Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i am plannin to do some kind of build or swap in the near future and i have some questions that i could use advice on. I originally wanted to do a 1j turbo swap but i was thinkin that with the money i have to do that i won't have enough to do anything else like new suspension and aftermarket drivetrain stuff...so i started considering either a 6m build or 7m swap....with either of these i should have money to do alot more than just motor. So i was wondering which of these would give you a good amount of bang for your buck? I want something were i would feel a good increase in power which im sure all would supply, but wat is a better transition/choice for a budget around 2,000(my friend said he is able to find everything i need to do a basic 1j swap for this...) but like i said i wanna do alot more than just that. all input is appreciated

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Keep in mind i wanna do a build or swap to a turbo motor

·
Registered
673 Posts
it depends on your goals. if you want more HP go 7m. seems to be the best bang for your buck. i went 6m and its unique but doesn't offer that much more power and still a son of a whore to find upgrades and even stock parts for.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I heard 7ms are blow head gaskets quite often though...is that true?

·
Registered
152 Posts
7m heads

The aluminum heads are notorious for overheating and getting warped, but I would not let that stop you. Do regular oil changes, coolant flushes, and make sure you keep an eye on you gauges.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Word? That wouldn't be a prob cause i do regular changes/flushes. How much do 7mgte swaps usually run if you don't mind me askin?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Cost $$$

I'm not sure really because I bought an Mk3. Every time I take it out for a spin I imagine that motor in my 85 and it gives me chills. I'm thinking it could eat your budget right up plus some but it would be worth it. Up allll night :zzzzz:

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Haha Billy, his starting budget is about 2K, so...someone gotta save up :)

Best bang for your buck is keeping that good ol' 5M :) I'd have to find my Mark 3 donor for almost nothing to even start building up a 7MGTE. I saw one for $400 one time, but passed on it. No room to keep it while it's under the knife. I'd throw money ino the engine sure, but the donor car gotta be damn near free for me to start.

I shall not consider swaps while my 5M doesn't need to be pulled.

What are your intentions to do with the car deth?

·
Registered
13,182 Posts
2k will hardly get you the prerequisite braking, suspension, and wheels/tires required to take advantage of it.

...of that budget, do wheels/tires, suspension, and standard maintenance, and don't worry about the motor.

--billyM

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well hmmmm. There are plenty of donor cars here, and id like to run stock turbo motor for just now. Like for example idk if this is a good deal but i know a guy at a shop that is swapping his 7mgte which is slighty built to i 1j and he said he selling the motor which is in perfect working order for like 800 with everything 7m except the tranny i think. Does that sound like a good price? Keep in mind tampa is a pretty supra happy place lol quite a few shops around here specialize in them but mostly 3rd and 4th gens

·
Premium Member
5,600 Posts
You gotta be shittin me. Read. Use the search function and type in 6m 7m swap, etc. This same question gets asked every couple of weeks and answered and it's been going on for years. Go back a couple of years and you get a lot of good info.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
So he'd give you the stuff under the hood, ECU and wiring harness for $700? Not bad, but like I said I found an entire CAR at one point for $400. I had just bought my pickup though, so I had no money and no space so didn't even consider finding out how FUBAR'd that package really was.

If he was keeping anything under the hood, your $700 tag would start rising real quick and as Billy said, your car still has to be made to handle the increase in power.

This swap can be done cheap, I.E. buy a BHG turbo motor'd car, fix the BHG and swap everything over and do NOTHING to your car, but you will pay in the long run, this forum teaches you that. These guys don't do shit like that, and for a reason haha.

Unless you gonna save up some more cash, keep your 5M in tip top shape.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well i would search but i have to use my phone to get on the internet and its slow as hell. Thanks everyone for input its really helpin me gauge the project. I think ill keep my 5m in better shape and redo my brakes suspension and all the other stuff and save up more and once thats done ill plan the swap. Like i said my friend found the basic stuff for a 1j swap but i wouldn't be able to re-do brakes etc so thats why i considered a 7m cause i wanna do the project right not half assed

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I found a n/a 7m but the car had electrical problems...the guy wants 400 but im pretty sure all the electrical stuff in it is fried, is that worth it still?

·
Premium Member
5,600 Posts
No. I just picked up a 7mge with auto tranny from an 89 Cressy for $100. Running fine at 130xxx miles. I recently acquired a 'refreshed' 7mge for $300 - new headgasket, etc.
it's a buyer's market right now

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Found a 1jz gte with tranny and i think the ecu for 1200, needs a wiring harness but its got me thinkin now lol

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
And its a manual tranny and everything is in working order

·
Premium Member
6,133 Posts
You got a garage? You have a place to store donor cars/parts? You got tools? Whos gonna do your adaptor harness for whichever swap?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have a place to store donor cars/projects, i got the tools and i have a mechanic friend who has the tools i don't and is gonna help me do the swap, i wanna do it outside of a shop because i wanna learn how to do this stuff myself, i don't wanna be one of those kids to were the engine misewell have gotten how it is because the ''engine fairy'' built it for them and not know anything about wat was actually done lol

1 - 20 of 23 Posts