Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, I got this crazy idea from a toyota crazy friend of mine... so anyway, within my own knowlege I can say that a 1JZ will bolt up to the mk2's W58 transmission, but my question is, will a 2JZ bolt up to the W58... I havent been able to figure this one out because anyone who does the 2JZ swap tosses the W58 along with the 5M... and the reason I want to know is because if the 2JZ bolts to the W58, the 6-speed will bolt to my good ol' 2.8 litre, and everyone knows that six grears are more fun than five... just a question. No gaurentees I'm bold enough to do it... (Although my friend might be.)

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I dunno about most people who swap in a 2jz, but all the ONE (Norbie) I've seen have used a W58 BECAUSE it fits and works fine AND was fitted to the motor in stock form. From what I have found out about the v160/v161 6speed you refer to is it's waaayyy too big. Not to mention the shifter coming in the wrong spot. Now, I'm not saying it couldn't be done but...for what it's worth I think I'd stick with the W58 for all the work involved. Even for 6 gears......sigh

HTH
Nick

·
Super Moderator
8,352 Posts
The JZ and M series engine blocks use different mounting patterns for the tranny. The W58 has different bellhousing for each engine. The V160/1 only came behine a 2JZ so there is no correct bellhousing to mount to a M series engineblock. That and the MkIV shifter position is way too far back for the Mk2.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats What I had figured by looking a pictures of them. just a crazy idea. and besides, The W58 is a great 5 speed tranny.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts