Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

21 - 40 of 260 Posts

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
i just finished doing this swap on my diff, a few notes from my experience:

if you are using the same gearset you removed, you can reuse the spacer washers from the pinion and gear side of the carrier

the spacer washer on the other side will probably need to be thinner, as the truetrac housings on average are a little wider than the stock LSD

the 'cap' on the carrier bearing race on the 'gear' side has a funny marking on the top of it, if you get them mixed up

USE NEW CRUSH WASHERS

if you are replacing the bearings, get a shop to take off the inner pinion bearing from the pinion shaft, the outer one comes off when you take out the pinion, and the carrier bearings are not reused - then put the new races in an ice bath with salt to cool them off (or put them in the deep freeze overnight) and they almost drop in with very little tapping required

follow the TSRM instructions for installing the pinion the first time (no slinger or spacer) and use some gear marking compound to check the contact area - if it checks out with all the spacer washers in place, you are good to go as far as backlash is concerned, and the checking distance should not be an issue, if you reuse the same gears and use the same pinion spacer washer

finally, you can use gear oil without friction modifier - like red line 75W90NS racing gear oil, or similar since the truetrac is a torsen unit and doesnt need any friction modifier

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
bbaacchhyy said:
Just got prices from the local Aussie Toyrota dealer as follows (prices are in Aussie bucks...)

toyota part numbers
90366-35023-77 inner pinion bearing $124.63
90368-50006 carrier bearing (2 required) $77.62
90311-38010 pinion seal $35.97
90311-38011 side seals(2 required) $27.48
41182-22011 cover gasket $15.52
41231-22010 crush sleeve $25.21
90179-18001 pinion nut $8.95

Willaim, how does that compare with the priices that you paid ? I will try and get better prices, but it all adds up to about USD $315 :shock:
Michael,

If Jeff can't ship international, I could pick them up for you and ship.

Ken

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
williamb82 said:
toyota part numbers
90366-35023-77 inner pinion bearing
90368-50006 carrier bearing (2 required)
90311-38010 pinion seal
90311-38011 side seals(2 required)
41182-22011 cover gasket
41231-22010 crush sleav
90179-18001 pinion nut

~$150 total

The $150.00 for the Toyota parts was list price - 25%. My cost at the time. The prices may very well have gone up since then. All parts are stock MKII diff. parts with the exception of the carrier bearings.

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
A few helpful hints:

1. Use a stock MKII diff. case that contains the desired gear set ratio that you want. The original diff. assembly has been machined for it's "original" gear set and the pinion shaft depth has been set accordingly at the factory. This will help reduce any possible need to have to adjust the pinion shaft depth.

2. You must use a matched ring and pinion gear set that has minimal wear and is otherwise suitable for reuse.

3. The inner pinion bearing must be replaced with the exact same new bearing in order to allow for using the same inner pinion bearing shim. This will keep the pinion shaft depth the same as it was before. (very important!)

4. You will most likely need a small assortment of carrier adjusting shims in order to achieve both the proper ring and pinion backlash and carrier bearing preload. You must get these two parameters dead on the money! (very important!)

5. The pinion shaft bearing preload changes rapidly once zero endplay is reached by tightening the pinion shaft nut. Use a long breaker bar on the pinion nut to provide plenty of leverage to crush the sleeve. Pinion bearing preload will increase rapidly with only small tightening increments once zero endplay is reached. If you go to far and preload the pinion bearings beyond spec., you'll need to start over with a new crush sleeve. Do not back off the nut to decrease the preload! (very important!)

6. Check the pinion shaft and ring gear for runout using a precision dial guage

7. Be sure to check the contact pattern of the ring and pinion gear teeth. Replacing the inner pinion bearing with an "exact" replacement and retaining the stock pinion shaft shim is very crucial for this step!

HTH! :)

·
Registered
15,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
the truetrac is a lsd unit. the gearing is up to you.

B

·
0 Posts
true trac part number
911A342

called reider racing and said that this is a front differential and that using it in the rear might void the warranty?

·
Registered
15,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
dont know if it voids the warrenty or not but thats the right one. its for the front of a toyota 4x4 truck with ifs and 7.5in diff. don lew has had the older style truetrac in his car for several years and autocrosses on it competivly and ive had mine the newer style for over a year with no problems.

B

·
0 Posts
the guy i talked to said it worked backwards or something which is why it might void the warranty, used some confusing rwd words that i didnt understand : /

btw william your mailbox is full :mofomad:

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
even if the toyota front IFS diff was reverse pinion (which it isnt), it wouldnt matter

the diff works the same both directions

B

·
0 Posts
and i saw some people getting it for 300 + ship i called and they said.... 350 + ship ?

·
Registered
15,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
yeah, the prices have gone up. its best to get it from rabid chimp. he can get you the diff and all the parts listed for the install as one package. also, i cleared my inbox.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hi This is my first post on this forum, i live in Norway so sorry about my english.

I just wondering where i can buy Tru-trac, the partnumber on this topic is that i Toyota number or do i have to buy it somwhere else? i boght the trd lsd from Altezza/is200, but i don`t think it`s gonna be strong enough for my 7mgte and 700hp

·
Registered
15,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
yes, the truetrac will fit the mki solid axle. and for toyparts. go to rabidchimp.com, he cn get you the truetrac and all the stuff needed to install it.

·
crashtest dummy
1,564 Posts
Beams3sgeKP61 said:
i'm thinking of installing the truetrac in my 79-81 supra solid axle 7.5 inch diff . can i use the replacement parts from the mk2 supra?
Like William said - it will work. I'm already using a stock MKII LSD in my '81 MKI but plan on getting the trutrac as well...

·
Registered
2 Posts
sarinas_dragons said:
Welcome. I'm sure others can reassure you about the lsd. Is the axle in the Starlet? I never finished mine and regret that. Mine was 86 GTS/Van bellhousing/W58/Hilux axle. What's yours like? Any pictures?
no the rear end is not on the car. i have to get it narrowed 2 inches per side. the guy can narrow the axles too and balance them. here's a pic of my old starlet with a 20 valve blacktop 4age and gts rear end.

the motor i'm going to put in (2000 Toyota Altezza 3sge BEAMS dual vvt-i with 6spd):

21 - 40 of 260 Posts