Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

221 - 240 of 267 Posts

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #221
artm,

What type of springs are you using, and where did you get them from?

Also, how did you find dealing with Shadbolt? How long did it take to get the cams done, did he explain things to you? I truly enjoyed dealing with Barry. He is the epitomy of "Old School", or maybe "Really Old School".

With me he was really upfront. But I would like to hear what you thought.

Regards,

Dale Z

·
Registered
655 Posts
re: 7m studs

williamb82 said:
we need to contact arp and get the proper length studs made for the 5m application. i dont like the fact of using 7mgt studs that are too short and having to drop ball bearings in the holes so the studs dont go all the way down.

I agree. I remember Ray Fung (I think it was him?) from the old yahoo e-mail list posted a direct replacement ARP stud size from a Ford that would work with our 5M engines. Identical in length and size. I printed the e-mail, but do not have it on me right now (I'm away on business). Does anybody else remember what I'm talking about?

Sonny

·
Registered
302 Posts
The machine shop (Hi-Performance Auto in Edmonton) found the springs for me - I believe they're from a GM Vortex 4.2 engine. OD/ID was a close match - height at rest and compressed was within spec. (slightly smaller but no problem with the retainer) - I believe they were about 100lbs vs the stock springs 80. The real plus was they were about 30% of the cost of stock and I could not find stock exhaust springs anywhere in north america without a 6 week wait.

Barry was super to deal with - had the cams back to me in about a week - very well packed and wrapped. He included return shipping in the cost of $321cdn for both grinds. I sent him 3 sets of used cams so he could pick the best ones. Very nice work - sent me all the grind info and washers that matched the base circle reduction.

·
Registered
13 Posts
A friend had some TRD cams way back when they were available from Toyota, these, a header/exhaust, and a small bit of tweaking on the airflow meter (richening) made for a Supra that pulled like a Clydesdale! Much to the utter SHOCK of two other friends one day that were interested in getting by this particular car at 125+ in a not entirely stock 5.0 Mustang on a farm to market road in Texas. That and the SOUND of the reworked exhaust (like the silky rasp of a wonderfully massaged Jaguar) from that Supra are part of why I love MKII's as I do.

·
Super Moderator
10,292 Posts
I was down in the LA area recently and paid Toysport a visit. I was chatting with one of the older guys there after he complimented me on my 85 in the parking lot and said that they were his favourite generation of Supra. I started talking cams a little with him and he said they used to race a mk2 in Showroom Stock road racing back in the day. He also said that they tried everything for cams back then, HKS, TRD, Greddy etc and never had much luck making big power with them. I mentioned this mild TRD cam grind and he said they tried several differnt TRD grinds. This is just what he said, not my opinion or anything.

I personally think this particular TRD grind has some good potential on a motor that has all of the right breathing mods done and I'm still going to give them a shot this summer and dyno before and after. Of course I've been saying that for awhile havn't I lol. I'm pretty committed to it now though, I've sold the motor in my car currently and I need to have the new motor built and installed sometime before September. I'll keep you guys posted.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I think it's shadbolt cams month... lol, I just ordered my set here in Medicine Hat... same price $321 canadian to the door. Beautiful work on the cams themselves. I'm currently getting my machine shop to look for springs for my application as well -- i'll suggest the vortex ones to them. Should have the engine running in about a month without the turbo/standalone etc.. As for the moment -- I am currently hogging out my intake runners (lower half) to match the port in hopes that i can keep my head flowing at 250cfm --I'm only running the lower half of the runners with a front mount throttle body intake.
Will let you guys know what it's like when she's done.

·
Super Moderator
10,292 Posts
Cool, I'll have to stop in and see this thing next time I'm out your way, which I usually am every 2nd year or so. You should bring it out to Vancouver for the Suprafest Nationals this year!

·
Registered
121 Posts
suprafest nationals?? when are they? and where?... on another note shadbolt cams sent me a beautiful jack knife with my purchase.. already cut myself with it... it's absolutely vicously sharp. Great company so far -- as long as the cams hold out i'll be super impressed.

·
Registered
121 Posts
man i'd love to go -- but i don't think the supra will be done even in NA trim by then... And at the moment i've got too many bloody cars in my garage... I hope i can.. but we'll see...

·
Registered
302 Posts
Have TRD Clones Dynoed

Its been a while since I've been here with the move and new job etc. I took my car in for baseline today - max hp was 153.8 on second run - first was 158.5 but I don't have graph for it(first run). Couldn't tune for more cause I had a waterpump bearing start to grind so had to shut down. I will repair and try again in the next few weeks. To recap I have a p&p, all new valvetrain with O/S ss valves and TRD clone cams from Shadbolt. Other stuff is bored out TB, modified ceramic pasesetter through 2.5 to magnaflow muffler, RC Intake, SFAC for tuning, MSD ignition etc.

Tuning guys figured I could get over 160 if we had time to play around. Have a few things I want to do.

Will update later.
[/url] (Linked)

·
Super Moderator
10,292 Posts
Sweet! Nice numbers and curve! You need to take it all the way to 7grand on the next dyno though, power hadn't even dropped at 6k yet (though probably peaked). Awesome setup, very similar. I can't wait to get mine going. You definitely have to come down for the Suprafest Nationals, there might even be a trophy in it for you with those numbers!

Finally, a dyno with the TRD clone cams. They look like exactly what I was hoping for, a mild improvment over stock with a slightly higher peak power and no significant loses lower down. How's it drive? Any idle issues now? Did you do anything to change the compression?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Next time - I'll run it up more - the bearing grinding was bothering me so I didn't want to push it - turned out to be the AC compressor - I'll probably just pull it out to save weight. Also want to play with fuel pressure and do a bit of work on the afm.
The car feels better in the real world than on the dyno. Very smooth power band. Idle is great not bumpy at all. I haven't done a compression test - the machine shop took the head down a bit but nothing radical.

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
DAMNIT I'm gonna have re read this whole thread. How could they be regrinds into another profile? I thought they were new.

221 - 240 of 267 Posts