Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
61 - 80 of 83 Posts
Discussion starter · #61 ·
Is that a rear sump oil pan?
I'm using a Canton front sump-I've sectioned and boxed my X member and the pan sits below the original X member, and my engine is only a few inches off the fire wall. if the engine was higher and farther forward the Canton pan would be easy to fit.
Sorry I cannot give advice on the 90 degree fittings-if you find some let us know.
Yah just no way for it to run a front sump with the radiator setup. Going to but a few fittings and try them out.

Don't really know if this helps, but Auto Air and Axle here in San Antonio has a huge selection of an fittings and such. They also make custom pipes and hoses, and help people with crazy projects. I have no idea if they have a website, but their # is 210 223-2300.
Thanks man. Did some measuring for my pressure hose and going to drop by a local store that is the same.

So did measuring tonight between the previously pressure hose and just need to take it to a local place to merge the two to the correct length. While trying to utilize everything I possibly could from the previous build, looking for some feedback on the return side. Would shorten the hose but want to see what everyone thought for how this was routed. Would save like $15-20 on a 180 degree fitting.

Don't think it will be an issue since the return side does not see a lot of pressure.

Next was looking for where to mount the transmission cooler that came with the glide I bought. It is roughly 2" X 7.5" X 13" (including mounting tabs). Figured I could utilize it and just shorten the lines. Only issue is with how the intercooler is up front, no real room for it. Was planning on mounting it underneath but not a whole lot of depth. Either can do it dead center where these two heat shields are, need one for tranny cooler and one for the oil cooler. Or in-between the "frame" and rocker. Below are the two locations. If I go with the rocker, would have to do like a hole saw drill through for the cooler lines, not a huge concern. Only with either is air flow. Was thinking a fan on each, but that is adding depth.

Discussion starter · #63 ·
No real updates. Started putting in overflow tank, catch can, washer reservoir, heater hoses, heater valve, made custom radiator hoses, ordered some silicone couplers for the throttle body, intercooler and turbo inlet/to intercooler. Sold off the BOV and the wastegate. Was looking at how I was going to properly place the wastegate then dump the outlet and it was just not going to work out. The physical size of it was absurd. Going to go with two 38mm coming off of each side so it will be smaller and easier to place. Need to take my pressure ps steering line to get made. Luckily found a shop locally that specializes in aftermarket ps items so maybe they will have a solution for the fitting on the steering rack that is in front of my oil pan. The banjo fitting was really bulky and only way for it to fit would be to cut some of the rack and clearance the oil pan. I want some clearance so if it ever goes bad I wouldn't have to remove/lift the engine to change it. I still haven't done anything with the fusebox and extending the harness. It is still all hanging there. Very frustrating as I thought it was my solder iron so purchased a new one and still not getting the wire hot where I can press the solder to it and it melt where it provides the connection. Once this is done then I will move the car to a buddies shop for him to build the turbo kit. Below is how the car sits currently. A little bit of a mess, but we had a bad ice storm and have no desire to get out in the garage despite having a garage heater. Below is how she currently sits.

I lol'd at all the v8 vs I6 bantering, sooo typical. You've got a great build and the fab works great, its no easy tasking doing such a big swap kudos to you! Its a shame such a minty low mile unit is getting modded to the point it can no longer be switched back but hey she's your baby! :thumbsup:
I do say tho that is one sexy glorified air compressor in your engine bay
As much as I hate hate hate v8's and being an american v8 taboot the ls's are the only way to go if your going american made and there gorgeous looking engines as well. The main reason I hate v8's is because of the american muscle scene (pure arrogance) and every ones doing the v8 swap its just so main stream and over done. I find those who do more with less to be far more admirable. True car people respect the vehicle regardless of where its made or how many cylinders its got, its past the point of stupidity already.

" Its a shame such a minty low mile unit is getting modded to the point it can no longer be switched back but hey she's your baby!.."

The car was already modded back in the 80's with a Corvette rear end and a V6 engine; he's just taking those mods to a new useful level!

for the return line on the power steering, instead of the screw clamp, buy one of these fittings for the metal line so you can use a real -AN hose end that wont pop off under pressure. i posted for 3/8ths tubing(guess) but they have them for different tubing sizes.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-2200077/overview/

ive used these on the 6an fuel line i ran tot he front, which will now be my fuel return as the feed will be a 10an when the 2j goes in.

First time i've been to the v8 section. I F@ckin love it! Makes me look forward to the day that the 6m gives out and I just happen to have a few grand put up for a northstar v8 swap. Gives me evil ideas, i have a running donor sitting in my yard. :) Thank you sir for listing this project on here and giving me an evil scheme for mine. If that LS block will go in there then a little 250hp 4.0 32v should too right?

First time i've been to the v8 section. I F@ckin love it! Makes me look forward to the day that the 6m gives out and I just happen to have a few grand put up for a northstar v8 swap. Gives me evil ideas, i have a running donor sitting in my yard. :) Thank you sir for listing this project on here and giving me an evil scheme for mine. If that LS block will go in there then a little 250hp 4.0 32v should too right?
Trade that northstar donor for a lexus with a 1uzfe which is also a 250hp 4L 32v motor but meant for rwd, and has documented swaps already. Northstars can be made rwd if you really want, but they are a bit larger than ls1's which are also already rwd. /threadjack

Discussion starter · #73 ·
lol its all good on the thread jack. there hasn't been many updates. Need to take some photos and I can make some updates.

But for the northstar, they are huge. The cadillac xlr's have them and are rwd. Wanted one a couple years back until I found out the northstar was in it.

no worries man i know how v8 swaps go. i've had a 302 bolted in my fb for years, literally. i bought it already bolted in and the oil pump was seized, so i pulled it and replaced that, and now life has been getting in the way of me finishing it... i vow to never pull the supra off the road unless i have all parts on hand, and a time frame in mind haha

I haven't been on this site in forever but I finally got my 84 back to my shop where I can start working on it. I want to do something kinda similar and saw you are out of Fort Worth. Any chance I could come check this bad boy out sometime and pick your brain for a little bit?

Discussion starter · #76 ·
I haven't been on this site in forever but I finally got my 84 back to my shop where I can start working on it. I want to do something kinda similar and saw you are out of Fort Worth. Any chance I could come check this bad boy out sometime and pick your brain for a little bit?
Yeah I am sure we can figure something out.

As for progress, im lazy as hell. Made the lines for the oil cooler. Had to reorder some different -10 fittings to get the right angle. Then the same for the tranny cooler to fit just right. The coolers are Derale Hyper Cool units and each measure 10" x 13" x 5.625". They are 8" fans and flow 500cfm. Figure that should be overkill deluxe. I know biggest issue with automatic transmissions is cooling. I wanted it symmetrical the best I could. Probably could have saved money, but at this point its a wash. The coolers do sit low where you would be able to see them if standing far enough back, though they are level with the transmission pan. I also plan to have a taller tire in the rear where I would not be that concerned with catching things on it.

Discussion starter · #77 · (Edited)
Terribly slow at updating. Been traveling a lot for work. Ended up buying a welder to build the turbo kit but haven't had a whole lot of time to fab.
Pretty much once the turbo kit is done then I can pull engine and tranny to paint the bay and undercarriage, modify oil pan, then final install. I'd love it to be done sooner then later but time is scarce.

I'd like to see this thing again sometime. I got to crawl around it many moons ago when it was sitting in a warehouse near downtown Dallas surrounded by a bunch of other custom and collector cars and antique military vehicles - a very eclectic collection.

Progress is progress, what sort of welder did you go with?

Sounds about like the right kind of collection for Dallas. I'm looking forward to this thing being done so i can see it at some point. If there is ever a DFW meet with a few cars i've got family to stay with if i head that way ;)

61 - 80 of 83 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.