Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is my auto transmission in my 85 Supra Ptype toasted? I was driving on a highway and suddenly I heard a whinning noise coming from the transmission housing. The car lost every gears, fortunately, I was on the right lane and was able to pull to the shoulder. The engine runs good except there's this bad whinning noise coming from the tranny's housing. Car wont go into any gear. I've to tow it back to my house. Do I need a new tranny? If I do, then where can I get it done? My 85Supra has only 84k miles and it's in almost pristine condition. I would like to keep it in the family for many years to come.

·
Super Moderator
8,131 Posts
I would start with the basics and check the fluid level and the condition of the fluid. Then move to draining the oil and refilling it. Then let us know what happens from there.

·
Founding Member
6,227 Posts
A43DE transmission does make a sort of whine. Its the hydraulic pump. If its louder all of a sudden and won't go into gear, then its probably lost hydraulic pressure. My guess is its either leaked out too much fluid and the pump trying to pump air or one of the internal pressure lines has come loose and its just squirting back into the pan, the main pressure regulating valve has failed open or worst case the pump has failed. If its the pump, then the transmission would have to come out to be repaired. Doesn't mean a new transmission, but it may be cheaper to source a used one than to repair. As Supras came on the second or third hand market, it was hard to find a factory 5sp in decent shape so it became popular to buy one with an automatic and swap a 5 speed. Many of our members here did that and now have old automatics sitting out in the shed for 20+ years that they don't know what to do with. You could probably get one for a song if you are willing to go pick it up. Get it diagnosed first, then post in the wanted section if necessary. Good luck.

·
Registered
45 Posts
My sister's old Mazda suddenly had the same sound, that was the spline into the gearbox pulled snapped off at the converter, material fatigue..
But I also tend to suspect the hydraulics in some way.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I towed it to the transmission shop and they found lots of metallic debris in the transmission pan. They think the Torq converter is shot with some other stuffs. I don't know if I should let them rebuilt it or look for a good used transmission.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A43DE transmission does make a sort of whine. Its the hydraulic pump. If its louder all of a sudden and won't go into gear, then its probably lost hydraulic pressure. My guess is its either leaked out too much fluid and the pump trying to pump air or one of the internal pressure lines has come loose and its just squirting back into the pan, the main pressure regulating valve has failed open or worst case the pump has failed. If its the pump, then the transmission would have to come out to be repaired. Doesn't mean a new transmission, but it may be cheaper to source a used one than to repair. As Supras came on the second or third hand market, it was hard to find a factory 5sp in decent shape so it became popular to buy one with an automatic and swap a 5 speed. Many of our members here did that and now have old automatics sitting out in the shed for 20+ years that they don't know what to do with. You could probably get one for a song if you are willing to go pick it up. Get it diagnosed first, then post in the wanted section if necessary. Good luck.
Thank you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts