Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whelp...this is my sad story...here we go.

It was my 2nd year of college and I was moving to this new town called Terrace.
My older brother told me I needed a sweet ride, because chicks dig that. (Seemed like a good idea ha)
My brother decided to gift me his Toyota Tacoma that was lifted, had a diesel engine, solid axle...oh man.. it was beautiful.

As I rolled into the college parking lot on my first day, heads rolled. Just tanking in casually, no big deal.
and as it happen to be..chicks dug the crazy out of it.
and it was tonnes of fun.

Although, one day... the worst happened.

I was heading back to Prince Rupert to do some TLC on the truck when I noticed black smoke coming from the back of the truck.
I started to slow down and then BOOM! White and black smoke coming out. I slowed down to a stop.

The truck filled up quickly with white smoke. I grabbed the hood latch, and ran outside of the truck and popped the hood.

My smoke show had made about 30 metres of the highway dissapear into a thick white cloud.

I couldn't see anyone, it was so white.

The next best part was all the vehicles that stopped to see what was going on.
A grand total of about 20 to 25 vehicles.
People either rushing out or casually walking over and peaking through the white clouds of white smoke.

"Hi, I am fine" "Please call this number when you get to town and ask for my brother" "No, engine blew up" "Nope, I am not on fire" "Yes, something is wrong with my vehicle"

Oh...the people, they never stopped.

When the smoke settled and everyone dissapeared. I sat in my truck on the side of the road.
My brother came rushing in on his other Tacoma. We ended up going back to rupert, and grabbing the big truck and towing it all the way back.
I lay in my bed that night, wishing vehicles wouldn't just blow up like that...

Oh well... got a supra now!
BOO YA!

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
I've seen a few videos on Youtube of runaway diesel engines, that also make a big smoke show! I guess the turbo oil seal blows out, and the engine sucks in the crankcase oil and burns it/smokes. When you try to turn off the engine, it keeps running because the glow plugs are still hot and it continues to suck in crankcase oil. The engine will run until the lower end starves of oil and finally blow up. The only way to shut it down is by stuffing something in the intake to smother it of air.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya, it was a rough missing that truck. I ended up getting a protege 5 for the winter. I however, didn't truly get into cars till this year.
Gas prices these days are rough, and cars sucking less gas makes my life a bit easier.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Most modern diesels have an 'anti shudder valve' that closes when you turn off the engine. It is a throttle plate in the intake (right where a normal throttle body would be in a gas engine) that closes to shut the engine off smoothly (hence, anti-shudder), but when the engine is running it stays completely open. It will also allow you to safely and easily turn off a runaway diesel.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts