Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

twisted 1uz

15K views 32 replies 17 participants last post by  SupraFiend 
#1 ·
i know this is not a celica supra, but it is very very close , it is a ta63 carina 4 door. this model came out with a 3tgte w55 and a f series lsd. I have had this dream of building a v8 carina for years, and i started saving and buying little bits here and there for a few years until . . . the beginning of the this year. now i have finally started my conversion .

i have been coming here for information and for inspiration as allot of you guys have done such good jobs and allot of the ideas will work on my car too seeing as it has the same floor. i will be doing the rear coil over suspension at a later date , thank you all for you debating as its helped me make up my mind on that one : )

I am all the way over in new Zealand , we drive on the other side of the road here so some shit will look funny to you guys .( booster is on the right etc hahaha)

any way check it out , this is my build up to last week

Have got my mounts tacked in place
I am using 8mm plate and will be hitting them with the welder once i test fit the motor, want to make sure its sitting in the right place before i demo it with the welder and make it imposable to get off .

so the best part about my work is that we have a little sand blaster : )

so did this today, looking good, hopefully they will do the trick , they cleaned up like new , am assembling the brakes and front shocks etc. all the kind of stuff i can take to work and do in down time.

only a few days for the paint to dry now hahahhaha

Cross member finished and light paint to stop rust until i can get it coated

And brakes almost done just looking into coil overs before i paint the shock tubes to finish of the front suspension/struts. Just a bit of a before and after pic to show how awesome the sand blaster is for cleaning up brakes. Oh and for all the Toyota people out there i found out today that the front wheel bearing are the same as trojan trailer bearing . so they are dirt cheap the seals cost more than the bearing.

So needed a bench and heaps of stuff for building stuff. I.e. bench grinder cut off saw, vice, drill press, sheet metal folder
Long story short have made a sheet metal folder, and sold and bought allot of stuff to pay for the list of things i needed.

These are the coil overs so far . Hope to be making some nrca's soon to help out the lower arm once installed. Pictures speak for themselves i think
Paint them next and fit the new brakes. Then install.

will finish the fit up and put up pictures also .

i hate waiting for paint to dry. . . so i put the brakes togeather.
hope to put the lot togeather tomorow . feels like its taken for ever to get to this stage

so been awhile , some maggot of a person stole my phone and then my awesome Toyota corolla daily driver wagon got hit so have had allot of my time wasted making police reports and fighting with insurance over the phone etc. so haven’t been able to do a update cause i didn’t have my phone to take the pictures with , finally got a new phone so can do a bit of a update

anyway. . . borrowed a good mates wheels to check what kind of dish i can look into getting , and also so i could set up the adjustable’s to see how low they go .

9 on the back lots of room for more offset these are 15

8 and a half on the front , 15 offset too

i also got some camber plates but they aren’t going to work with how i have set up the top hats , will look into that a bit later . and the nrca's are being made tomorrow so should have a trial one to fit for the weekend .

so i needed to start welding up something cause i was getting restless and needed to play with some molten steel . . . this took me all of a hour.

will start or the rest of the rust later on in the week

so been ages since i made an up date, had a bit of time off work with a injury so couldn’t work on the car for a week which sucks cause when your home and there is heaps to do but you cant do it it drives you nuts.

had to get my shocks shortened a little to help keep the springs captive and get the ride height correct, this means i had to take out the 20mm spacer and re cut the tubes . didn’t take long to rework the tubes . and it was worth doing it , very happy with the outcome .

this is set at 70mm chassis to the ground , will go another 30mm lower (aprox haven’t wound it down as i need to roll the guards ) . max height measures out to be 120mm chassis to ground, haven’t wound it up max yet so this is just a rough measurement .
so when i get my wheels they should lift it up a bit so should all work out sweet.

also started some of the rust repairs
this is what i cut out of the front pillar only needs a little patch it had only just broken through the top layer which is good because it means that the sill isn’t fu*#ed also the water channels and the lower section of the quarter panels are all sweeeeeeet. The boot has the most of the rust, around the tail lights and boot latch, bugger all in the windscreen which is good, this must have been looked after very well : )

rust repair

there isn’t much more rust to do , bit unsure about what to do on the front wind screen as its full of pitting but not sure if bad enough to warrant cutting out and patching / or if it’s a job for rust kill and some magical sealant type repair.

fuel line next issuse to sort out, then on to wiring .

haven’t got much done lately, pulled the car apart even more removed whole driveline and started to do piping . as below

ended up damaging the hard-line later on and had to remove it, no way was i going to go through that crap bending it all up again . so went out and got braded hose . Was a total bastard. Anyway . . .

Am going to fit the new pump in old cradle , tank is very well baffled from factory. Should work out nice and simple setup

See less See more
#4 ·

It may not be a Celica-Supra but I'll still look at it, looks like an awesome build! After a recent trip to the drag strip I'm a huge fan of packing big motors in small cars. Good luck with it!

#6 ·
hey guys, yeah i got this video me and the boys made on the first weekend of working on the car, hit it hard got it striped , engine box dash and all wiring whole front end striped in 2 days , made with a camera set to take pictures every 30 seconds decided to do the whole build like this but turned out very hard to edit and even harder to make work as would have needed about 5 cameras to make it all worth the effort so after making this video i scraped the idea and just started taking pictures.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1YC2UQa8Dg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Rolled in as a normal car that was on the road and was very drivable.

#11 ·
hey , na it’s from a nz company called nite parts, the only thing to mention is that you need to get hex head bolts cause you cant fit a spanner around the bolts even the 14mm bolts as they are so close the bell .and the clutch kit is an exedy kit , i think its this one
http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/toyota/clutches/auction-480209710.htm

i haven’t driven on it yet, and i can’t comment on the feel yet as i am yet to make up clutch line, that is one of the next things to do once i have finished doing the fuel system . . . have to do it all in a specific order so i can make shields later, and before i build the exhaust so i know what clearances i will have . Bit of a fun game pulling the motor in and out, taking time to try and measure it all is a bit of an art to say the least . Then when you pull it all out there is nothing to gauge your measurements from. So far I have just been concentrating on one thing at a time, trial and error with fitting then move onto the next thing. Its probably not the fastest or easiest but it means I can slowly put it together bit by bit and know that nothing is going to overlap or be a fuckup later on.

i just went out today and got fittings and hose and fuel filter . So bank is dry for a few more weeks, next item to buy is the fuel pump and looking into a ez2wire 22 wiring kit, haven’t made up my mind on that just yet because there is so many different ones to choose from and so many different brands at different prices himmmmm

#14 ·
so the hard line got damaged so out it went, and then these al arrived, this will sort out the engine to the tank, still need a bunch more for inside the tank

Fuel pump situation, not finished as i am waiting for the cradle to come back. It’s getting coated so it won’t rust in the tank. Electro plating is cool shit .

Also had to get some custom Teflon washers made to insulate and seal my power supply to the pump, will post up pictures later when I get it back and finish assembling it .

all of this is so i can fit larger fittings and power supply to the pump that is almost twice the size of the factory pump . More pictures to come : )

and finaly finished my NRCA's here they are

next moved onto rear suspension, couldn’t work out a easy way to make it adjustable so bought some random coilovers . They are so so close, but at the same time so so far away,
i am currently cutting out the shock mounts and will be welding in some pipe, capping it and making top hats for the shocks. then support and bridge each tower with box section to stop any possible flex in the body.

bit more body work too . love this welder it makes life so easy.

so been very busy, found that the suspension i bought is not going to work, it all ended up wrong so sold it on.
also changed jobs and that in its self has had a huge impact on how much work i have been doing in the garage.

but any way here is some pictures of shit .

heater set up so far, corona tap. modified to use my heater cable .

started wiring engine and stuff, with the aim of getting it running this year if i can, so far this is going to be just a full dry fit out

ignitor block

and starting to finish the fuel pump

these are the Teflon washers i had made to allow a seal and a bolt to power and earth the pump

#15 ·
been ages since i did a update, not a lot done recently. hate wiring shit , it sucks !

so had some r and d going on. Couldn’t keep ignitors in the engine bay , also couldn’t keep ecu on drivers side as my fuse box is much more suited to that side.

last few months have been a lot of back in forth , lots of thinking and lots of compromise. i am trying to keep the cars as functional as possible i would like to be able to drive it every day if i choose ,so things like heater, fan and radio are important to me .
i modified the ac condenser box to hold the ecu and relays ,and still keep it functional for the blower motor .

i also got this from trademe and got some j cars pliers to make the correct crimp, all i can say is that these are amazing, professional quality job, nice and easy to do a good job with out stupid bullet connectors and having to label every wire if you ever need to remove or work on the car.

I am planning on building my own exhaust; everything is a first for me, very steep learning curve. Any way i bought a new tig welder, so that meant i had to modify my welding trolley!! Love building shit like this, no measuring or anything just raw engineering. Came out quite well. I quite Like the version 2.0 .

so since that went so well I decided to make a radio stand so I could get the radio of the floor and to a better height
it is so much better at ear height . should have done this little job ages ago .
Turns out its way over kill , I can do pull ups of it . and i am 90 kgs ha ha h a.

so turns out that the special super charger adapter i bought already fitted to the charger was installed backwards !!!!! *(^&^&%&^%&$^$%#$#% !!!!! . . . had to cut the bugger of .
very carefully with a 1mm cutting disk on the grinder, i am rather impressed with myself hardly touched the charger its self , this was a intense cut as you can image

this has turned into a drama as its a interference fit , so the new hub that me and a good friend are building has to be exactly right 0.01 to small and it will slip.
version 1.0 went well but unfortunately upon instillation i snapped the press tool, so now we have to manufacture and new threaded instillation tool and remover the broken bit from the end of the charger. but on the plus side the pulley looks great .

modifyed sway bar mounts to fit a ae86 sway bar , its the same thickness as my origonal sway bar but it clears the sump YAY!!

and that is about it till i wouk out pipe thickness and start making exhaust .

#16 ·
got into the machine shop and used and end mill to cut a line in the snapped bolt, luckily we managed to unscrew it with a screwdriver!!! hell yeah !!!

Then onto making a new hub to offset the pulley into the correct position, got it home and onto the engine, fits great ! just need to get some more counter sunk screws and its done

big thanks to luke at timely tools for giving up your weekend to help me out, have done a great job .

#17 ·
so have been a bit busy, finally paid of my debt so now I can spend up large on the project yay!!!!

started of with some little jobs that I have been meaning to do for awhile ,

made a sweet little guard for the lowest part of the fuel system, doesn't need it but I felt like making some shit

started making some headers, I have never made them before so I thought it would be hard as ,, but it was actually easy .I know they are not tuned to length, and I did spend a lot of time trying to imagine a way of doing this but at the end of the day I am not looking for maximum power just need to get the exhaust gas out of the engine !

I really enjoyed making these. and I cant wait for the next exhaust system project . I think if I had the time I could make these much better , but they will be fine for what I need

pasanger side

drivers side

ran out of gas ,so haven't finished welding yet . well that's enough for now, back to the garage !

#19 ·
Monster update , i have been neglecting my updates

MONSTER UPDATE , I HAVE BEEN NEGLECTING MY UPDATES , HERE IS ALL OF THEM. CONSIDER YOUR SELF UPDATED HAHAHAHAHA

so yet again I have changed jobs, worked out that I was over fixing other people cars. and even thought I up skilled I just couldn't get the pay I wanted. so I have jumped in the deep end and now I am an apprentice cnc machinist/tool maker. back to the bottom of the pecking order once again.

ANYWAY. . . . so couldn't move around in the garage, needed to re decorat
Started by making a dedicated metal working station, something that I could bolt everything to so they stop moving around when loading up.
couple hours later I had this bad boy

Then the move around , shit is much better this way !!
So cool to have my tools at home, fuck yeah!

So got some gas and continued making exhaust. . .

And had to bend up some ten mm rod for hangers, I couldn't get my hands on a gas set, so I managed to borrow and old school torch. this thing is so bad as that I went and bought my self-one for any time I need some heat!!!
it got the rod to cheery red, so not quite white hot, but hot enough to bend and easily manipulate. this is a paraffin burner, or as we call them in new Zealand kerosene torch.

I made some washers on the lathe at work, slid them on . Then I made a pinching tool so I could heat up and form the ends of the rod so that the rubbers won’t fall off . It was all really good fun , never formed anything before so this was a sweet thing to learn how to do .

And since that is all done I decided to plug up some of the extra cooling system barbs that I won’t be using .
So it took this amount of fucking around to drill out the old fittings and tap them for a 1/8 bspt plug.

I did a couple more but you get the idea, this was hard because nothing is flat or straight to drill and tap.
I also decided to mill up the original idle air control valve, got rid of the cooling barbs on this too, this is what it looked like originally

and now this is my adapter plate , milled and new tinny air filter, IAC completed !

with that all done I decided to move back to suspension and wheels .
I worked out that the spring rates from the Honda springs are up the shit, and they are not heavy enough. and if I cut them any smaller they need keeper springs. So I borrowed some siliva suspension, and I made some rough template spring hats, my idea was to move the spring down so that the top mount could be narrower to make it fit into the rear shock mount. well long story short it all didn't work , really fucked me off . I got so fed up with trying to design and make suspension work that I threw in the towel and bought some mx73 bc's. so now I am waiting for them to arrive.

since I couldn't get them right away I thought I would tape on the flares so I could start looking at rims, borrowed my good mates wheels again for measuring .

8 inch on the front

9 inch on the rear

and still got a lot to fill. looks like I will be buying some custom wheels ! my pockets are hurting already and I haven't even found out the price for them yet

so back into the panel work , I like to chop and change up the order of things , I find it helps to keep me motivated . each time I put more bits on and it starts looking more like a car again it make me want to get fuck loads done. so with that in mind I decided to have a go at some panel work and see if I could tackle the bonnet and guard work .

start with a celica supra xx bonnet,attack with grinder heaps , then try and fil the holes your just made

and well only after looking at this from the computer did i realize that the carina knows its going to be a death machine, and its prepared with its own coffin bonnet hahahahha . . and evil upside down cross which is actually the primer underneath the old supports that i cut out.

i capped the supports that i had to cut out, not for another reason than just to try and attempt to tidy it up. kind of worked, will have to seal it up and get some paint on it to know if it worked,.

and trimming up the front guards to add a bumper mount, as i will be trying to use the ae corolla bumper. this is as far as i have gotten. need to get some box section to make up the main support frame . but its coming along nicely so far.

got this far and then i stepped on the grinder plug on the floor. . . but hey no problem right, no ! just like a fucking key, once you bend it you cant bend it back with out it braking, so with that i finished all the beer and then called it a night,. but tomorrow i might just go and buy a new grinder then i can get a 1000wat one, and stop having to swap over cutting disks and linishing pads. can never have enough tools .

so bit more gard work,

made a nice little 2mm plate to support the bumper and a bit of a gusset to support the plate.

and with that bit done it was time to make a bumper bar/oil cooler mount.

the fit isnt as good as i would like but its only a bumper so will do for now or untill i find a better solution .

here are some pictures of the front as it sits now in the garage.

am a bit all over the place at the moment, things on the horizon include custom sump, oil "an block" to conect up the oil cooler and remote filter , and finaly get around to fittig the suspension i bought months ago.

shit , so where do i start.
ive been bouncing all over the place lately ,i want to get the dry fitting stage over with so i can start the nice bit of painting and re fitting everything.
this project feels like its taking to long, so this last few weeks i have been hard at it , possibly pushing a bit to hard , i seem to be lacking direction, but anyway

so , for my new job i have been learning a fuck load, and this is my first sold works drawing, first part ive designed and first well everything to do with making shit using computers and cnc machining. its a block adapter for an fittings for remote filter, i chose the remote filter because i wanted to use a oil cooler and i also wanted in increase the oil capacity of the sump . so by moving the filter i can achieve both things . here are some pictures.

so i fucked around for along time trying different places to mount the reallocater, and this was the best place i could find with out having to cut away a shit tone of the inner guard or any stupid shit like that, the design of the reallocater leaves allot to be desired with regards to mounting options, but now its all done i have happy with its positioning and i feel it works well with everything else.

i also started on the power steering shit too, this is going to be a total cunt face wanker because of how tight the headers are on the drivers side, so i am going to need to remake the flared fitting and tube that go into the rack its self . its going to be tight to say the least

well this may look quite funny at this stage but this is the beginning of making a custom sump. i am basically widening it so it holds more oil, i will add some trap doors to help with sloshing around, with out spending a million bucks on dry sump systems i feel just having more oil in the system is going to help me not run out when doing stupid long slides. 1uz's don't hold allot of oil from factory compared to most v8s and i feel this is the main reason they tend to run bearing's cause the reserve is too small to begin with.

first i traced it out then i made a square around it by following its straight lines, after that i used a compass to draw in the rest of the arks , now i can measure from the outer edge to the center of the circles, this gives me a position and now i can make a digital drawing on sold works, i will use the same approach to get the wings onto the computer, then once that is done i will make a top and bottom plate, the bottom will be welded to the side walls , and the top will become a adapter between the lower sump its self and the flange of the engine

this will turn into something cool, but for now i just need some way to measure the bloody thing, looks dumb but from this i can measure it onto sold works and that's where it all begins

and whilst i was at it, i finally saved up enough money to buy a new tig welder , this is primarily so i have the ability to weld alloy, basically modify my radiator at this stage, with the hopes in getting good at it and making more shit out of alloy later in the build.

so with that i had to once again modify my welding trolley to hold the new welder. version 4.0.1 is fucking mean, i am surprised that this thing is still together its been fucked with so much, but yeah here it is in all its glory

and here is the shit for the new radiator mods , ive got lots to do again .

well, been hard at it again, have made a small amount of progress.

i have taken allot of time away from the sump modifications , i have been battling with learning solid works and trying to get other small jobs done at the same time, so i decided to just get some of the little things done and come back to the sump when i have completed the little jobs,

so firstly i decided to tackle the radiator modifications, i have been putting this of because i had never welded alloy before and the general consensus was that its a bitch , really had skill to learn and all that . but after i spent a day or too just getting the setting right i found that its actually very easy and bloody fast to weld aluminium. i even prefer to weld it now that i have spent a bit of time doing it , i find its very nice to weld almost like it flows differently .

so here is the shots that explains everything.

these are the setting i ended up with for welding alloy, i struggled to make it work at the beginning, and this is were i ended up at. hopefully this may help someone out there in internet land : )

next bit was to do the fans,

unfortunately the fans i got were kind of oddly made, and if you didn't support the face of the fan the mount would fall out of the back. very shit idea, badly though out, pissed me off . because now i had to make some kind of lip for it to sit onto rather than just being able to weld some tabs onto the car and tap some holes. so had to completely re design how i had planned on mounting the fans.

i eventually ended up with this

well i wasn't happy with the original coil overs i had made i felt that although they worked and would have been ok, that i did actually want the benefits of camber plates and adjustable shock inserts so i bought some bc coil overs , i forgot to take the finished pictures of my suspension, but the tubes are away getting crack tested. so when they come back i will add a picture.

now they don't fit my car correctly so i made these plates to weld in so i can also have adjustable caster too , i have yet to speak to my cert guy to see if they are acceptable so i wont weld then just yet.

not much more left to make, mainly the sump and high pressure power steering hose. soon it will be time for the strip and paint.

oh and i have a sneaky plan to make some custom wheels , so that will be very interesting, hopefully that will work out well for me as i don't
want to spend 5 grand on wheels . . . that will be next after my custom sump is done : )

#27 ·
ehehhe, yeah its my first car 1972 mini clubman, the carina build has been slightly put on hold so I can finish it off ,I need the room to build a rotisserie so I can stich weld up the carina chassis . so the mini has been full steam ahead for the last 8 months.
have done a ground up rebuild in less than a year, such a fun little car to drive, and here in nz the on road costs are quite high, but not for the mini because they deem it as a vintage vehicle so it cost 1/10 to drive it than any other vehicle . : )

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.