Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
3,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been promissing people for a while now that I'd post up pics... so here they are, sorry for the second pic, it's a little fuzzy.

notice, the clock sits a bit left in the window. this is due to the mounting of the H2O temp gauge. The display for the trip computer display is quite a bit larger than the orginal display.

As far as I can tell, the rest of the functions sit dead center in the window. This is the MPG function

A view of it with the driver control module installed and a partial of the MKIII steering wheel.

One of these days I'll do a write up on it.

To my knowledge, only 3 people have done this mod.

Mike

·
Registered
417 Posts
Good post. Doubt many have ever seen the factory trip computer. I have seen them. Since I use to work at the dealer back then. But I don't remember ever seeing them in the Supra's. This trip computer was mainly used in the Cressida's. I wish I could find one of these in a bone yard. I'd like to do the mod myself. When you get a chance. I'd like to hear more about the mod.

·
3,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dynamic73 said:
Good post. Doubt many have ever seen the factory trip computer. I have seen them. Since I use to work at the dealer back then. But I don't remember ever seeing them in the Supra's. This trip computer was mainly used in the Cressida's. I wish I could find one of these in a bone yard. I'd like to do the mod myself. When you get a chance. I'd like to hear more about the mod.
the trip computer, to the best of my knowledge, came with all digital dashes in most L-types (US spec and possibly the others too).

it's actually a seperate system from the dash cluster, You'll need to wire the 7 wires(ECU-B, Injector, etc) and it will work as intended by Toyota. This will NOT work with the 7M without mods to it. (the 7M wastes a spark, this system counts two instead of one and you always have 70MPG+)

I have the modified scematics here still and will scan, clean them up, and the post them with the write-up on the MASupras site when I have time.

A friend of mine in MD is working on digital gauges in the rear-view mirror amung other things.

I'll try to get that written up soon.

Mike

·
Registered
999 Posts
That is pretty cool, but has anybody got one of these?:

The neatest gadget of all, however, a Navicom computer-controlled electronic compass that graphically displays direction and distance to precoded destination, is for the Japanese home market only. We understand they can't produce enough Navicoms this year to offer them in export cars. Or maybe they figure we wouldn't understand it yet
http://www.celicasupra.com/images/PM2_11-81.jpg

·
3,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Emohawk said:
That is pretty cool, but has anybody got one of these?:

The neatest gadget of all, however, a Navicom computer-controlled electronic compass that graphically displays direction and distance to precoded destination, is for the Japanese home market only. We understand they can't produce enough Navicoms this year to offer them in export cars. Or maybe they figure we wouldn't understand it yet
http://www.celicasupra.com/images/PM2_11-81.jpg
If they were put in the MKII in Japan only, probably the only way to get one would be to get a front cut MKII. With the newest MKII being almost 18 years old, I find it highly unlikely that one could be found. Another thought, I'm not sure it would work in North America (assuming it was Very sophisticated for the time).

I'd think that one would be better off finding a component GPS system and integrating it and an electronic compass to the MKII. If you just want a compass, you can get an electronic compass from a Jeep or something and intigrate just that. Aftermarket electronic compasses (especially anything with flexability) are surprisingly hard to find.

My Mom has a 2002 Jeep Cher. Unlimited (yeah, the ones with the crap brakes), I'm still trying to talk her into letting me pull off some covers and seeing exacly what's involved with that system.... :evil: :mrgreen:

Mike

·
Registered
216 Posts
If you are talking about just the digital dash, then I have that. Personally I want to swap it out for an analog. I liked it for the first 2 months I had the car, but now I miss analog gauges.

Perhaps I'll do a swap, I think Norbie has done it before.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
thats sweeeet :)

hehe, one more project for the winter!

cressidas eh? and l types... well, ive never seen an l type in the bone yard i frequent, but theres TONS of optioned out cressys.

·
3,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
dogstar said:
thats sweeeet :)

hehe, one more project for the winter!

cressidas eh? and l types... well, ive never seen an l type in the bone yard i frequent, but theres TONS of optioned out cressys.
you'll need the instument cluster, control unit (behind the instument cluster) and the user control unit. after that it's just a wiring headache.

I'll try to get that write-up on the site soon.

Mike

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
thanks for the write up... still cant find a trip computer that hasnt been hacked up, but im sure theres one in town. :)

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Mike,

Thanks for the GREAT writeup...that took some time to put together. I'm going to bookmark your page. As soon as I can source the rest of this stuff, I'm going to give the install a shot. Just need to find an L-type at the wreckers with all the stuff in it.

I guess a nice keypad is as good a place to begin as any. Haha...thanks again!

·
Registered
792 Posts
I was planning on doing this very same swap when I found the trip computer on a junkyard vehicle last year. I grabbed the "keypad", but didn't have enough time to rip the dash out and grab the rest of the stuff. I decided to do some research on it when I got back, but at that time there wasn't enough info out on what was needed for the comp. to work. Most folks said I'd need a whole bunch of sensors for it to work, so I decided to just snap the keypad into the dash for looks.
If you do have a schematic and some pics of the swap, I'd love to get a copy of it Mike! I may just have to visit that Supra and grab whatever I'll need! I just hope someone's removed the pile of car parts inside the car so I can actually get to the dash! If I remember correctly, there was a ford tranny sittin' on the seat!!!

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
dogstar said:
...still cant find a trip computer that hasnt been hacked up, but im sure theres one in town.
Have you ever found one in Canada ?
If not, I guess they calculate by default in MPG... :(

·
Super Moderator
10,546 Posts
which is fine. I always figure out my milage in mpg. As much as I'd like to be all metric, we get so many american magazines up here the only milage numbers that mean anything to me are in mpg. What the hell is 8 liters per 100kms? It means nothing to me! :lol: I know 30mpg is good though.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
so?

if your reading an american magazine, theyre using US gallons...

and no, i have never found a keypad/trip computer in a candian car.

i was later told in these forums that the trip computer was not avaliable in canada, which i can believe, judging by the number of digidash cars ive looked at, and never seen hide nor hair of a trip comp :(

1 - 18 of 18 Posts