Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an AT in my 83. Just wondering what the stock gearing is. Or how can I find out.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Norbie,
Thanks for that site. I did not see much that would help determining what gears I have.

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Ron,

Go back to Matti & Helene's webpage. Scroll down to the Automatic gearbox ratio's at the bottom of the page. Look for the ratio's for the A42DE. This is a close approximation, if not the same ones that we have, our 83+ Automagic's have the A43DE, the 82's have the A43DL. HTH.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Chris,
Is is possible to change the gearing in it? By the way. How is that gearing. I have never drove this car. I got it with a bad rod. Hell I can talk all day about motor's and stereos. But Trans' I hate. I appreciate it greatly. Do you happen to know if there are anyother PacNW members out near Port Angeles. I am the newest member there I believe. And am just trying to find people nearby.

Ron

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Ron,

Not sure if the ratio's can be changed, you'll have to ask some of the other Autotranny experts out here.

As for the ratio feel, it's hard to say on this... My 85 MKII has the W58 5-speed, but the 81 MKI has the A43D Auto w/ a 3.73 Non LSD rear. So I'm assuming that it's the same setup as your MKII. Problem is that my setup is in a lighter weight MKI w/ the lower HP (116 crank) 5ME. With this setup, it accelerates okay, but I'm not going to win any drag races with it. Shawn Pease has driven it several times & he mentioned that it feels pretty quick for this particular drivetrain setup. Back in February of this year, I got a chance to drive another 81 MKI that had the W50 5-speed (and the same rear diff ratio), and I noticed that it pulled much quicker.

It's been a few years since I've driven a MKII w/ a A43DL/DE automatic w/ the 3.73, so I can't give you any comparisons at the moment.

Unfortunately, I don't know of any active PacNW members out in your neck of the woods. :( Closest thing that we have related to Port Angeles at the moment, was a Fun Run up to Hurricane Ridge that we did back in the Summer of 98 (we're overdue for a Fun Run "somewhere"). There are a handful of PacNW members across the Strait in Victoria, BC, but it's been awhile since we've heard from them. Wish I had more answers, sorry!!! :D

·
Registered
85 Posts
The auto tranny in the 84 has a 2.45:1 low gear which, with a 4.10 or 4.30 rear gear really pulls hard. 1st gear in the W58 is too low for a 4.30 rear gear IMHO, That's why most peeps (especially the turbos) want 3.73s. The OD in the auto is much higher than the W58 also (33% vs. 18%) so you sacrifice less fuel economy when you drop the rear gear to 4.30's than you might think.
I did this swap last summer (went to 4.30s instead of the factory 4.10s) and the car was really quick!! Of course I didn't rebuild the LSD first so I ended up swapping back Due to a massive "clunk" that developed :(. One of these days they will go back in,.. It was that much MORE fun with the 4.30s!
Ihth,
Jamie

1 - 7 of 7 Posts