Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my name is Steve from the United Kingdom. I have been a Toyota enthusiast for over twenty years. Currently I drive a Celica ST162 and now I have acquired a 1985 MA61 in metallic blue over silver. Its 28 years old, has 77k and cost £3000. It's had a respray 5 years ago and is in totally original form apart from the after market graphic equalizer.

A proffessional photo of my ST162 done for a magazine feature in UK.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Welcome to the Forum.

Your Celica Supra is in beautiful shape. It must be extremely rare in the UK. I think the weather there is similar to the weather in Vancouver and here the cars are practically biodegradable because of rust. It must have lived its life in a covered park.

Aside from the obvious difference of RHD versus LHD there are little differences between your car and North American cars. I love your steering wheel. The North American 1984-86 steering wheel has a rather chunky center hub by comparison. Your instrument panel looks more like that from a 1982-83 North American model. North American Cruise Control and Rear Wiper controls were changed in 1984-1986 in North America to a simpler style.

The big 2.8 engine, automatic, and digital dashboard must have been quite the attraction in the 1980s!

How many owners has it had?

You will have to post more pictures of the details for comparison.

Regards,

Dale

·
Registered
552 Posts
I had a black 88 GTS years ago. It was fun to drive. Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Really nice! My wife is English, and there is always a risk that we will most from Austarlia to the UK, so I keep an eye on on gumtree.co.uk for MA61s over there. I didn't see this one, where did you find it? BTW 77K km is amazingly low, well done, it looks greats! Your engines were nicer too!

BTW all, I also found a black UK MA61 on gumtree and kept the pics, it had chrome side bumpers (door protectors), rare to see an original black imo, and everyoen who re-sprays to black has them black, where as it seems originally, they were offset in chrome!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for all your warm welcomes everyone.

I didn't see this one, where did you find it?
I found this one on Ebay. The Supra was only 40 minutes drive away so I had a chance to look at it before buying. I asked the seller what his top price was and he said £3000. I went home and looked at the bidding which had gone to £2,200. I decided to call the seller straight away and offer him the £3000 which he accepted without heisitation.

·
Registered
46 Posts
interior is imaculate, and an electronic dash !! well done on the find, hope you enjoy it

·
Registered
806 Posts
I'll echo what Supraz said, in this cllimate your machine is immaculate, probably better than mine (and I was quite happily thinking mine was the closest to showroom left in the country!). It's absolutely beautiful; not just the interior, but the engine bay - how on earth has it kept so clean?! Then again, mine's white, so the slightest spec of dirt shows up glaring! ;) I recommend painting your cam covers to complete the image.

Welcome to the world of rare-car ownership (DVLA shows just 98 still registered, 20 on the road) - head-turning, car shows and impossible-to-find parts ;) I recommend, if you have any money left over, stock up on parts NOW. Has it got the correct-size tyres? 225/60R14.

Also, a word of warning (from personal experience!) - don't let this car sit out in the rain, especially as yours is so nice, water collects in the sunroof and tailgate and eats it away. This country is far from ideal for one of these cars! They'll spend most of the year... decade... in the garage waiting for a good summer!

Keep it in that kind of condition though, these machines are so rare it's fantastic to see another one worth worshipping. Congratulations, you got yourself a bargain for three grand! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Gargravarr, thanks for the kind words. Mine is not a "Show car", I do intend to use it as an everyday car, but if I can avoid the rain I will, but if not, I definitely will dry it off once inside the garage.

Being a member of the Toyota Enthusiasts Club, there are at lest 3 mint condition Supras, one of them is a restoration. You should try and get to our annual meeting in Northampton in August every year. Being in the club helps me out a lot, a fellow enthusiast is going to give it a full service including cambelt.

It runs on 205/70/14s, but it also states that in my manual as well as the 225s :rolleyes:

I've experienced the rare parts already. I needed a front pipe exhaust and couldn't get a new one from anywhere, not even Toyota. Fortunately I used TCB in Cornwall where they had a second hand one in good condition. I tried to order a cambelt from Toyota but they had to get it from Japan so I'm going to use a Blueprint part, they come well recommended.

I'm fortunate to be able to find one in near mint condition. Its the door sill mouldings and the door body mouldings which let it down after the previous owner respray job, but surprisingly everything is bolted on very well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wish we had the smaller rear bumpers over here in the states. Also the P-Type over here didn't have the digital dash as an option as far as I know....only the L-Type. Very clean

·
Registered
806 Posts
Wish we had the smaller rear bumpers over here in the states. Also the P-Type over here didn't have the digital dash as an option as far as I know....only the L-Type. Very clean
From what I understand, the UK didn't get explicit P and L-types; according to Wiki, in '82 and '83, we got the equivalent of the L-type, without wheel arch flares and with an analog dash, and from 84-86 they had the P-type flares and digital dash. So it's dependent on year over here what those features are.

Personally I think the P-type is more luxurious than the L-type. The flares and digital dash are way more desirable than perhaps even the leather seats (especially given how comfortable the cloth ones are - I got back in my full-leather Puma last night and concluded immediately the Supra's are way better!).

Gargravarr, thanks for the kind words. Mine is not a "Show car", I do intend to use it as an everyday car, but if I can avoid the rain I will, but if not, I definitely will dry it off once inside the garage.

Being a member of the Toyota Enthusiasts Club, there are at lest 3 mint condition Supras, one of them is a restoration. You should try and get to our annual meeting in Northampton in August every year. Being in the club helps me out a lot, a fellow enthusiast is going to give it a full service including cambelt.

It runs on 205/70/14s, but it also states that in my manual as well as the 225s :rolleyes:

I've experienced the rare parts already. I needed a front pipe exhaust and couldn't get a new one from anywhere, not even Toyota. Fortunately I used TCB in Cornwall where they had a second hand one in good condition. I tried to order a cambelt from Toyota but they had to get it from Japan so I'm going to use a Blueprint part, they come well recommended.

I'm fortunate to be able to find one in near mint condition. Its the door sill mouldings and the door body mouldings which let it down after the previous owner respray job, but surprisingly everything is bolted on very well.
For what it's worth, yours is the closest to a show car I've seen in the UK. They do make fantastic daily drivers too - I used mine all the time over the summer (5,000 miles!) and averaged 30-35MPG (I know I can get 500 miles out of a tank, if I really try). It gave me no issues apart from the niggles I was aware of - I've fixed two of them (fuel tank leak and rusty tailgate), but unfortunately I went to roll Dragon into the garage on Sunday and the ignitor failed! No trouble all summer and now it won't start at all... Oh well, at least it didn't fail on me while I was out in France with my family! And at least it failed on my driveway, too.

My dad owned Dragon before me and was a TEC member; there should be some photos of it in the gallery. I would love to go to the annual meet - Dragon needs work before I can, though; the aforementioned ignitor (which I'm hunting high and low for), cambelt and all trimmings, sunroof panel and some bearings. You can get all the belts new from S&C Motor Factors for about £60, but unfortunately parts like the water pump and tensioner are only available through Toyota (or if you're very lucky eBay - I just sniped an OEM water pump for £23!). Tyres are difficult to find - I'm sure you've discovered that the 225/60s don't exist at all. I think Dragon's got the last set in the UK, and they're at least seven years old (eep). There's a few threads in the Tyres section on here about rubber that fits the stock 14" rims. Other parts, we may have to start buying from the States - I've got a thread in the Wanted section you may want to have a look at, Aaron at Rabid Chimp just sent me a quote this morning for some bits that may work out cheaper than buying from Toyota, even with shipping.

These cars were really built to last, provided they were protected from the weather - they won't fall apart on you like some modern cars! Everything holds together fantastically, plus yours is much lower mileage than mine (by about 30k) so it stands to reason yours is in better nick. Just be warned that rust is a cancer for these cars (not my words, but very accurate). Keep an eye on the sunroof and tailgate, and check the underside regularly, catch it before it takes hold. Also be warned that the fuel tank is a weak point on this car - the filler neck is located right behind the rear driver's wheel and forms a shelf, which catches water thrown up by the wheel. If it's not been done already, it would be worth painting the area in underseal now before the tank leaks. Trust me, finding non-leaking tanks or someone to fix the leaks is damned difficult!

I have two contacts for parts and repairs - Richard at RM Classics in Tunbridge Wells just fixed my tailgate rust and did a great job as far as I can tell:
http://www.rmclassicrestorations.co.uk/
Daryl King in Slough is a Supra enthusiast and may be able to source you parts:
http://tecclubinfo.proboards.com/thread/1901/seeking-celica-supra-mechanic-england

Oh yeah, and important question - have you named yours yet? ;)

Happy motoring! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes I know Daryl King from the TEC for many years. I was on the phone to him prior to buying my 2.8.

You can still bring it to the show, it's not all about weather your Toyota is in showroom condition although a reasonable standard would be nice. As long as you have a passion for Toyota cars, then that's all is required.

We all know about the dreaded rain in the UK and what it does to our cars. It's trying to find the right balance to use it, so never take it out in the rain !

I never use water to wash my cars. I use the modern waterless sprays which is very good once you get the hang of it. Obviously cars that are caked in mud would require some water but would you let yours get in that state in the first place.

I think I may have seen yours up for sale a few years back, I remember the red cross on the tailgate from a photo somewhere. I don't recall it at a TEC show though.

Regarding a "name" for it, I've never ever named a car of mine, just Celica Supra 2.8 is good enough for me. I've always wanted one for twenty odd years and now at the age of 45 I own one.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I know what you mean about the show, but it would be nice to make Dragon look as good as possible. Plus, these are things I kinda need to do to keep the car running nicely - sunroof's corroded and isn't reliably waterproof, cambelt was last done in 1996 (plus one of the drive belts is squeaking) and I've got driveline vibration that's likely a bearing. Of course, getting the car running again is even more important - need to find a new ignitor! :)

Sensible advice about the rain, I would prefer to keep Dragon in the dry but I can't afford to keep two cars on the road at present, so it's one or the other. I've just swapped my Puma on the road... which ironically, being newer, has had more rust issues than the Supra! Dragon also has a split in the rear passenger floor that's letting in water kicked up off the road, so I need to take the carpet out and weld it. Was my plan before winter rolled in, but I couldn't afford the other parts to overhaul it, so I didn't end up doing it :eekfacepalm:

I never considered waterless sprays to wash the car, not a bad idea (then again, not sure I realised they existed!) - I shall investigate. And yeah, getting Dragon covered in mud (especially as it's white!) would be grounds for self-flaggilation I think!

My dad put the England flag on the tailgate (it's gone now, lost all the decals when the tailgate was sand-blasted), but I don't recall him ever talking about selling it; he had it on the road for a year (2006-7) then it lived in the garage until I got it out earlier this year. If you've seen the photos on the TEC gallery that's pretty much how it looks now, although they might not show the new Celica-style foglights either side of the license plate he put on (I'm a bit miffed by that, though - they don't fit with the angular lines on the car and aren't even wired in!).

Still, saying something when you can wait 20 years to buy one of these cars and get one that looks (from photos) like it's just rolled out of the showroom. Worth waiting for, these are epic cars. I know I've got a LOT of work to do to get Dragon back up to spec (and it's gonna be expensive! Ouch!), so do your best to preserve yours, but above all, enjoy it :D

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
It does sound like you've got quite a fair bit to do to get it right. As you say, having the pennies to buy all the bits you need would help and you'd save on labour if you have the enthusiasm to tackle the jobs yourself.

I only have the skills for detailing as we enthusiasts like to call what is known as a car wash. I have to pay my local mechanics to help me out but I've been using the same family business for twenty odd years and they've looked after me well.

In the case of the 2.8, a fellow enthusiasat will help me give it a full service next week. We're putting on a front exhaust pipe which I got second hand from TCB.

Other items are, cambelt, new correct size battery, brake pads, new coolant and all the necessary fluids, new wipers , new headlamp bulbs and anything else that we can possibly fit in one day. Then that'll be all good to go and enjoy.

Presently I have 4 cars insured under classic car policy, all for £230. They don't normally take your no claims into account though.

Found Dragon on here : http://www.flickr.com/photos/tec_club/485735585/in/set-72157594183343634

Here's a photo of my friend's two Supras

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My mechanic fellow Celica Supra enthusiast helped me service the car today.

New battery, wipers, headlight bulbs, oil/filter, brake pads all round, cambelt, power steering belt, front exhaust pipe, coolant, brake fluid.

Fuel tank will leak when filled to the top, so will live with that for now and try and find a secondhand one in future.

·
Registered
806 Posts
If you've got a fuel tank leak, you'll be better off fixing it than finding a new one. The second tank I bought had a hole in it!

Dragon's original tank leaked from the seam around the filler neck joint so I found another tank on eBay with some TEC help, When I sanded down the top I discovered a pinhole, so I marked it and gave it to my local mechanic to fix it. Bad move. He made a terrible job of changing the tanks, scratching up the plastic in the boot in the process, and didn't fix the hole. Instead I dropped the tank myself and, since I knew where the hole was, smothered the area in Plastic Padding resin (got a pack from Halfords, it's good stuff!). The repair seems to be holding fine. Issue with a leaking petrol tank is that it won't hold the vapours - on a warm day, you'll find your fuel gauge drops when you come back to the car! I was going through about £10 worth of fuel a day when I was driving it to work (just 20 miles away) because of fuel evaporation.

Dropping the tank is not too bad a job, just need to be careful of the three pipes connected to the top of the tank - the main fuel line in particular may have rusted solid over time. Otherwise, there's a drain plug in the bottom, an access door in the boot floor to disconnect the fuel pump and sender, then remove the two rubber straps and the tank can be lowered out of the car. Clear the tank out with steam to make it safe, sand it down (nylon/silicon carbide sanding disks are amazing for this purpose and they don't spark) and see if you can find the leak. Patch it up, give it a dose of rust-proofing/underseal and you're done! :)

Again, even if you find a fuel tank (which I doubt at this stage with the rarity of the these cars), there's no guarantee the tank will be sound.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Thanks for all that advice. I echo your thoughts on a second hand tank. I wonder if Toyota still do them, might ask them.
I can save you a bit of time here - I already spoke to Toyota and unfortunately it's one of the parts they no longer keep for this car. You're looking at either a breaker's or eBay, and again it's hit and miss. You'll likely end up doing a leak repair anyway :)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts