Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've seen the chrome and the door guard trim installed, but I think this trick is cheaper, and installs easier imho.

Dyed and Trimed....Pasengers seat is still chrome.

Heck even my 'good' seat trim has edges that are getting frayed and broken.

Some time ago I had pulled a sun roof trim from the pull-a-part thinking I could use it to replace my worn down trim. Later on it occured to me to use it for my seat trim.

This trim material is seriously tough stuff. It is combined fabric, metal and rubber. It bends easily, cuts with a sharp diagonal cutter and a bit of a twist. I tried it out and I was amazed at its strength and yet it was very easy to get it to fit.

The length of a typical sun roof trim is also just right for our seats. The best part was the price. at .60 cents per trim you will not find a better deal anywhere for this material. So my trim cost for both seats was $1.20. They also can come with a niffy chrome clip that will conceal the ends of your trim. It covers the whole seat, bottom edge too. No heat gun was needed just cut and bend then glue.

What you need.

1. 2 sets of similar sized sun roof trim. Mine was about 5/8's from top of the U to the edge.
2. Some Type of Trim Adhesive, I used 3M
3. Needle Pliers
4. Diagonal Cutters
5. Rubber Bands
6. Hard Plastic Squeege or similar
7. About 30 min per seat to cut and place your trim. Not including your paint time.
8. SEM plastic dye/paint in a can. 1 can should be plenty.
9. Gloves

Steps I used, yours may differ at home.

Clean up and brush off your 2 trims. Hang it from the center and paint it.

To start your trim you'll want to find the center of your trim. I start at the top center and work each side. I used some clamps but they were not all that helpful. Rubber bands actually work better.

As you reach a curve and direction change you need to create a v notch and cuts to ensure a smooth bend. Only cut on the inside btw. I know its pretty obvious but its better to make note of that now just in case.
Also either Buy NEW cutters or make sure yours are sharp, it will make this work dead simple instead of hard. They don't have to be expensive but they need to be sharp.

I think stronger rubber bands would have been better but I had these thin ones on hand. I use them here to help keep things in place while I cut and bend for my non glue fit.

I run one side and glue just the bottom. I will be gluing more but not just yet. Watch out for the vinyl not going under your trim.

I then dry fit the rest of my trim and make my end cut. I' took some time here becuse I only wanted to glue it once.

Glue is on and the final section goes on.

I'll let this set over night with the rubber bands on. The edge will need some touch up and I'll do that with a brush after I install the seats back in the car.

The final work is to crimp with your pliers as needed. With a bit here and there you can get a very nice tight fit.

This really went pretty quick, maybe 30 min to bend, cut and glue.

·
Registered
419 Posts
subscribed!

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
This is actually pretty cool. The only thing I would be worried about is how long it lasts before the fabric coating wears off.

·
Registered
471 Posts
bump for this amazingness.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is actually pretty cool. The only thing I would be worried about is how long it lasts before the fabric coating wears off.
I've thought about that too. Its really one of the reasons I think so highly of this material and decided to use this trim aside from the cheap price. This is very tough stuff. Imho I really don't see it wearing off, it will depend on which sun roof trim you find but this is usually a very high quality part. Most cars with sunroofs are on the upscale side

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Installed in my car.

Side note, Another experiment

I used the trim in the instrument cowl gap. I kept it short and trimed to a 45 angle. It does not fill the gap perfectly but it helps. If I end up hating it I'll pull it.

It's funny, I never did get around to replacing my worn sunroof trim. :duh: I've got extra so I'll put that on my to do list.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts