Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

241 - 260 of 267 Posts

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
No, they are not brand new cams. In order to make new cams, you need cam blanks for a 5MGE. Pretty hard to do when they are not available anywhere. Thus they are regrinds, but you have to send in a pair to Shadbold. AND they have to be a good pair of cams. Send in a worn out crappy pair, & you will get back a worn out pair that's been regrinded.

Yes, it's allot of reading, but it will make sense.

·
Registered
302 Posts
It doesn't hurt to cally Barry at Shadbolt (number is in the thread somewhere) and discuss it with him. He will tell you what the minimums required are before regind. Pull a couple of heads and send in the best cams. He will also give you the run down on the reduced base circle and supply the right sized washers to go under the lash adjusters. I think he got the cams back to me within 5 days.

·
Super Moderator
10,292 Posts
its hard to find 5m cams with good lobes on them. Being regrinds a bit of wear and a little ridge should be fine, but the important part is that the journals on the cams are not too worn or grooved.

·
Registered
655 Posts
re:

Dang, just re-read all 25 pages and my eyes and brain hurt. Has anybody else got anything to add regarding these cams? How about the guys that installed a set awhile back, how are they holding out? Wanna get my car running this year, so for now I think I'll spring for these cams and get Karaki's blanks later on (when they become available).

Sonny

·
Registered
655 Posts
re: Springs

I think it's shadbolt cams month... lol, I just ordered my set here in Medicine Hat... same price $321 canadian to the door. Beautiful work on the cams themselves. I'm currently getting my machine shop to look for springs for my application as well -- i'll suggest the vortex ones to them. Should have the engine running in about a month without the turbo/standalone etc.. As for the moment -- I am currently hogging out my intake runners (lower half) to match the port in hopes that i can keep my head flowing at 250cfm --I'm only running the lower half of the runners with a front mount throttle body intake.
Will let you guys know what it's like when she's done.

Any chance you have a part number for those Vortec springs?

Sonny

·
Registered
121 Posts
they are just chevy 350 springs on the one side and Z24 springs on the other side.... I'll look monday and find out what they are... As for driveability -- if you get the AFR right, the engine isn't even lopey! Mine pulls very very flat from 2000 rpm right to 6000rpm.

·
Registered
206 Posts
has anybody dynoed these cams on a stock 5mge to see the amount of improvement (numerically)? Also, can you feel the difference in acceleration?

·
Super Moderator
10,292 Posts
has anybody dynoed these cams on a stock 5mge to see the amount of improvement (numerically)? Also, can you feel the difference in acceleration?
I don't think anyone has done a before and after dyno test on them yet but several people have them, not sure if anyone has dynoed a motor with them in it however. As for dynoing them in a stock 5mge, although kinda interesting, it would be kinda pointless too as cams require other upgrades to maximize their benefit. I'm building a motor over winter that will have them and I will be dynoing.

·
Super Moderator
10,292 Posts
how i can do to have regrinde cams
is quite difficult for me in europe to deal with the shop
if someone can help me!!!
These cams are regrinds so you would have to ship them a set of stock cams to have them modified. The shipping woud definitly be expensive but it might still be worth your time. They have dealt with other people from far away though so the language barrier is probably your going to be your biggest obstical.

·
Registered
655 Posts
re:

if someone can help me!!![/QUOTE

Another option is to see if he can source out a set of good used cams for you, grind them down, then mail them to you afterwards. This is what I did (after mailing him a set that turned out to be not worth grinding). Might be less headaches for you in the end, but you'd have to call him and talk to him first to make sure it's ok.

Sonny

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
if someone can help me!!!
Another option is to see if he can source out a set of good used cams for you, grind them down, then mail them to you afterwards. This is what I did (after mailing him a set that turned out to be not worth grinding). Might be less headaches for you in the end, but you'd have to call him and talk to him first to make sure it's ok.

Sonny
How much did this end up running you?

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
What a long read (subscribed). I'm working with a local customer, who just installed some Delta 272s in his car. He installed it with a ported head, and remanufactured rocker arms. The top end was noisy, and we were working on the car today. The shims Delta provided were a lot thinner than what we thought they needed to be. We put in some .040 shims, and still have noise. The lifters came from his previous head, which was very quiet. We're going to try to solve the issue again tomorrow (er..today), and will also be installing some Titan adjustable cam gears. Wish us luck!
-Aaron

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Let me know how the adj gears turn out since I have been thinking about a set myself.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I don't think anyone has done a before and after dyno test on them yet but several people have them, not sure if anyone has dynoed a motor with them in it however. As for dynoing them in a stock 5mge, although kinda interesting, it would be kinda pointless too as cams require other upgrades to maximize their benefit. I'm building a motor over winter that will have them and I will be dynoing.
Wow - this hasn't been put to bed after several years! I have done before and after - neither dyno was a stock engine - the first was with headers, bored out TB, p and p and intake pipe and new stock cams and lash adjusters. The second added TRD spec cams and 1mm o/s valves. I've posted on this before so didn't bother to resize the images - sorry.
I don't see any of these mods as worthwhile - way too much money and time for small gains - swap the engine.

241 - 260 of 267 Posts