Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, just wondering how you can tell if the vac advance is working. i m throwing an exhaust system on this weekend, a cherry bomb supper turbo muffler where the catalytic converter sits then route a side pipe out in front of the passenger rear wheel. and on friday my 82 air meter is arriving so i can throw that and a cone filter on. id like to mess around with the timing and run premium and see if i can get any life out of this car.

but yeah, vac advance. and ideas?

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
The vac advance has to ports to attach hoses to. Suck on each one. If the diaphragm is intact, the rod will move. I think it's the lower one that usually goes, as it is pulled most often. They are unavailable unless you buy a rebuilt distributor, but worth it.

Check ebay or Rock Auto. I bought the cheapest one on ebay (rebuilt by Arrow) and the vacuum advance worked just fine, and the quality of the rebuild seemed high.

Edit: I see you have an '81. You might get lucky and find a vacuum advance unit separately, but I bet a rebuilt distributor will be almost as cheap and should come with.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Not moving vac is caused of rust on moving ring inside...
Take off vac outside and oil and masage the ring inside, ,, it will solve you problem...

·
Registered
325 Posts
that muffler sounds great i have it on my 83 i love it no cat at all straight to the muffler and its nice and quiet but has good deep sound when you get on it

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Not moving vac is caused of rust on moving ring inside...
Take off vac outside and oil and masage the ring inside, ,, it will solve you problem...
Probably not, but if a squirt of oil restores proper operation, then great.

If sucking on the port doesn't move the rod, you got no advance and your car will run like ass.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts