Love your updates on the racing. That looks like a great road and lots of fun! Good thing you had some experience with the road racing, bet it helped!

Don L.

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
Crap.. Now very sorry I missed it. Great footage, Sam.

·
Super Moderator
10,344 Posts
Cool!

Don't think I'd try it in my black car though. They do a big hill climb at Knox Mountain in Kelwona up here every year. Been meaning to make it to that event for awhile. I've driven the road many times, it would be sweet in race conditions.

381 - 395 of 395 Posts