Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I performed the 6m swap earlier in the year on my 82 supra and have been having vaccuum issues ever since. When I'd turn on the A.C., the engine rpms would drop drastically rather than go up slightly. When I start the car, it always runs about 300 rpms to low until it's completely warm. I've tried swapping the lines around and now I've got the Vaccuum advance screwed up and I can't get my timing to go below 15* (EGR doesn't work and isn't connected either, I've blocked it off. I have no leaks, just need to see someone's setup so I can fix my own. I just need a few pictures. Mines an 82 with vac. adv. so later years are going to be a little different. Thanks.
I need to know what lines go to this (forgive me for sounding dumb and not konwing my terminology) and where those lines come from.

I need to know what lines go to this vac adv unit and where they go.

This picture will help you get an idea of where the next spot is.

I need to know what lines are involved here (directly below the last pic.) bottom of intake manifold.

Thanks for your help and sorry to have you get out your cameras!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So I think I may have gotten it figured out, but would still like a couple photos to verify at someone's leisure. Thanks

·
Registered
131 Posts
Mark i found all the vacuum line diag in my TSRM on the 83 if you need them i can scan and send them to you as a PDF to an email address.
Also at the top of the General Info Forum there are TSRM Manuals that show the vacuum lines for an 86 that you can download the Repair manual and see those.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Holy cow, more than I ever wanted to know... This ought to get me going though. Lots of good things to try, thanks guys! I really appreciate your help!

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
If you need a photo or a vacuum line or two traced, PM me. Mine is stock and correct.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
When you did the 6M swap, the easy way is to keep the 1982 5M vacuum advance distributor, throttle body, water thermostat housing (containing the BVSV's) and ECU. That way, all of your engine controls match and you can troubleshoot. You get the extra displacement of the 6M, and you have a matching system to control your engine. I assume the fuel injection electronics are a direct swap and the plugs match.

The 1982 is different from '83-'86 because the ECU is non TCCS and the distributor is vacuum advance. The vacuum advance is controlled by the BVSV's in the water thermostat housing, and the '82 housing has the ones you need. The '83 and later models use electronics to advance the timing.

If you start swapping controls from one model year to another, make sure the pieces are compatible, or understand the differences enough to do a workaround. I don't know all the differences, but the ignitor, distributor and ECU are different for later models and aren't a direct swap on a 1982.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
That vsv with the electrical lead, it's connected to the a/c idle up valve you also pictured. The vacuum line coming straight out of the end attaches to the outermost port, the one coming out at 90 degrees goes to the port in the middle. When the a/c is turned on, the idle speed jumps from 800 rpm to 1000. If you aren't running a/c, you can probably block off all of this.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts