Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys I found a place that has my favorite looking tires
Bridgestone Potenza :dancin: ...... but I only found two,
"Now" I was told that they are V-spec rated and that they cant sell them without having four.(cause of Saftey) is this true?
Secound Question:) they will sell them for $175 each, :doh: :dancin: :dancin: I find it pricey
and would you guys recomened V-spec.

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Size????

And which model Potenza??? (there are many different variety's. For instance, one of the original OE P-Type tires available on the North American cars was the Bridgestone Potenza 137V, (the other of course being the Dunlop SP Sport D3)).

So I'm just curious as to which model Potenza. :D

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
$175.00 each sounds way expensive. There are too many other tires out there that are good, and a lot less money.

While I agree that the Potenza is a great tire (the OEM 137V that Chris pointed out) I would never pay $700 before tax, mounting and balancing for a set of tires. No thanks.

Kumho makes a hell of a tire for the money. So does Yokohama etc.

I'm getting a new set of tires this weekend - not sure what I'm going to buy, but I think it's time for a change from the Pirelli P-6000s that I've been running. Great tires, I just want something different this time around.

·
Super Moderator
10,546 Posts
well you only need two, sounds like they're trying to scam you into buying more tires then you need. Its only dangerous if exceed the max speed of your minimum rated tire. 175 is alot too.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well thanx for the answers
The size are 225-60 Vr-14 he said somthing about 137-V and being a v-spec tire. said they only have two left and that I should not mix other tires, but I also think its too much$$$
I just want to know if they are to hard.

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Hrmm...

Didn't know that the 137V came in a VR version.

From looking at the cs.com FAQ & reading the information that Greg Giacchi provided, the Potenza 137V (at least) came in a HR version w/ a 140AA treadwear rating. Which makes for a pretty soft tire. However, Greg mentions that these were last manufactured in 89.

So if possible on these 137V VR's, see if the seller can locate a date code that is stamped on the tire... If it's pretty old (like beyond 10 years), I would not push these tires around too much, who knows how much the tires have degraded from sitting in storage.

IMO, yes, VR rated tires are generally rather expensive, but if these are old stock tires w/ a old manufacture date stamped on them (like beyond 10 years), then $175 is too expensive.

Too bad these are not in a set of 4. These would make for some interesting tires for a concours resto, or show tires on some restored P-Type wheels.

·
Registered
8,519 Posts
The OE 137V's were only HR rated (I'm holding the orig Bridgestone product catalog here)... cld possibly be the very similar 147V model which has an almost identical tread design AND was avl in VR compound. More likely that this guy has the old RE71 VR rated tires. The other period Potenza is the HP41. Bridgestone still uses the Potenza name on current models, just nothing close to our OE 225/60-14 size.

PS: I finally retired my 137Vs (sadly) on my blupra when I upgraded to a new set of Wheel Collision's restored OE wheels. This time I mounted up the Michelin Pilots which look positively awesome. They are labelled as 225 series, though I think 235 is more accurate.

I'll post pix when Malloy gets around to rennovating my website. :D

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You still have the catalog? wow thanks for looking that up. So do you think they are good or bad.I still have not bought them(Travell/plans) but I dont think there is no rush since they are asking lots.
There are current Dunlops on the market now but they seem to have a flat wall look, same with the BF-goodrich flat wall. The old Dunlops and Brigstone have more of a round wall(I guess not really important :roll: )
Maybe the Pilots are better? :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts