Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question: How do you know how much trans. lubricant to put in? The book says 5mm from the fill hole, but I dont know how to measure that. When I fill it, it oozes all over and I cant tell it it is that full or if that is just runoff. IS there an easier way?

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
basically that's about it.... what I do since I am a little bit lazy... I fill it on the shifter hole and once it oozes out at the fill hole I put the bolt back on and presto... the tranny is filled :wink:

Jay

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HOLY SHIT! You can fill it through the shifter hole! I WASTED ALL THAT TIME AND MADE A GIANT MESS TRYING TO PUMP 80W GEAR LUBE THROUGH A HOSE FOR NOTHING!! :mad: :mad:
Now I know...

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I hate filling up tranny on the ground especially not having a pump and hose to put the fuild in like back in TOYOTA dealership I once work

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Owners manual says 2.5 quarts for a W58. I've been able to get in 3 quarts w/ minimal overflowing spillage.

Easy spillfree way is through the shifter hole on the top. Oh yeah, the Yahoo list has known about this method for years... 8) :shock:

Otherwise, it's through the normal fill hole if you have a pump. ALSO!!!! if you are going this way, MAKE SURE that you can loosen the plug for the fill hole BEFORE you remove the drain plug!!!!

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lol. Thats what happened to me! I drained it when I replaced my clutch a few months ago, then couldnt get it open to fill it! That was a huge PITA, I wish I had known about the shifter thing.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
my friend stripped the bolt on his fill hole and then when he drilled it out he split the case where it is sealed....lol it was hilarious, well not really downed his car for another month or so....

·
Registered
141 Posts
Here is a dumb question. :oops: By the "shifter hole" you mean inside the car below thw shifter boot cover? Or removing the shifter itself? I really could use this info to save me from that PITA job on the ground next time. Thanks! :p

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
you basically remove the whole shifter assy out from the tranny and put the tranny fluid in the shifter hole

1 - 9 of 9 Posts