Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 251 Posts

·
Registered
13,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
autoblog.com said:

Toyota's President Akio Toyoda has said the automaker is in desperate need of an excitement injection, and here's the first dose: the Toyota FT-86 Concept.

Inspired by the Corolla-based AE86 sports coupe of the '80s, the FT-86 concept was designed by the automaker's ED2 styling studio in France and bears a remarkable resemblance to the FT-HS concept shown at the Detroit Auto Show several years back.

Since it's a "concept," Toyota hasn't divulged much about the FT-86 yet, but we do know it's powered by a Subaru-derived 2.0-liter boxer four sending power to the rear wheels. Toyota focused on keeping the weight down to improve handling and, according to one source, the platform is unique to the concept. The engine sits lower in the engine bay to aid aerodynamics while keeping the center of gravity in check, and the overall dimensions of Toyota's new 2+2 are 163.78 inches long and 69.29 inches wide, with a wheelbase of 101.18 inches.

After the FT-86 bows in concept form at the Tokyo Motor Show next month, the production model will be shown sometime next year with sales beginning sometime in late 2011 carrying a sticker price somewhere north of $20,000.
Click the following link to go to the original story and the photo gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/10/06/toyko-2009-preview-toyota-ft-86-concept-brings-back-the-hachiro/

So, what do you think about this? I think it is going to be an absolute failure. Too heavy, too slow, too expensive. FAIL.

--billyM

·
Registered
683 Posts
I think it looks alright but not in love with it. Denfinatly not what I would expect being inspired by the AE86, but I think the price tag will make it fail.
Not sure why they would axe the MR-2 only to start development on this. Seems like the MR-2 atleast had a better niche market to fill.

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
So this car will take the celicas place? No freaking way will be a supra, not with a subaru engine an 4 cylinders. Fail.

·
Registered
199 Posts
When they say inspired by, they usually mean that style of car. A low weight sports coupe. They didnt say: "This is the new AE86". We all just need to wait and see what Toyota does with this. For all we know, it could be a successful, low cost sports coupe, that can in fact be comparable to the AE86. We needn't be so hasty to jump to conclusions.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Fail! And. Why is it based on the corolla when the supra was the benchmark of all toyota's back then? They need to ask the enthusiast ... Us at cs.com

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Well, I think I'm going to have to agree. I don't think pricing NORTH of the 20's is a tribute to AE anything but that's me and as Billy said, heavy and large? Does not equal exciting. If you are going to make something north of 20's then you are in G37 land. It also looks like the Genisis would kick it's ass...:SM130 (1):

·
Super Moderator
8,262 Posts
I'm just happy they are trying. Although I do wish they'd change the front bumper and dump the boxer 4. The rear 3/4 shots actually look pretty decent.

·
Administrator
7,186 Posts
I like it. I doubt they are trying to actually reproduce an 80s Corolla.

All cars are heavy now....so if its lighter than the Genesis etc. we may have a winner. I do like the styling (assuming it stays as aggressive)....shows Toyota has some balls again.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I love the way the car looks. Will wait to see how it performs before I make a judgement.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
In trying to look through the Prototype gadgetry I have a feeling it's going to come out looking a little like a Genesis. As long as they have a focus on a lighter weight Sports Coupe, I'm not picky as to Corolla/Celica/Supra inspired design. I'm just happy that their thinking this direction again. As for the power, I'm sure that they would have some sort of power adder or bigger engine for a Sport Vs. Base model. It wouldn't make any sense otherwise. As for Pricing, look at the base price for just about any new car now days. Near the $20k mark or higher. If it's RWD and has some semblance of Sportiness in the way it handles, it'll sell at just over $20k.

·
Administrator
7,186 Posts
As for the power, I'm sure that they would have some sort of power adder or bigger engine for a Sport Vs. Base model. It wouldn't make any sense otherwise.
I would hope so...esp with a turbo 4 and big displacement 6 offered in the Genesis.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Well its ok looking i see alot of new cars in this one besides the genisis like a see a little mazda. But dont underestimate the subaru engine. those littl 4 bangers have quite an output look at the rally scene that the WRX Conqured for awhile. And I would have to agree i would have to drive it before making a judgement on it. With the advances in modern autpmotive technology it could be one amazing handeling car for all we know. And i would be suprised if toyota start doing like BMW and covering the whole engine bay in plastic and if any plastic is removed it voids warranty. But all in all im excited to see it come out and see what it can do.

·
Registered
78 Posts
It's not bad looking, it looks ok, I do not know why they have a subaru engine in it, there are plenty of toyota engines that they could have used and should use, we will see what happens in the end I guess, and the price tag sucks as well if its going to be north of 20k

1 - 20 of 251 Posts