Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to remove my trans to do a rear main seal and the TSRM says I need to drain my coolant, remove upper radiator hose and remove steering gear housing etc. At first glance it doesn't appear that all that should be necessary. Am I missing something?

·
Premium Member
5,297 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for confirming I don't need to do all that, I was thinking it might be needed if you tilted the engine back.

yea thats the page of the manual I was looking at, its not very uh... "verbose" lol. Emptied the trans so don't need worry about fluid. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
8,104 Posts
Just make sure you have about 3 ft worth of extensions to remove the starter and upper bell housing bolts. You'll probably want to remove the stock fan if you still have the fan shroud.

·
Registered
15,002 Posts
Buy a 24-36in long extension, then you can use a socket and ratchet with the ratchet back by the tail housing after you remove the trans cross member to get the bolts out. Or an impact if you have a 1/2in drive extension that long.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You guys didn't warn me about that top starter bolt, that guy is an a-hole haha. Got the trans out though. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
15,002 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Some good stuff in there, thanks! I did the starter from underneath, I see now that it would have been easier from above. haha

Now to find the oil leak/leaks. I assumed it was the rear main seal, but the EGR seems suspiciously very oily. I might have to do all the seals in that area.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts