Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so i bought a different supra than the one i posted about in my introduction but this one has auto tranny probmlems as well. its an 85 ptype the charcoal-ish blue-ish color with a blue interior. Its in straight up awesome shape except im pretty sure the previous owner neutral slammed it one too many times.
When I drive it, I have to chase the peddle or else the tranny shakes the whole car violently and makes a rummbling sound. The rear is fine. The problem is only going forward. It goes into reverse fine.

Now for some infor on these transmissions: Do the a43 have the band style clutches that chryslers use? Or would it be cheaper just to replace the whole thing?

Thanks for putting up with me
preston

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
if u want to replace the whole tranny, i have one off a 84 p type with 125K. lmk

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ill let you know. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,112 Posts
The a43 series uses one way clutches(sprags) instead of bands. Take it to a shop, you may have other issues than trans. Could be bad trans/engine mounts, could be bad torque converter, could be bad transmission.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought about the torque converter and tranny mounts too, but i think its the cluster because it does shift but once it does it shakes. over 45 i can gun it and press into the peddle and its fine, just takes forever to get to 45 haha

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
Check your drive shaft to make sure its bolted down correctly

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the tip zank. I ll make sure to check the u joints

Real quick one, I saw the other thread on here about the guy who is also having autotrans problems and i didnt see the cressida listed as not compatible. If i find an auto cressy should i get the tranny from it?

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
A43DE

Four speed automatic with lockup torque converter and electronic controls

Applications:

* 1982-1987 Toyota Cressida
* 1983-1986 Celica Supra
* 1992-up Suzuki Sidekick (4L30E)
* 1992-1998 Volvo 960/S90 (AW 30-43LE)

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
get it from me, how much r u willing to pay for a tranny?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Biggest problem is the drive down to baltimore. Not sure which vehicle my old man would let me borrow for a day.

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
will fit in any trunk, is not heavy, lmk maybe we can meet half way if that works for u.

pm me a price.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Zupra, you gots mail

·
Registered
9 Posts
You still don't have your cable adjusted properly. Consider getting a firewall adjustable quadrant. You can get those at Summit. They have the entire clutch cable package. I put one in my nephew's 02 GT in one afternoon, so it's no big deal. The self adjustable quadrant is a POS.

Forex Automatic Trading

1 - 14 of 14 Posts