Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Founding Member
6,590 Posts
Belt mouldings are a very complicated part with a rubber, plastic and metal all integrated into a seemless component. I always figured it would be the last piece of trim anyone would ever attempt. I've been mulling over how to do it for years thinking I might attempt after I retire in a few years. But I think I'd rebuild originals. Peel all the laminate off and straighten any dings. Then powdercoat them. That's the easy part. Then draw up a mold for the rubber wiper and have it CNC machined from aluminum and polished. It'd have to be very precise and may take a few prototypes to get it perfect because the metal strip has to be clamped into it tight enough that the urethane rubber doesn't leak past where its supposed to bond to the part. Coat with mold release, assemble, then maybe I could use a 2-part mixing gun to inject the material into the mold making sure it oozes out some evenly spaced relief holes on the back side of the wiper that can be trimmed off with an xacto knife. But I'm just thinking out loud if it helps you strategize your own process. Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I would be in for a set of the trim, I have messaged Billy but not gotten a response. I’m getting ready to paint and would love to have new trim to go with it.

·
Registered
1983 Red Mk2 M/T 7MGTE Swap, Bone stock M/T Black Mk2 1984, 1989 Red Mk3 A/T Turbo
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Updates soon, I haven't put much time into the trim yet since I've been trying to get my supra up and running first

·
Founding Member
6,590 Posts
I installed my last spare set of whiskers this summer so I decided to order another set to keep for spares. I first tried a couple of Japanese parts suppliers because one of them had them listed for $39 each (plus the shipping was going to be outrageous, but still cheaper than buying from Toyota). I got an email after a couple of days saying that they were on backorder. So I went to my local dealer and they said they could get them but $82/each. I kind of felt sorry for them as they had maybe ten cars on the lot total, when they'd normally have easily over 100. They must be having a hard time with so little inventory so I paid it, figuring I was helping out the local economy.

I don't know when these were last actually produced, how long they might have sat on a shelf in a warehouse, but I just picked them up today. So they are available still,..... for now.

I'll keep them in a closet inside the house where its air conditioned and in another fifteen years I'll be prepared to replace them again.

Just coincidentally, the parts counter guy, I'm guessing probably in his late 20s or early 30s, said his first car as a teenager was a well-used 82 Supra.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts