Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is on a 7mgte mk2
I am trying to adjust the TPS by ear, but i cant get teh revs to raise or fall by moving it.

Is the tps so far off that i have to remove the 2 screws holding it in place, and pull it off and rotate it, to get some more adjustability?

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
Ken

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
the only best and right way to adjust a TPS is to use a digital voltmeter as per TSRM...

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i know, but i still cant adjust it enough.
It seems like i have to turn in more than it can be turned
That is why i feel it has to be removed and put a tooth back or forward

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Toyota TPS only goes in one way and one way only... there are no teeth to worry about just the adjustments back and forth

·
Registered
791 Posts
tps's are a touchy little device. If you have to pull it out and rotate it to get the rpm to change, it could be that the tps is actually bad. However, if you've pulled it out previously, its a possiblity that it was put back in incorrectly.
I recall having to rotate it a bit to get a little hook over a flat thing on the throttle body. Sorry, that's the best I can do from memory after doing this over 2 years ago! Try checking the positioning of the tps as it mates up to the throttle body again.
As for setting the tps by ear, I've set mine both by ear and by the manual, but seem to have better results and a lot less time wasted by just doinng it by ear. To each there own I guess...

·
Registered
178 Posts
Moving it all the way from one side to the other doesn't change the rpm at all? or just you can't hear the change with minor adjustments in the middle of the sensor?

after I took off my throttle body and cleaned it up (this is on a 6m-ge) I accidently unscrewed mine and moved it around alot (yeah, was stupid, didn't know what it was at first, lol).
Once I got my car back together again my check engine light was on and figured this was the problem. Had to fiddle with it alot, after half hour I gave up and tried the next day again for a while. Moving it all the way one way and all the way back only changed the revs a little bit, not even a few hundred rpm as a guess, not much at all. But the only time I could hear a change in rpm's was near the ends of turning it. Like said before, they are very touchy. If I'd move it a little bit you couldn't hear the rpm's change at all. Near the middle of the range of the sensor the rpm's didn't change one bit. Yet it didn't turn off the check engine light till it was perfect, and that took a while with some aggravation, lol.
So if you aren't hearing a change in the middle of the range it may not seem like it's changing the rpm but it's still sees a change I believe.
Maybe I'm wrong but that's how it was with my car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts