Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I've seen a couple v8 mkii supras with a holden 308 powerplant in them mainly from Australia. Does anyone know the output of these engines (hp) and I also heard they are hard to come by, so does anyone know where one can be purchased?

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
You're not likely to find a 308 anywhere ooutside Australia or NZ, but don't feel too bad - it's basically a re-hash of an Oldsmobile engine from the 60's, and its power output is far from inspiring. You'd be far better off with a Chev or Ford smallblock if you want a cheap V8 to throw in a Supra. Even better would be a Lexus 1UZ-FE!

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

ok thanks, i was just curious. I'll wait till the 1jz's decrease in price since i only have 84k on my lil 5mge.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
yes it does :p

lol, this has been discussed to death... some people, like yourself, feel the way you do... other people are, ummm, practical, and feel that a good engine is a good engine, who cares if its V or inline...

personally, id take a 330 horse 3uzfe over an inline 6 any day, well, except maybe a 2jz, maybe.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Yeah, it's like a wannabe American muscle car when it's not! It never will be but on the other hand when sticking a 1UZ-FE v8 but it still don't "look" right! I refuse to stick in turbos on a v8 unless they can be removed from engine without removing engine from car. Looks like that's not possible with a v8! LOL. BTW, it's already tight with an inline 6 and turbo!

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
Supra Bob said:
Malloy said:
How bout a turbo small block Ford V8? :eek:

First a V-Dub.... now your suggesting a Ford? Who the hell are you and what did you do with the real Mike Malloy? :wink:
I'm with Bob,FORD power in a Supra,YUCK!!!!!!!!!!!

Bob,you forgot to mention all those FAKE Impalas.At least he could have gotten some pics of a seven-deuce,or six-four,rollin' in style :roll: :wink:

Shawn
wishing I still had my 72,w/75000 actual.Sent it to derby heaven because they were abundant at the time :(

·
Registered
177 Posts
a ford powerplant in a real car ............., no doesn't make sense

·
Premium Member
7,186 Posts
A mid 80s Caprice is just that, a Caprice. Not an Impala, or even wannabe Impala.

I though you knew a lil some some about cars...come on Shawn :D

Junkie said:
Supra Bob said:
Malloy said:

First a V-Dub.... now your suggesting a Ford? Who the hell are you and what did you do with the real Mike Malloy? :wink:

Bob,you forgot to mention all those FAKE Impalas.At least he could have gotten some pics of a seven-deuce,or six-four,rollin' in style :roll: :wink:

Shawn
wishing I still had my 72,w/75000 actual.Sent it to derby heaven because they were abundant at the time :(

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
Malloy said:
A mid 80s Caprice is just that, a Caprice. Not an Impala, or even wannabe Impala.

I though you knew a lil some some about cars...come on Shawn :D

Junkie said:
Supra Bob said:
Malloy said:

Shawn

Same friggin car with a bit more "chrome" and a few extra badges :!: Only thing they are good for is DEMO DERBY :lol: And the 77 and newer car are not real good for that.71-76 rule,unless a Chrysler Imperial is allowed to run against them.
As mentoned by you and others,I like most all cars,with the exception of Hondas and a few Ford,Gm products from about 1980 on.
Just had to give you hell.Those "square" Imps/Caprices just never looked right to me. :wink:

·
Registered
83 Posts
v8 doesn't look right...

Not the way its set up in the first pic...I've seen some nice looking V8 MK2s. If you have a 1UZ-FE or even 2UZ-FE, it fits nicely. The 3UZ-FE on the other hand is quad overhead cam and is slightly wider. I have actually dedicated lots of time to this since I'm going to in the near future drop one in my Supra (85). If you were to put one in your car, I'd recommend modefying the body before putting in that big engine.

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
Re: v8 doesn't look right...

refri3dnoodle said:
Not the way its set up in the first pic...I've seen some nice looking V8 MK2s. If you have a 1UZ-FE or even 2UZ-FE, it fits nicely. The 3UZ-FE on the other hand is quad overhead cam and is slightly wider. I have actually dedicated lots of time to this since I'm going to in the near future drop one in my Supra (85). If you were to put one in your car, I'd recommend modefying the body before putting in that big engine.
do you know what the F means in -FE? quad cam mounted in a more fuel efficent angle(G means in a less fuel effecient angle, but more powerful)

·
Registered
235 Posts
Re: v8 doesn't look right...

refri3dnoodle said:
1UZ is a quad cam, trust me! Its the intake manifold, compression ratio, and a few other things that are different between early 1UZ, late 1UZ, 2UZ, and 3UZ.

·
Registered
83 Posts
:)

actually, I found out that the 1uz is quad cam too...for some reason some of the stuff I was looking at said DOHC...But still, the 3uz looks bigger on top than the 1/2uz.

·
Registered
143 Posts
forget ford,dodge,and toyota motors if going V8. The best fast revving engine to put into a supra is a 385 stroker motor. I know from experience that its powerfull, revs fast and is extremly fun to have in a light weight car or truck.. I had Oklahoma's 2nd fastest street legal truck when it came down to it at Thunder Valley. 1974 Chevy Luv with a 385 stroker.
Sold it to buy a Supra though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Malloy said:
I'll be heading down this path (staying within the Toyota family though), If everything goes to plan over the next 12 months I'll have a 1UZ-FE twin turbo motor in my 84 MKII Supra, the rest of the drive train will consist of an R154 gearbox and a 3.7 Torsen diff out of a JZA70 Supra (I already have both of these so there is no turning back now).

I was going to slap a Vortech V-1 S Trim supercharger on it, recon'ed ones go for $2200 just for the unit, but I can get two T28 turbos for $450 each or two T03's for $600 each, so the choice was made for me - even if I had to get them recon'ed they'd be cheaper.

I should save about 50kg's in weight too as the V8 is all alloy.

·
Registered
15,062 Posts
you can get t3's all day for ~$50 each or less. then its ~$200 for a rebuild so what, $500 for 3 t3 turbo's? look around. there are lots of ways you can save money.
william

1 - 20 of 32 Posts