Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,
As I've mentioned a few times, my windshield cracked a couple of years ago. I really want to get this sorted now. I thought I had by buying an RA61 windshield, but it turns out I can't legally fit a toughened windshield into a car that had laminated as stock.
I'm particularly interested in screens with a blue tint to the upper strip, classic 80s look. And I really want one with the original TOYOTA stamps because Dragon's remaining glass is all original, matching license plate etching etc. Depending on how compliantly they come out, I may also need the surrounding trim as well.
If not, Toyota part numbers would be particularly helpful.
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Pilkington classics has the mk2 glass in their catalog.

Reactions: Darrow and ddd228

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pilkington classics has the mk2 glass in their catalog.
Yep, they can make one, including with the tint, but there's 2 issues:
  1. Made to order, with a 12-week lead time (not exactly a bad thing in the current climate, but)
  2. Can't replicate the Toyota OEM markings. I want to keep those since all the other glass is original
It's on my 'last resort' list.

·
Registered
921 Posts
I was just reading on the Pilkington Classic site the following:

Classic Car Glass

"We've been manufacturing glass for today’s classic cars since the 1950’s. Every glass Pilkington Classics manufacture is handmade to a customer’s specific order. In some cases we craft the glass on the original tooling so it’s identical to the original windscreen and we can still supply it with the original trademark including Triplex & Sigla. "

Well, my 1983 (North American Model) has the following markings.

Toyota
DOT23 Nippon Safety
NSG M4911

NSG is Nippon Sheet Glass which is the company that now owns Pilkington. I would suggest contacting the web site and see if they can use the logo as a result. I would assume that they would not put M4911 on, because that is the factory of manufacture, but perhaps they could do the rest.

My 1983 year original glass,

Just a thought.

Dale

Reactions: ddd228

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Hi , Yeah I'll have one I can spare.... Problem is the SHIPPING would be Horrendous... I had a guy in Spain buy just a Steering wheel from me... & the Shipping was $120!!! And with the Glass... I would have to design/make a Crate to ensure it got there in one piece...

Mine will be an OEM part with the original printing... but the question is how much are you willing to pay for Shipping... I used to work for a Professional Moving Company while in High School & have packed containers to ship Royal Doulton China overseas.... so I COULD design something that will have the right RATIO/ balance of Protectiveness vs lightness... but Shipping still would be ridiculous...

I remember someone looking for one with the Gold tinting at the top ... & I checked mine & it is Blue... so good on that score as well...

Anyway, if you're SERIOUS about it... send me a proper email & I can make some sort of estimate on the weight of both Windshield & Protective Crate...

Cheers,

Reactions: ddd228

·
Premium Member
7,842 Posts
Rob any update on the windscreen??

1 - 8 of 8 Posts