Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so, other than a mention in this thread http://forums.celicasupra.com/showthread.php?t=54689 has anyone ever heard of a 4m-e being turboed?

i am getting an old 4m-e that needs a rebuild desperately and i was thinking about going turbo on it. maybe just a 5 psi shot. or so. low pressure high compression type of thing.

discuss at your leisure. ideas, etc, things that may be problems, things that may be a gift due to old tech, etc.

thanks.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well, years ago we had a plan for my old '79 to see how much power we could make for free. we never got around to doing it, but now i have an opportunity to screw with what is basically a junk engine without touching the stock engine in the car right now.

basically, turbo would be free and in stock. intercooler is free and in stock, piping, free and in stock.

is there anyplace i can get an exhaust manifold flange? then i could just make my own log type manifold for the turbo.

basically no budget. now i know exactly what you're gonna say. i've said it many times before to other people, any mods will cost money. i'm thinking this will more than likely become an academic exercise. so lets not worry about budget right now. lets discuss how things could work, for example, the 4m-e uses a vacuum advance, correct? so if it started feeling pressure, would it retard or just go to whatever the base is set to?

i know that the vane air meter can compensate for some extra air coming in.

lets discuss these things further.

should this actually be in the tuning or technical section, or stay here since it is mk1 specific?

·
Premium Member
5,600 Posts
Did you see this before? There are some more old threads out there if you search. Keegan Vanderlaag had a turbo mark one.

I've had a couple '81s in the past and just went 5mge with '82 vacuum advance dizzy.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Did you see this before?

non intercooled turbo FTL :zzzzz: im gonna keep lurking cause i would also like to turdbo my mk1 and i heard something bout a aftermarket elec advance that fits this in the edlebrock catalog ill have to look again.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Every time this subject comes up, it makes me miss my MkI.

However, if I had any recommendation to someone looking to build a MkI, it would be to do anything OTHER than use the Stock 4M/5M-E. They're just not good motors compared to the alternatives.

A nice 7M-GTE in stock trim, making REASONABLE power (200rwhp is tons for a MkI, in my opinion) is a much better option. Remember, my 5M-E blew up under boost just because the car got hit - something hiccuped, and it was enough to melt three of the pistons. Obviously, if you manage fuel responsibly, this is less of a problem, but at that point, you're a significant amount of work into a conversion that nets much less gain.

Even a 5M-GTE with reasonable fuel management would be a much better option. The 4M-E/5M-E are just not particularly good motors for modifying.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Take an exhaust gasket, trace it, and find some plate, some hole saws, and get to work. Oh and keep us updated with pictures !

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did you see this before? There are some more old threads out there if you search. Keegan Vanderlaag had a turbo mark one.

I've had a couple '81s in the past and just went 5mge with '82 vacuum advance dizzy.
no, i hadn't seen that, which surprises me since i thought i had actually browsed through the entire mk1 section here.

yeah i know the 4/5m-e isn't the best engine in the world to try and mod. i found that out about 19 years ago when trying to find mods for my first supra.

however, i have a spare engine that is probably junk anyway and nothing better to do with my time.

this whole thing makes me laugh though. as i look at the questions i type and see that they are almost verbatim the same as questions asked by newbs on the merkur forums. that's easy though, throw in a t-bird ecu, front mount intercooler, set timing to 10*, 3" exhaust and set boost to 20 psi and you're looking at around 250 horses and a bit more torque.

maybe it's just because i've been home sick for the entire week and i'm starting to get bored and my mind is wandering. :32:

·
Registered
218 Posts
well my turbo 4-me project has officially started i just dropped off my block to the machine shop tonight at 10:00. now i just need a good stand alone unless anyone has any recommendations, i only plan on running like 5-10 psi and im obviously going to innercool it i also havent got a ar number i like for the turbo yet im gonna port the rest of my spare head and try to get some good flow numbers and work my ar off those.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Megasquirt, EDIS, VR Sensor on your crank with a generic 36-1... Good luck and you will quickly exceed the flow of stock injectors on a turbo motor, so be careful.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Hi All, Here is an immaculate example of a 4MT-EU build, that was on Toymods a while ago, using parts from an MT-EU, i am hoping to do the same with my 4M to make it look period
[/IMG]

·
Premium Member
5,600 Posts
Wow! Talking old school there.

·
Boost-a-holic
2,560 Posts
Good luck. Will be watching for pictures of the fireworks display ;)

:eatcorn:

Now, I'm by no means as much of an expert as a lot of the motorheads on this forum, but my guess is you're going to have some trouble finding parts that will reliably handle boost, in an old motor that wasn't designed for it.

If I were you, I'd swap in a 7M-GTE.

·
Registered
218 Posts
ha ha not to handle boost they came boosted in japan and 4-me's have forged internals, that actually saves a lot of $$ i got forged for mine and then found out that they have a forged bottom end and they are balanced to the only thing that brings me worries in the boosting is the fuel management, i cant seem to get any consistent flow numbers off any of my 18 injectors i have :32: but being that they are Bosch based i should be able to find some that work and my other thought was to run 2 complete fuel systems and hopefully keep it in the rich :new_uklia any thoughts on the twin system would be welcome i am currently looking at a megasquirt system though and found one that i can make work.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Hi, By memories he had fuel issues, i think a rising rate fuel pressure regulator was used to deliver more fuel when it came on boost.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
oldmate,
Do you have any way to get the MTEU components? They never imported that version to the US.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Turbo 4-me

kdsii you dont want a turbo 4-me do you? lol ooh and oldmate i second that question any way to get MTEU stuff. also any more pics of that 4-me build i cant find any on toyomods for some reason.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
A period correct turbo 4ME? In a heartbeat :)

·
Registered
429 Posts
4mt-eu build

Hi Guys, here is another angle, This type of build is very rare, as alot of people go for the JZ motor option.Obviously if you were to do this build, your definatley not looking for huge power!!:32:, but more the period factory look.
The Mt-eu motor is quickly becoming very rare:sadsmilie.These motors can still be found in the MZ10 Soarer.Usally this model soarer ends up in the hands of some young driver that got the car cheap, and is looking for HUGE power, but by the time they have destroyed it, they were dissapoint with it 1988cc power output, and look for a JZ motor or another car.The turbo and manifolds on these engines are smaller than a ct26 set-up, so bolting a ct26 turbo and manifold and up sizing the injectors, is a qiuck mod to do, and would run better:thumbsup::salute:, if you wont some close up pics of a stock Mteu, just let me know, as i have one, cheers.
[/IMG]

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I would so love to hear that motor in action! Do you have any video's? Do you have any dyno #'s or even 0-60 or 1/4 mile #'s? :eek4dance:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts