Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #61 (Edited)
To me it looks like a single point failure that strands you. If you're only concerned about long term parking I'd invest in a ctek charger. That thing is a life changer for me.
I'm not sure i understand - sure if it fails I'm stranded - but that's also the case with any battery. When that car does sit for the winter i still will put in on a batter tender of some kind.

There where a few goals to doing this, move some weight to the back, free up space under the hood in case a turbo motor ever comes into play, i'm now protected from parasitic battery drain if the car sits for short periods, its a very basic anti-theft device, it allowed me to clean up some old wiring that had been done poorly, and i liked the idea so figured why not :).

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Finally got back to doing stuff to the car. I installed a a 3 min delay timer on my battery disconnect switch, and that seemed to cure another issue i was having.

I was having a low idle issue at start-up, after checking all the vacuum and intake lines for leaks i started investigating the IAC valve, I came across a article that said you should hear your IAC valve click after you turn the engine off - but my battery disconnected as soon as you turn the key off. Now that the 3 min delay timer has been installed the low idle issue seems to have subsided.

I took it out for a drivee 3 differnt times and it seems to be running a lot better, to be fair the car sat for almost 2 years waiting on parts, so things could have been "stuck" but either way the car seems happier so ill take it.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Wait you're running a battery disconnect switch? That sounds pretty great, have you got any info on that?

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #65

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
That looks great to me honestly. So you just have that thing hard off when parked? I guess you manually key unlock, then let passengers in once you get in yourself. Not a bad tradeoff for never worrying about a dead battery. Funny you mention the timer delay, they have that as a recommended item when viewing the cutoff switch.

If you mount all the to a board you could probably squeeze in a tool bag with tire plugs, fix a flat, stuff like that. I just hate not having a spare tire :D

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
That looks great to me honestly. So you just have that thing hard off when parked? I guess you manually key unlock, then let passengers in once you get in yourself. Not a bad tradeoff for never worrying about a dead battery. Funny you mention the timer delay, they have that as a recommended item when viewing the cutoff switch.

If you mount all the to a board you could probably squeeze in a tool bag with tire plugs, fix a flat, stuff like that. I just hate not having a spare tire :D
Yes, after the 3 min the batter automatically disconnects and let yourself in then let passengers in - honestly i never thought about it as i dont leave it alone when I'm out so its alwasy unlocked.

The hardest part was trying to find a battery to fit in the spare tire well as there are few flat spots, and i was afraid that a board would not be strong enough to hold everything in place in the event of a accident - i dont really want a battery flying around the cabin. I also try to keep the permanent modifications to a minimum,
Honestly I have though about the lack of a space for a spare, but after i put the BBK on I don't have a spare anyway. If I'm ever able to make any long journey ill be loading it up with supplies and ill be sure to include fix-a-flat, a spare and a bunch of tools :)

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
After about 4 Weeks and multiple drives all the issues seem to have been resolved.
A 3 minute Delay time on my battery disconnect and a new O2 sensor and its running great.
Honestly without this forum i would have never found out that the IAC valve made adjustments after the car is turned off.
I spent the past few weekends just driving it arround and enjoying it for the first time in a long while.

Also, thanks to all who take time to post - an old thread saved me on this one, you never know when that information your posting will be useful to to others.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Cleaned up the Wiring a bit:

I used fleece tape to wrap the wires, it works great and keeps everything in order
Fleece Tape
Next is to make a new spacer for behind the battery, the shape of the spare tire well made mounting the battery there more work then i had anticipated.

small steps....

·
Premium Member
5,930 Posts
Never heard of fleece tape. I always use the split tubing, when I can.
slightly crippled, this week.
Dumb ass, me!

61 - 71 of 71 Posts