Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Hrmmmm.... For the diameter for the stock rear bar, this is interesting... I had thought it was 14mm for all 3 years (except for the PP bar, which I knew was 17mm).

It's possible they could have done that, since they were trying to get across to some of the automotive testers (and the general public) that Toyota was trying to address the inherent understeer problems that the magazines complained about, back in 79.

At least the numbers for the front (that I have stashed away up in my head) are still correct.

Others??

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Chris,
I have my '79 project and an '81 parts car with the stock suspension. I'll measure both rear bars to confirm.

Scott,
Is it possible to be too nerdy when it comes to Supras?

If so, there is no hope for me!

Edit- the nerdiness continues - here are my measurements:

My '79 MkI - rear bar 15mm, front swaybar 22mm
My '81 MkI parts car - rear bar 15mm (? that's what it measured - checked it twice!), front bar 22mm
MkI PP (from my parts stash) - front bar 24mm

·
Registered
12 Posts
well reading this thing(even though i skipped a couple pages) there are something that i would like to add about the suspension.

for rear shocks, since you can use camaro shocks in the rear its pretty obvious you can use kyb agx's or koni's.

hopefully i am right about the front struts but if you do the mkII strut assemblies you can most likely use REAR struts from an sw20 mr2 for the FRONT. but you would either have to shorten the strut tube or add a spacer to it like these http://technotoytuning.com/media/products/asts_01.jpg(or maybe these actually might work?)

hopefully this was of some help?

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have also heard that AE86 Corolla coilovers may work with minor modification. Supposivly they are the same. Im going to do the T3 rear 4 link and panhard sometime soon.

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
well reading this thing(even though i skipped a couple pages) there are something that i would like to add about the suspension.

for rear shocks, since you can use camaro shocks in the rear its pretty obvious you can use kyb agx's or koni's.

hopefully i am right about the front struts but if you do the mkII strut assemblies you can most likely use REAR struts from an sw20 mr2 for the FRONT. but you would either have to shorten the strut tube or add a spacer to it like these http://technotoytuning.com/media/products/asts_01.jpg(or maybe these actually might work?)

hopefully this was of some help?
Unless you need something REALLY stiff all around, you can just go with the Tokico HP's (the blue ones). And yes, they do make a HP application for the MKI.

<--- What I have in the Silver Slug right now. 45K miles & they are holding up fine. Compared to the HP's for the MKII, which tend to wear slightly faster.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Is there a generic caliper swap for the rear disc brakes? I have a hot rod and I want to fit the '79-'81 solid rear axle into it .. and the bulky rear calipers (with brake cable) will not clear the frame.

Rob

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Do a little research & you'll see that the MKI Supra has something in common w/ another Toyota.....

The solid rear axle setup (including the brakes) are common upgrade items for the 85 - 87 AE86 Corolla GTS. Whether the rear AE86 Corolla GTS disk brakes (if the GTS has this setup, I'm not that well versed in AE86's) will clear the frame on your hot rod, is another story, I have no clue. You will need to ask the Corolla guys if this is possible.

Otherwise, to my knowledge, none of us have done a generic rear caliper swap. Not many of us have done obscene power upgrades that would require a brake upgrade to a MKI Supra.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Just reading some of the axle hop discussion. As for my two cents, the upper and lower arms mount to the axle too close together and on too flimsy brackets. I have never heard of a car experiencing hop after replacing the bushings with solid heim links. It would definately add some harshness when impacting sharp bumps, but the stock mounting brackets are soft enough to flex some on particularly hard bumps. I believe the floor of the car itself is also soft around the mounting points. I HAVE NOT TRIED THIS MOD ON THIS CAR MYSELF. Works well on the kit car though, and it nearly yanks the fronts off the ground, when the tires don't spin.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Also, is anyone else in the MK1 community going to the big tx2k8 meet in Houston in March?? I just sent out the head to be re-surfaced, and when I inspected my timing chain it had over 8 degrees of stretch on it. I'm taking the time to do something about the EGR setup which I believe adds excess heat to the rear of the head, and contributes to head gasket failure around the rear water jacket. 144k on what I assume is the original motor. Does anyone know where to find 5ME cam, and valve springs????? Also, Thinking of replacing my black steelies and beauty rings with the MK2 P type wheel. They are slightly wider and much lighter, but I kind of like the black wheels.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Anyone here find a larger throttle body for these? something that can actually flow some air?

·
Registered
102 Posts
the reason i made this post because i am unclear about what you said, i did read it all

One thing I have yet to do but have half assed test fitted is use a 5M-GE throttle body. There is a huge difference in size (the one on the MKI is shaped like an hour glass w/ a butterfly about the size of a 50 cent piece - if that!). It has the same 4 bolt pattern and will work w/ out too much trouble....

that doesn't tell me that either you had it work or not, so is it safe to assume it works? and you're running at mk2 tb. thanks, just dont want to be spending money on things that may not work.

Steve

·
Registered
86 Posts
I know I'm late to the party and new to the game...

Back to suspension and brakes.

AE86 Braided stainless brake hoses are a direct fit for all 5 lines. I've got them on mine.

aftermarket sway bars for the AE86 may work, at least in the front. The mounting points are identical, and the wheelbase is VERY close.

As for the front struts, I am going to do the common AE86 drift guy trick of cutting and shortening the tubes to run MR2 SW20 rear strut cartiridges in them. They call it the short stroke setup. It works very very well in the AE86 and I will be doing the same to my MK1. I will be using KYB AGX's.

Thats my input.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Good info! Be sure to check out the Ground control coilover and KYB AGX group buys I have going on - just what the doctor ordered!

41 - 60 of 65 Posts