Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

21 - 40 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
10,225 Posts
Yeah, I cut the edge out completely. I added some extra material on the end of the Raptor bracket to put the strength back.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Awesome car, Love the rear end. When i saw your rear hatch spoiler, it made me think that, for cooling maybe look towards GROUP B rallying roof spoilers that cooled the rear end. You could hide the side profile with the spoiler and would collect a lot of air.

A mesh rear end would be quite cool between the rear lights as well :naughty: LOVE Lancia 037's!

·
Registered
283 Posts
I mounted the brackets down as low as I could to the very edge, I was worried about going past that. With where my car sits maxed out I'm at -1.4 roughly

Detailed pics at the bottom of this page
https://www.celicasupra.com/forums/showthread.php?61146-1985-P-type-6mge-rebuild-mods/page13
I had a look at your camber brackets, and you did get them LOOOW! Don't think you can improve on that really, so hows this for an idea... Make up some eccentric bushes. Lie these powerflex ones - For an idea...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Powerflex-Rear-Trailing-Arm-Bush-Eccentric-VAUXHALL-Cavalier-Mk3-4wd-GSI-IRS/12015380808?iid=312073751234&chn=ps

Either remake the bush, or bore it out and remake some Steel sleeves with an offset hole- Like these bmw E21 Rear semi trailing arm ones. Might actually fit!? haha. My welder mate Mark has been working on his BMW E21 next to my ma61 and noticed how similar the semi trailing arms were on both cars. Might be able to grab some measurements of the outer bush tubes.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172766305043&frcectupt=true

·
Registered
10,225 Posts
Except he didn't go that low actually.

This is low...

Should have welded it there (that's your pic btw, before welding). Now the issue becomes when you mount it that low, the inner mount is so tight you can't run poly bushings anymore. So we placed the outer mounts where we needed them, welded, then cut off the inner mounts and reclocked them to match perfectly with the camber bolt adjusted for the center. Worked perfectly, no binding, and almost perfect correction at 2.25 inchs lower then stock. I'm going to mount mine even lower on my black 86 as I'm at 2.65inchs lower and we bottomed out at .5 deg negative camber on Deanfun's car, which is perfect, but I won't be able to manage that without going lower. Extra bonus, we ended up with a better camber curve then stock too. Less toe change even.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
haha loove the 037 myself, group b is inspirational.. but dont like the look of scoops instead of rear side windows so will try to just have the spoiler
mounting up 100A alternator because electric everything

managed to get the supra lightwigth pulley to fit, orderd a new belt for it, 680mm, buying a turnbuckle to make adjustment

fitting my guages into the new wooden TA22 dash, faak i love theese analoge guages, propper old school vibe an soo easy to read quick

bad pics but yeah.. need a wilwood hanbrake (separat from rest of brakes, going dual calipers) to match the wilwood pedalbox

cut a E34 dash to use here, unsure if i want to cut the cage and relocate it or just relocate the brake and clutch fluid cups..? im not having them in the engine bay..

https://i.imgur.com/RDRHD09.jpg[/IMG
yes i have two s13 rear ends..time to swap in the one with skyline stuff
[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/g7huo6H.jpg

rear end in, need to paint the JIC Magic coilovers/springs... that purple does not match anything

running without rear bumber, will look evil from rear

cant wait till i finish all interior and fuel system so i can paint the body everywhere and red cage/tube frames :D

clean up in shop and put hood back on, need to finish the hood/sthrengthen it and make some hood latches.. and paint it...
and i feeel the car need a little something in the white front... its too white so i need something to contrast

·
Registered
10,225 Posts
Super awesome!

But that crank pulley, that looks like one of those old undampened ones peeps were selling for awhile. You don't want that, you need a fully dampened crank pully to keep your motor together over the long haul. The only option I know of for a lighter then stock dampened one is the Fluidamper. I have one on my 6m actually, they're not bad, but super pricey.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #28

haha so what your saying SupraFriend is that this pulley is not good for the balance of my engine? i got my engine without the pulley and just got one on ebay haha, ill get a stock one instead then? :D i dont care about the weigth, but i thougth this looked good...

currently got enough to do.. welding rust in my HJ60 frame and hoping to sandblast and paint the frame this weekend, and picking up a beams and J160 for the drift 86 over xmas, and the road 86 needs inspection to stay road legal.. hard to chose what to use money and time on haha

"new" tires for my curiser.. not cheap

want this thing to be bullet proof when done, its got ARB air lockers, OME heavy duty springs and shocks, stock winch with a axle from the gearbox powering it, 4 liter diesel going turbo, bodylift and now its got 38,5x15-15 boggers

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
haha, ill try to find a fluiddamper then :D thanks alot! this is what forums are for! never even heard of those things haha

not much progress but test fitting windscreen and out for a photoshoot in the sun

trying to figure out a nice axhaust not sure this if is it..

·
Registered
225 Posts
Looks amazing. Saw it on instagram too along with a couple of your other projects. Crazy work fitting that rear suspension back there

Maybe you could paint the grill surround back to stock black and see if it breaks up the sea of white on the front. I love the current paint scheme otherwise.

·
Registered
10,225 Posts
Are you going to fill up those rear arches with more tire?

About the crank damper, it doesn't have to be a fluidamper\ati etc, stock is just as good for vibrations if you are not trying to save weight (honestly, the rotational losses are negligible, my butt dyno could barely feel any difference between the fluidamper and stock on my 6m). However, I know the factory 1jz crank damper at least is notorious for separating and failing, sometimes spectacularly, when they get really old. I think the 2jz ones are better, not sure. I've never had a 5m/6m/7m one fail on me (though I have heard of people here whose did).

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Yes the inital plan was to paint it black but i liked it when it was white, i got a spare bumper that ill paint black and see what i like the best :)

yes, will space out the tires a bit and get some fatter rears, only threw on what i had laying arround the garage half a year ago to get it rolling :p i think its 195 on 9" tire haha need wider for sure

hmm could i maybe use a 5M or 7M damper/pulley? i have a friend with a spare 5 and 7... my pulley is missing because its borken, thats why i got the ebay one hehe

trying to figure out the water system
chopped the top outlet and tigged it on downwards, i think ill add a screw on the top to get air out of the system when bleeding, was temting to make it point backwards but alot of work and now i have much space for air filter instead of having the water run there and a nice place to bleed the system at the front

had a mr2 filler neck in the shop, perfect, a small braket later and its mounted, now i just need new radiator hoses and a trd cap

hmm nice i think this will work.. need to get more welding gas and fully when my scroud/wall

water pump on the bottom one, filler on the top, now i need a expantion tank that looks good and is cheap haha
also need to mount the water pipes neat, ill have to think a bit before deciding, looks sooo messy when its not attached to something and just hanging like its now

time and money is limited, not sure what to do now, i can either finish my beams swap ae86 before spring or try to finish the supra, i cant afford to finish both before spring :(

been installing a bullet proof Volvo 240 axle (Dana diffs fits lol) into my 86 and want to go standalone and itbs
volvo is 5 bolts so yeah, a bit work to make it fit 86.. chop off all mounts and make a jig aswell...

fits neatly

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #36

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
They actually have the exact same problem in this video and go over how the JZ pulleys fail over time and need replaced. This was the case with mine as well.

·
Registered
790 Posts
When I got my junkyard 2j from a gs300 it had already started to separate and was rubbing into the plastic timing cover. Definitly would want to replace it. I'm running the drift motion lightweight kit.

It actually looks really close to the one you have on there...lol. Solid undampened crank pulley, I don't remember if I got an under drive pulley or standard size. I got the swap running and have been driving it since late 15', ran 4 drift days last year. No issues so far, motor was rebuilt at the same time.

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
I've seen several sellers with identical lightweight pulleys, I'm sure they all come from the same factory.
I put the Driftmotion kit on mine as well, except for the crank pulley. I had to change the water pump pulley. An OEM one was like $90 and the whole Driftmotion 3 pack was I think $60.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I've seen several sellers with identical lightweight pulleys, I'm sure they all come from the same factory.
I put the Driftmotion kit on mine as well, except for the crank pulley. I had to change the water pump pulley. An OEM one was like $90 and the whole Driftmotion 3 pack was I think $60.
You're probably right, i wouldn't doubt it with how things are made these days. I needed to replace mine as the OEM had seperated anyway and didn't feel like spending 2-300 on an ati or something. Idk how much I trust that $40 oem replacement, but it's a good find.

I read a lot of mixed reviews and experiences about undampened pulleys before I ordered mine. Some say it's fine, some say it'll rattle an older motor apart, just all over the place. Since I was rebuilding I decided to go for it.

Rally, the car is looking sick. Keep it up. I'm digging the 86 you have as well!

21 - 40 of 99 Posts