Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts
What a cool build! Thanks for all the updates. I know how much time you spent typing, let alone wrenching and welding. Thanks for sharing this and I am subscribed for more!

Very nice work! Looking forward to seeing more. Cheers

What's that thing in the corner behind your welder trolley that looks like a car, only smaller?

Discussion starter · #27 ·
ehehhe, yeah its my first car 1972 mini clubman, the carina build has been slightly put on hold so I can finish it off ,I need the room to build a rotisserie so I can stich weld up the carina chassis . so the mini has been full steam ahead for the last 8 months.
have done a ground up rebuild in less than a year, such a fun little car to drive, and here in nz the on road costs are quite high, but not for the mini because they deem it as a vintage vehicle so it cost 1/10 to drive it than any other vehicle . : )

I love working on those things. I hate waiting on parts, but they are just so dead simple. That little heater valve blew out on my friends' and it took a week to get the part in and roughly 30 seconds to change it out :p Have you switched to metal springs on yours or are you still running the rubber stuff?

Discussion starter · #30 ·
so , here we are again , a new year, and time to get back into the swing of thing, I have been getting side tracked allot . need to get focused . i went hard out on the mini project, and its so close to being finished, but then i got a bike. . . . 12000 rpm sounds so freeking sweet !!!

so any who, this is what i have been up to on the carina front

sump , its now real , just need to get the walls folded up so I can weld the sucker up. then make some kind of baffling I guess.

this is the 3rd one of these I have concocted (water bridge) and yeah its not super great, shit as welding, the flat bit to miss the belt didn't go according to plan. it was been a pain in the ass trying to figure out a nice and clean way to plumb the front water bridge, the entire design from factory is very out of the norm. so this has and still is so far my biggest chalange. I may even do this again and try find some oval pipe and pie cut it . my ocd isn't totally happy with the out come thus far .

did some more plumbing, got all the vac lines done, booster done, here is a pasanger side picture of engine bay

and started doing some cad . . but not with a computer, haha, this intake pipe is a monster, its cause I chose to keep the m112 throttle body . and I couldn't find a 4.5 inch 45 degree bend and a reducer all in one. so I just thought fuck it, just stay at that size , I have the room for it, and hopefully it will make a sweet roar and awesome dort type sounds .

this is it in panel steel. I ran out of card board for the day. so tomorrow ill get stuck into it some more.

got some other shit done , finally got some material for my wheels, and I made a sold works design of the wheels I want but cant find. the elusive Riverge . kind of like work equips but with a bit more style . so once I have a bit more things completed I can start milling them . I figure ill get the sump done first other wise I cant stay focused enough to do to big chunks of the project at once . I always end up getting of task and starting some other half pie idea

but yeah I still have completed a few little jobs like making the heater control panel work properly, made a clutch hose up. sold some shit to buy a bike, got a license to drive it, then I got some beer, and I got a new bbq. . . . shit getting side tracked again . mmmmm bacon .

Discussion starter · #31 ·
So its been a year again. and well shit I ain't achieved much at all . not really sure where to start. 2016 was a absolutely miserable year for me , I've had allot of ups and downs, and well all I can say is ; I am fucking glad to see the ass end of 2016 !!
So with my typical fashion I haven't finished anything that I was doing ; completely but I have done heaps of random shit in no apparent order . . .

so 2017 and I have to find a new place to live, I'm now a single man, and I have got to get this beast moving under its own power!!

sump stuff , was good fun to weld up. tig welding is the bees tits !

AND HERE IF YOU LOOK HARD ENOUGH YOU CAN SEE MY EPIC FUCK UP !!!!!!!!

but its ok cause I made the flange area to small , I was going to mill the weld off where the head of the screw would sit, but seeing as I completely made an entire fuck up of the whole thing it doesn't matter any more .

so here I am starting again, I learnt allot about welding stainless on the other sump, so this time I am bolting it down to a massive bit of steel. should help to stop it from warping so much , and I gave the weld more clearance to the screws .

with the sump on its way again I looked into the high pressure power steering hoses. This was always going to be a battle, and it didn't prove me wrong at all, I started out with 3 meters of 10mm of 8mm id heavy wall pipe,I broke 2 hand benders, stuffed up 1 fairing tool ; and with allot of mucking around to get them to this stage, I scrapped allot of pipe and spent allot of time to create these, and once again I haven't finished anything, all that is needed now is to weld on the an fittings, make a clamp block to clamp them to the cross member, and buy the braided ptfe high pressure hose and that is the last of the plumbing done!

all of this just because there is no room to get braided hose with an fittings to clear the exhaust/rack/clutch hose/cross member/sump. its all very tight , but this was the best solution something that has taken me a long time to figure out, trial and error . but I'm stoked that its going to work and I can keep power steering. never really liked manual racks to be honest.

all that other shit aside, this is the cream of my year, and whilst it doesn't look like much at this stage this has been a huge driving force for me. and I cant wait to get some more operations done on these !!!!

and this is my model that I drew up from pictures of the internet hahah, I like work equips 01 , and I really like star sharks , then I came across these, I cant remember what they are called but I nabbed a few pictures and went to work modeling them up. and now finally I'm making chips , just got to dig the rest of the wheel out of all that stock : )

and that's me all caught up. merry fuckers new years !

21 - 33 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.