Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

201 - 220 of 260 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,031 Posts
Yeah I guess you have to use OEM bearings for this application. It might be good for William to update the original post to highlight this.

The 32010x overall thickness is 20mm but the OEM 90368-50006 is a few mm thicker. I'll get some measurements at work this week and post up results but at this point I'm 90% sure that's my problem.

This guy had the same issue albeit with the 45mm carrier instead of the 50mm.

Just a warning to people with LSD MA6x and MX7xs. Timken 17831 is NOT the correct bearing race for MX73 and MA6X supra IRS LSD diffs. The part that comes in them from Toyota is Timken part # 17831L which is NOT available through Timken, only Toyota. It's basically a mass custom ordered part specifically for Toyota. I spent 3 weeks last summer emailing back and forth with RockAuto and Timken figuring this out. Rockauto lists it as the correct part number for the side bearings for a 1985 Toyota Cressida but it's something like .120" (IIRC) too short. I ended up buying 2 sets of bearings when I rebuilt my diff because of this incorrect listing. I figured I should save some of you some time and money and let you know.

·
Registered
10,210 Posts
Yup, I ran into this issue with a standard diff rebuild on these cars a long time ago. As far as I know Toyota is the only source for the correct thickness bearings. Its actually just the outer race that's different. They have the L number stamped on them while the aftermarket ones don't. I've posted those bearing numbers elsewhere in this thread.

We used all Toyota bearings on DeanFun's TruTrack install with the 644, we were still way out on carrier clearance. If your install goes good than its safe to assume we did indeed get a "made on Friday afternoon special".

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
I used all Toyota bearings when I did my diff years ago, and had no clearance issues with the shims - I could get ones to make it fit no problem.

·
Registered
315 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
I just finished my TrueTrac conversion(thanks William for the excellent write-up) and needed thicker carrier shims to get the right backlash and pattern. Got them from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Yukon-SK-CCT7-5-SIDE-Carrier-Differential/dp/B0078UC058/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1416271352&sr=8-1&keywords=7.5'+toyota+shims
Damn, $50 for shims? I've got a 644 truetrac that I need to have done. I didn't read the whole thread... What's the consensus? Do I need these shims in addition to the Toyota bearings?

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Gentlemen,

Regarding shims, did anyone else have to have the shim ID's increased to fit the larger (50mm) bearings? I did, because the shims otherwise floated on top of the bearing races...

Carlos

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Damn, $50 for shims? I've got a 644 truetrac that I need to have done. I didn't read the whole thread... What's the consensus? Do I need these shims in addition to the Toyota bearings?

Rob,

its always a good idea to replace your shims whenever you rebuild a diff. Not only will you get an entire stack of incremental shims to set your preload and backlash just right, its nice to have clean and perfectly straight shims to deal with and get the most accurate readings possible. 50 bucks is a cheap investment in the grand scheme of things.

-Mike

·
Registered
342 Posts
Thanks Mike. Your right. I want to do it right the first time and never have to worry about it again.

·
Premium Member
4,031 Posts
Update for those who care...

Even with the new bearings, I'm going to have to make thicker shims (~.030in now) to get the backlash correct. It appears Seamus' issue is not an isolated event and the new 342/644 is NOT a direct replacement for the old 342. Lastly, $50 for shims was a drop in the bucket for this project.

·
Registered
10,210 Posts
Yup. Most everyone will need new shims if you've changed ring and pinion or if you install a new lsd case that varies in thickness at all from stock. You technically don't need thicker shims, you need to slide the carrier assembly left or right to set the backlash correctly, so one thicker, one thinner. The issue with the 644 trutrak is they shortened the damn case. Toyota didn't make shims thick enough to compensate for the difference, I seriously doubt the Yukon shims are any thicker then the thickest Toyota ones, and even if they were you need a lot more then a couple sizes up. Custom shims from a machine shop, cha ching!

·
Registered
10,210 Posts
Ah. That almost would have worked for us. The thickest Toyota one in the book is .127. We needed something about .132-0.136. With our stock shims, we were short .032 too.

And for anyone thinking they can run 2 thinned down shims per side, good luck with that. You would be hard pressed to find a machinist who can machine something down that thin. Their tooling has to have a way to clamp onto the part. Not saying its impossible, but for most it will be easier to just make a new shim like our guy did.

·
Registered
9 Posts
For anyone interested, I have a 911A565 RWD Truetrac for sale. I was going to put it in a MKI supra rear axle but had a change of plans. Its up for grabs. Had this for a while, brand new still in the box.

·
Registered
790 Posts
So I have a question about the carrier bearings. I'm getting ready to re do my 4:30 diff as it's out. I'm going to do the solid spacer and weir maxgrip kit. Just wanting to get things straight before I order all the bearings needed

the part # listed is 90368-50006

Everything I've looked up has # 90368-45002
Has 45002 been discontinued and 50006 what's being used as a replacement?

Also would it be a good idea to go ahead and replace the rear pinion (outer) bearing while I'm in there? 90366-30078-77

·
Registered
10,210 Posts
Looked up from where? I'm not sure anyone has found carrier bearings from a supplier other then toyota that has the correct outer races.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Looked up from where? I'm not sure anyone has found carrier bearings from a supplier other then toyota that has the correct outer races.
I checked a few online toyota parts dealers. The part # I kept getting online was 90368-45002 for the carrier bearings

The one listed in the guide on page one is 90368-50006. Just trying to make sure which one it is before I order everything

·
Registered
790 Posts
I checked a few online toyota parts dealers. The part # I kept getting online was 90368-45002 for the carrier bearings

The one listed in the guide on page one is 90368-50006. Just trying to make sure which one it is before I order everything
Anyone know for sure?

·
Registered
15,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #220
The carrier bearing part numbers listed in this thread are NOT for the stock LSD. They are for the truetrack, which has a larger inner diameter for the carrier bearings.

201 - 220 of 260 Posts